We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - A Good Life

10/10 chapter
great writing, and I'm falling in love with the characters by the chapter.
Perhaps one of my favorite manga teachers next to onizuka.

Dex-chan lover
Tfw I somehow just realized there are more chapters (3+) today lmao. Anyway, good chapter as always. Also there are so many quotes that can be taken from here (other than actual quotes). I love it.

Fuck now I regret not having to experience learning the explanation of arete=schizoprenia in my philosophy class

Dex-chan lover
haha mc once again proving how fun of a character he is by interpreting everything through philosophical ideas.

I was super interested in his reaction when she said "I'm certain that you've been loved by many people". I wonder when we'll get to know his past

This is something very nice read from time to time. to be able to rinse down all the fantasy and sci-fi with some philosophy, this is becoming a good read.

just a reminder to the people

having a delirium isn't neccesarily getting schizophrenia all of a fucking sudden

Stress is a factor in mental stability and if you are stressed for long periods of time you can actually get people to hear voices and seeing shit. In fact, an contrary to the people belief, individuals with a severe major depression can develop hallucinations, that are a lot more normally in maniac, borderline and psychotic individuals

Fed-Kun's army
Stupid, is what I think the girl is. Why wouldn't she be? But then again so am I. Being human is such a pain in the ass.

Fed-Kun's army
The teacher is such an understanding person god bless... I wish there were a teacher or someone like him in my school life too.

I...just got the jokes and reason why the girl laughed at p36.
He was calling 'Honda' but saying 'Toyota tagline' .
Moving Forward.

Fed-Kun's army
@Disguised22 although it's actual meaning is "reason and common sense isn't enough to attain truth", sensei meaning in this chapter isnt far from wrong, because he is basically telling her to not fully trust whatever people said as a truth. its still in sidharta's intent, to only perceive truth only by observing your surrounding with experience.

the general translation isnt wrong, its just way to vague that it can easily be mistakenly interpreted. however, by some coincidence the sensei isnt in the wrong by saying "you dont need to trust what i said" because its still in the category "reason and common sense isn't enough to attain truth"

Dex-chan lover
Good to know that I've been in a standstill for the last three years in terms of my arete! Yay!

Nothing good have happened since middle school. I got into college and then that's it. Just studying and socializing just enough to make social connections to ask my peers for info I'm unaware of. All my study is from the lecturer's presentation and the internet, nothing from peers since I never hold or been a part of a study-together meeting. My life is so bland. This must be why my parents are concerned with me never asking to be picked up late to hang out with friends. Even in middle school I asked to be picked up late because I said I wanted to hang out with my classmates, but in reality, I just wanted the school wifi to play coc. My gosh my life has been sad. I sure hope adulthood won't be like this otherwise what's the point of living if life is forever a standstill.

K enough procrastinating I'm going back to homework.

A comment on what I think may be a mistranslation on page 34, panel 1: Honda is talking about object fetishism. This does not refer to a fetish in the sense of it being a sexual kink, but the practice or belief that physical objects possess some sort of supernatural powers. The term originates as an European term for objects used in West African religious practices, voodoo dolls and other idols (in the sense of religious or spiritual icons or tools, of course). This term is much more rarely applied to European or Asian religious iconography such as prayer beads, Christian relics, Shinto shrines, et cetera, though a post-colonial view of the definition could certainly be applied here. Historians, economists, and psychologists reapplied the term in other contexts, such as Marx' theories of commodity fetishism, where the object (and the circumstances of its production) is ascribed economic value (a barrel of petrol is worth so and so many dollars, rather than how many hours it can fuel a generator; an employee's worth comes from their contribution to their employer rather than their contribution to society or any inherent worth as a human being), or Freud's... odd ideas that as best as I can tell revolve around either developments in parental relations or assertion/affirmation of masculinity (the pick-up truck, the unnecessarily high-caliber firearm, the collection of fandom memorabilia, etc.).

In Honda's case, however, it's more accurate and useful to point to the far less esoteric concept of the imaginary friend. It is somewhat worrying that Honda manifested Ryuu to cope with her social anxiety, and as a teacher Takayanagi should at the very least have suggested visiting a therapist, but as a coping mechanism it isn't on the whole negative, and I can also respect that he sees how it has helped her be good and how he chooses to commend her, even if I don't think it's the healthy way forward in the long-term.

Who hurt this guy? Every facial expression he makes conveys pure suffering.
Is this the burden of having memorized so many philosophical one-liners?

@chaser I'm not sure about that toy story reference, though there's another film called "9" that's way closer to the subject, you may want to watch it, it's a good movie.

Dex-chan lover
hmm yes my reaction on each chapter so far

chapter 1 > go to the police
chapter 2 > go to the police
chapter 3 >go to the police
chapter 4 >go to a psychologist

Dex-chan lover
Huh. Since the manga is about philosophy (or ethics, if you prefer) of course the main character is going to couch everything in terms of philosophy, but come on, surely you must have taken SOME paedopsychology classes to get your teaching degree. This is pretty textbook stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread