Watashi no Shounen - Vol. 9 Ch. 43 - Life goes on...

So in the end they didn't feel romantically towards each other? Have I got that right?

I had a wonderful time on this adventure with Satoko and Mashuu. I love the author exploring this passionate, sort of cross between platonic, romantic, and familial love relationship. They want to spend that quality time together like a couple does, they watch out for each other like a family does, and they respect and want to witness each other like a good friend does.

@darudius I don't think the answer is that simple, but yeah, it didn't end with a romantic relationship. I think the "black and white" chapter is the best description of what exactly the ending means.

I still think Mashuu likes her romantically. Satoko is more on the ace scale, and I think she's probably the reason that it's so ambiguous.

Dex-chan lover
That... Wasn't a great ending.
But it did tie everything up.
Thank you for translating this.

The two things I disliked about Watashi no Shounen is how there is something lacking about the other supporting characters (maybe the backstories could have been longer or given more depth), especially that of the MC's parents and his female friend, Ogata, and how the latter part or the ending of the plot seemed rush. I believe the author could have executed it better but it's possible that the author considered doing the ending in a unique way that connects, ties, and ends everything in only 2 chapters or less with the use of symbolism.

Otherwise, I love everything about the manga, especially the art style, the way the author told the story and the backstories (symbolisms were everywhere lol), how things were given resolution, the progression (like seeing everyone grow up and what happened to Ogata, which really affected me) and how the author ended the manga in a way that lets the readers imagine in their own way Satoko's and Mashuu's afterstory.

Watashi no Shounen was definitely not cliche and I really love how there were no excessively ecchi scenes or fanservice, unlike most manga that revolves around the concept of "forbidden love".

Anyway, Watashi no Shounen deserves more attention and I'll try my best to promote it. I'm just so happy that I finally was able to finish Watashi no Shounen. Watashi no Shounen will definitely be in the top 10 of my manga favorites and I'll be wishing this gets an anime adaptation someday.
Anyway, Watashi no Shounen deserves more attention and I'll try my best to promote it. I'm just so happy that I finally was able to finish Watashi no Shounen. Watashi no Shounen will definitely be in the top 10 of my manga favorites and I'll be wishing this gets an anime adaptation someday.

Fed-Kun's army
sheesh, the people saying this ending "sucked" or "was bad" cause there was no romance, missing the entire point of the final arc of the story, not to mention the story as a whole -_-

two people can be close, care for and be happy together without stupid romance, not everything between two people is romance. There can be love without romance, and that's what these two have: they are quite clearly family.

Also, she's a mid-30's woman, he's 15-16... holy yikes ppl

as for this chapter, ya you could say it was anti-climatic but that kinda was the point. The title of the chapter is "life goes on" and it showed just that, life going on for the main two and the people/family around them. It was a nice way to end things imo

@Darudius pretty much ya, there are no romantic feelings (maaaybe from Mashuu, but he's just young and he'll grow up) and people saying there is are just going off their own interpretations.

There is an interview by the author in ch 28.5 where she straight out says she never wanted there to be an age gap romance in this story, even saying no to the editor on that. So it's clear that was never a thing going to happen in the story or a plot point written for. Sure their relationship is more complex due to their circumstances and all that, but it ends quite nicely as two people who came close and are basically a family who do love and care for each other as a family does

@Kuroiikawa completely agree, baffling to the people going "oh ending sucked cause no romance". Always these weird pedo comments in age gap manga, demanding that adults should date or end up with kids. Just yikes stuff :/

Double-page supporter
@voidox You hit the nail on the head. That's exactly why I love this series so much because the author didn't force a romance down our throats, she likes him for who he is and wants to protect him. I think it's a goddamn masterpiece. The only thing I think the author brushed over was how his father approved of them regularly meeting at the train station

Dex-chan lover
Fingers crossed for an epilogue extra chapter somewhere down the road where they have a family :)

Group Leader
Thanks you guys for the translation! Ending was a little dissatisfying... at least the ride was fun

Users who are viewing this thread