We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - Pathetic Person

Dex-chan lover
@LastNight I agree.
On a positive note, I think despite how short these mini stories are, showing support instead of shame towards a sexual assault victim is probably the best thing this chapter achieved. There's a lot of stigma still for said victims, and it's sad.

Dex-chan lover
TL;DR not reporting sexual assault is ethical lmfao
Yeah this back-to-back rape plot point is a bit of a odd decision

Contributor
I hate this type of ppl who think they're smarter than everyone else and looking down on them.

Well, at least she learned something, and will maybe be better.

Dex-chan lover
Shit whenever I give manga like this a chance it always backfires in my face. I guess i'll just stick to my safe manga's, seeing as at least the characters in them aren't all rape victims.

Fed-Kun's army
@Rin2k Ahaha yes.

The rape thing aside, teach got his shit right, rushed for a student, and also didn t exactly* know how to manage the situation, but he did it, tried, and succeeded, the last quote used can also be directed to himself at that moment.

Fed-Kun's army
@noobchicken

And another rape goes unreported. This is stupid.

I can't say for sure until we've seen more, but from everything so far, this feels like a world (a world much like our own) where the only thing reporting a rape would accomplish is forcing the victim to recall and recount the experience, further traumatizing the victim, then have the whole thing dropped for not having enough evidence to prove that the girl didn't consensually attend the sex party or consent to drink the drug. (And then there's the fact that the report itself would be an admission that the girl has been 'spoiled for marriage', to everyone involved, including her parents. Judging from her reaction to the whole thing, I really doubt that would go over well.)

And as for the schoolboys last chapter, the manga opened with a teacher and a student fucking on a desk (and there's a rather ambiguous remark about how the girl in the first chapter is discussed in the staff room, in the context of a scene where it's discussed that everybody knows she'll spread her legs for anyone), so I highly doubt the school administration would take any real action, and reporting the incident wouldn't provide any benefit, but hurt the victim and the teacher more than the perpetrators.

Is it ethical to report a crime if there's little chance of the perpetrators receiving justice, and a 100% chance of the victim being further traumatized by the process, and potentially ostracised/shamed by society?

I hope that's not going to be the main question of this manga, but it's a damn good question. (And this world is much like our own - victim blaming is a very real thing.)

Aggregator gang
Lets all remember that this chapter is happening in a different period of time, than the 1st episode.
Just read what the smart girl says and you'll notice.

Double-page supporter
at first this story is too heavy for me
but i guess i'll ride along with minna san

@genm9zombie it seems I spoke too soon. Still on the edge from Gal Cleaning.
@EaterOfBooks You raised some good points. Honestly, the whole situation sucks. Either we traumatize a poor girl and have a chance to imprison the guy or we let a criminal go and potentially claim another victim. Add into the fact that some women make false rape claims and we have some people using that as the basis for victim blaming.

no, author, i do not wish to suck the teacher's cock. now please stop shoving it in my face and justifying it with "ethics".

Fed-Kun's army
@noobchicken

It's a rather murky ethical territory, isn't it? (The next chapter goes further into the idea of authority systems that should be helping their inmates not doing so.)

I think that might actually be the point of this manga, but we'll have to see.

Aggregator gang
Talking about making a lot of experiences,broadening one's horizon, when just a few minutes before they talked about rape and a sex club.... The pacing let me think not about ethics, but about broadening the horizon through the sex club of her boyfriend.

Group Leader
I dont know about you, but I don't think someone would go from "about to jump" to "lets go to karaoke" in the space of 3 minutes of average conversation

Users who are viewing this thread