Welcome to Japan, Elf-san! - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Dex-chan lover
Id actually might use these services if they were fucking caught up and not dripfeeding chapters once a month when its like 3 years behind

Contributor
Better then J novel club since this is subscription based
Yeah, wasn’t that a whole creed here? “Piracy is a service issue” or something like that?

This is a no-strings-attached manga subscription service that gives you manga at a monthly rate, no price gouging or anything. I thought that’s what you all wanted.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, wasn’t that a whole creed here? “Piracy is a service issue” or something like that?

This is a no-strings-attached manga subscription service that gives you manga at a monthly rate, no price gouging or anything. I thought that’s what you all wanted.
There are, as I see it, 3 main drivers of manga piracy:

1. Lack of legitimate quality translation
2. Lack of easy access to said translation
3. Annoying business models

A subscription based service that gives access to everything for a single flat monthly fee solves problem 3 (kind of, not really, but it's good enough for now), but it doesn't solve problems 1 or 2. Legitimate translations are spread out among a bunch of different services and nobody really knows where to look, and nobody cares to split their time looking at a bunch of different services for titles. These legitimate translation services are also often considered to be poor quality translation (I mean, really, these are the same people that inserted the nonsense about GamerGate in Prison School), and regardless, they're slow (often years behind), meaning for current content there is still a lack of legitimate quality translation.

No legitimate manga translation service is going to overturn foreign language manga piracy until all 3 problems are solved. I would love it if there were a legitimate translation platform with a half-decent business model with many, many high quality translations that were timely and current, but we don't have that platform and I don't know that it will ever exist.

Last edited:
Contributor
There are, as I see it, 3 main drivers of manga piracy:

1. Lack of legitimate quality translation
2. Lack of easy access to said translation
3. Annoying business models

A subscription based service that gives access to everything for a single flat monthly fee solves problem 3 (kind of, not really, but it's good enough for now), but it doesn't solve problems 1 or 2. Legitimate translations are spread out among a bunch of different services and nobody really knows where to look, and nobody cares to split their time looking at a bunch of different services for titles. These legitimate translation services are also often considered to be poor quality translation (I mean, really, these are the same people that inserted the nonsense about GamerGate in Prison School), and regardless, they're slow (often years behind), meaning for current content there is still a lack of legitimate quality translation.

No legitimate manga translation service is going to overturn foreign language manga piracy until all 3 problems are solved. I would love it if there were a legitimate translation platform with a half-decent business model with many, many high quality translations that were timely and current, but we don't have that platform and I don't know that it will ever exist.
Putting aside that the whole Prison School thing was in the dub and not in the sub on the same streaming service, and people didn't give two shits about the dub until the moment they heard that line, unfortunately there will be no perfect solution because now a couple of publishers want to have their own services to exclusively host their titles. It's basically like television streaming.

There are plenty of services which offer high quality translations that are timely or current, but due to one reason or another people don't want to buy into them.

Users who are viewing this thread