We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Vol. 4 Ch. 18 - Confession

Double-page supporter
I feel bad for Ichika, but it does really seem like Takayanagi has some serious baggage - i didnt even know he was married!

Also, its sad that they graduated, im gonna miss seeing those guys ❤️

Dex-chan lover
So yes it has been a year, but the only thing that we know from that entire year is that the following day after going to karaoke she was back to acting like she always did, hell she was back to her old self by the end of the same chapter.

We never got an internal monologue from her, and the topic was never addressed, all we got was her outer facade which remained unchanged for the entire series, she of course was never a main character not even when we learnt what happened to her, but then after that she became practically a background character, and i was hoping for the opposite to happen.

Some extremely important changes must have happened off-panel (i assume, it has been a year) to the point that whatever they talked on that rooftop is now not worth bringing back, that or...

Maybe she never took his words at face value, the key things that day were the intentions behind Takayanagi's words and not the contents, the promise itself was never important, and it was in that very moment with the power of good humor that she moved on from her assault, she understood that she was not damaged, that she had value beyond her body and experiences, that there was more to her life and that regardless of what happened people still appreciated her and thus that she should appreciate herself, it all happened in that one moment, and then she went to karaoke to get some catharsis and complete her mental recovery... i don't believe in the second option, i believe that she went under a lengthy process.

So what happened In that year? did she bury what occurred to her an her worries and is now living in denial? did she wait for a year to the mixer with Takayanagi? or did she got over that promise, or did she never took that promise seriously? what is motivating her to keep on living now? what did she found to sustain herself? is it her new found friendship with Miyuki? did she went through the proper channels to report her rapists? did she got herself checked for possible STIs? has she gone to therapy to deal with the violent event that occurred to her? has she started dating again after her first boyfriend ever gang raped her and drugged her? Were the after class talks with Takayanagi and the other girls her only form of counselling? does she still want to become a bride or is she aiming for something else in life?

When i say quickly, i don't mean that she recovered instantly that day, what i mean is that we didn't got to see how this girl dealt with what happened to her, the way the story is presented it never focused on her.
I think the reason for the author not giving it any more exposure was because she thought it would be a "normal" recovery and it couldn't add anything to what she was going for with the story.
My take is, the author is hyper-focused on doing her thing with the MC.

Dex-chan lover
I want her to make a comeback in the future as a teacher. That would be amazing

Dex-chan lover
Wow I wasn't expecting a graduation chapter already but cool. I feel bad for her getting rejected but I saw that coming. I hope she finds happiness in some other way or meets some one else. Also we got info that he's tired of being married

Double-page supporter
"A tailor cannot sew his clothes." It's an idiom from my mother tongue. The meaning is that a person who solves the problems of others can't solve theirs, such as how a psychologist needs another psychologist to solve their problems.

He teaches others to love themselves, but he can't love himself.

Dex-chan lover
Statistics are facts, after marrying once, it strips you into what is real. I am not going to disagree with Prof here.

Harem us actually an abomination born out to enslave. Many of the harem actually sold their wives and children.

Dex-chan lover
In our town there is a saying: a doctor is killed by self medication.

"A tailor cannot sew his clothes." It's an idiom from my mother tongue. The meaning is that a person who solves the problems of others can't solve theirs, such as how a psychologist needs another psychologist to solve their problems.

He teaches others to love themselves, but he can't love himself.

He asked the question beforehand so he could answer he wants the opposite to justify the rejection. That's why Aizawa calls says he's playing dirty.
Oh, I didn’t get that in my first read. I thought she meant dirty as in like she already thinking ahead about going marry, which is not makes sense. But the dirty reply a bit off to me I just let it slide.

Users who are viewing this thread