We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - Studying for Yourself

I love that the boy doesn't just straight up confront his mom about the situation after talking to sensei. Some talks can't make one change that quickly. At the moment he doesn't seem to have any passion anyways. However, from now on he will be constantly thinking about what he truly wants to do and that's good enough.

Dex-chan lover
I feel bad for the dad. I wonder why she married him anyway.
They don't seem to be on the best of terms...

Dex-chan lover
I'm just relieved that he didn't choose the oath of ethic/humanities after that talk - it would be quite dissapointing

Group Leader
Oh... it seems that this mom is just all talks and big mouth... I mean, seems like she's loud and annoying, speaks whatever she thinks, but she doesn't actually resent or seriously wanting ro hurt anyone with her words (well, from what can be seen)

Dex-chan lover
I can relate waaaay too much with this chapter...and none of it is positive, really...much like him, I’m not sure I’m capable of changing my core

I never had much of a preference in studies and got used to taking things on as they come...no rush, no passion. To this day I’m still not sure what will come from my academic pursuits but I at least want to honor the hardwork of those who helped me get here.

Double-page supporter
This author writes the most life-like characters I've ever seen in a manga.
Amazing.

Contributor
Oof this is too relatable of a situation. Like, it's hard not to want to work as hard as you can for someone who sees that you're not super smart or talented and accepts that. They're working harder for your sake now, because you weren't naturally good enough, because they want the best for you. They won't say it, and they may not think of it like that, but that is what's happening. And it sucks

man this is too relatable i was not as mature as this kid I had high grades but the moment my grades aren't sky high my parent would shame me so at my last year in HS i decided to let all of their expectations down and make them give up on me . it was half a success

I wish a teacher or someone had told me this in high school... it's painful to admit but Hajime's relationship with his mom is a (milder) mirror image of my relationship with my mother... my entire k-12 life was driven by the fear of disappointing my mom or getting punished for bad grades; and I was conditioned to believe that if anything, I should be profusely thankful that my mother was putting so much time and effort into my education and 'pushing' me to do my best. (I still kinda believe this and I get overwhelmed by guilt and shame every time I dare to think otherwise...) Almost everyone around me was in the same type of tiger mom situation (gotta love Asian communities lmao) so I actually felt grateful that my mom was so "easy" on me.

Once I entered college I realized that without the fear there was nothing motivating me to work hard at school anymore, haha. Wish I'd found a passion to motivate me instead of spending my childhood in constant anxiety.

I'd really like finding the origin of that Heffer quote. Can't find it anywhere :/

Dex-chan lover
Jesus christ that mom is a fucking nag. More obsessed with her husband's wallet than his happiness. Doesn't seem to care what her son is actually interested in studying, or that he's doing so in a healthy manner.

Dex-chan lover
*hugs everyone who relate to this chapter and the boy*
The mom isn't a very tiger Asian mom (as she didn't actually scold her son...not anymore anyway and accepted him) and I quite like that. I believe she's also doing her best for her son. Pressure exists on both sides (on her and her son) no matter what, I feel. It's complicated, I'm afraid I can't explain it well right now.

Anyway, I also like that the effect isn't immediate. Real life doesn't work that way, after all. At that side, this manga is realistic and I love it a lot.

Double-page supporter
This chapter hit way too fucking close to home. This is probably the most relatable chapter I've read so far. I never even thought of this issue before or saw it in this light. This is definitely something I'm gonna think about later.

Users who are viewing this thread