We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - Studying for Yourself

Group Leader
triggered

aIzGxHq.jpg

Dex-chan lover
The citation page 34 makes me think waaaaaaaay too much for my sake ><

Man that was deep. However, i thought we would have more about the boy from the last chapter but it turned out to be a new guy. Oh well, we'll see if they will have more content later on

Edit: Thank you Reica for the translation <3

Dex-chan lover
I feel terrible for this kid. All that pressure. All that effort. And then all the self-loathing when he is unable to live to the expectation of the people he loves the most. I saw a lot of that as I made my way through college. Deeply unhappy young adults striving in mediocrity and missing out on life, chasing after wealth and prestige like they were the defining factors in life and always falling short of reaching it.

Dex-chan lover
We have a saying in engineering:
"Did you really chose this course or your parents did? If not, change course. "

I've seen a lot of first year shift to another course after the 1st term. Most of them was forced in taking engineering.
And this chapter really reminds me of that quote.

Group Leader
What is Reica at the end? A quick google search... photography?

Contributor
@KiTA
The scanlator of this series, you can see that it's the same as the uploader's name

Contributor
Pretty sad chapter.

I knew some people like him with parents putting so much pressure on them.
Most of time, it didn't end in a good way.

@Kyanon same for the citation on Page 29, especially if you think about how did he help others until now.
I mean, it's a teacher's job to show them the way, but they shouldn't get too much into others' affairs because it will backfire sooner or later. That guy who ran away after he heard him shouting should be such example.

Not to mention that Ethics itself has contradictory 'teachings', the easiest one would be the difference between Kant and Rousseau when it comes to human nature. Kant said we are inherently evil and society/laws keeps us from doing evil deeds, while Rousseau said we are good by nature and we didn't know about evil before the first society was formed.

Now, during class it's obvious he will teach both of them but what he says and citates out of class shows what he believes in... And it's really sad at this point. Someone pointed out in the last chapter that the teacher 'fell way too fast' while in my opinion he didn't fall - we just got to know him better.

Dex-chan lover
Damn that one hits close to home. When I was young I thought I’d become a doctor like my father and grandfather were. However when I started studying biology I found that I didn’t really like the subject and preferred hard sciences, design, technology, IT, maths and visual arts. In the end I went to a grande école and graduated as an engineer and now now work for my uncle’s trading company. You never where life is gonna take you.

Aggregator gang
This was a damn fine chapter, I really like how they handled the situation by recognizing that despite having the best of intentions, all that effort made by the mom ends up placing a huge amount of pressure on the kid.

It's nice to see that sensei won't force his own views on others and can recognize when he's starting to go too far. Even if he isn't a perfect teacher as seen from the previous chapters, he still does what I think a proper one would do: help and guide students towards growing on their own.

As always, thank you translators for this chapter~ I feel like we'd end up getting spoiled with the amount of consistent and fast releases.

Dex-chan lover
Reminds me of a story I read; not sure if it’s true or not; but the kid was forced by his overbearing parents to become a doctor. He of course, hated it, but went through with it anyway. Aced his MCAT’s, gross anatomy, and worked the awful hours until graduation came. He got his degree, walked over to his parents, handed it to them and said “Here’s what you’ve always wanted” and broke ties with them there. Never did anything medical, but wound up with a six-figure job (electrician or welder I think).

Dex-chan lover
Say what you want, but it's still better than forcing him into a technical school out of law obligations and then throwing the kid out soon after.
The mother went an extra mile for her son and I can't criticize her for that.

Gray is my favorite color in manga.

The mom is overbearing but not so much, the kid is being pushed but he likes it, the dad is a dropout but he's happy, the teacher is a busybody that knows when to back off-and when to continue.

Very good chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread