What Do You Call This Trash - Vol. 2 Ch. 21

Double-page supporter
Recapping the current situation for those who lost the plot.

Big bro: Son of the dad from a prev marriage. The mom hates him, the dad dislikes him bc he's cockblocking him from getting to the mom, only little bro loves him unconditionally, so in return he hardcore simps his little bro.

Little bro: As far as he knows he grew up in a typical loving family. Has a good camaraderie with big bro's current gf. Hardcore simps for his big bro's ex gf.

Yan ex gf: Dad died before she was born, mom did not take it well. Spent her formative years in a twisted household, got kinda twisted herself as a result. Hardcore simps for the big bro.

Current gf: Shining example of a hot extroverted otaku. Vibes really well with her bf's little bro. Doesn't have any obvious messy background so far.

Group Leader
Reposting this here to get the news out; you can expect to see this same announcement at the end of next chapter.
Hi, everyone! Thought I'd give an update here rather than wait for the next week to give out a TL/N.

We're currently on Chapter 21, and we're expecting around 6 to 20 more chapters until the finale. The author has announced on Twitter (along with their birthday) that the series will end "summer or autumn (maybe winter)". Because of the bi-weekly schedule of this manga, this means late June (6 chapters; start of summer, 13 weeks until), late September (13 chapters; start of fall, 26 weeks until). Under some very big "maybe"s, we could be looking at a finale at late December (19 chapters; start of winter, 39 weeks until) or around this time next year (26 chapters; end of winter, 52 weeks until), but I wouldn't count on it that much.

No goodbyes yet; I'll be seeing this series until its end. Next chapter comes out on April 1!

Dex-chan lover
Hey-yo, what's up! It's me! The TL person! Here with another plate of piping hot translator notes!
  • (p. 3) I'm still unsure if this really is "sewing kit" or not.
  • (p. 4) "Heck yeah!" was supposed to be some Gen-Z abomination like "poggers!" I destroyed that idea after cringing at it for a minute. It also probably didn't fit the supposed time period this takes place.
  • (p. 4) "You're way too good" was supposed to be "You're too OP". It got the same treatment as the previous.
  • (p. 6) This was dialogue from Ch. 5, p. 7, but modified. The power of retcon!
  • (p. 7) Again, "Konatsu Yuuto" is family-name-first order, just like I established it back in Ch. 3.
  • Not fun facts: around 19.7% of married men and 16.9% of married women in Japan are re-married. Unfortunately, much like in many cases of re-marriages, there are incidents of child abuse or neglect towards tsureko (連れ子; children from a past marriage). As it seems, Kai is a victim of such.
  • There's a bit of a disconnect between the monologue and the way that I translated the monologue and child Kai's thoughts/speech. A goal I kept in mind was to preserve the much older talk for the monologue, as it's a recall of older Kai-nii, and have a more childlike speech for younger Kai. I also tried my best to make both parents speak like they're grown ups. If that came off as weird... whoops.
I was under some time constraints for this chapter, so I might have gotten a few words wrong or just wrecked a sentence entirely. You're welcome to cross-check with the raws and correct me if I got something extremely wrong. No hard feelings, I'll even be thanking you! Maybe you could even give the original tweet a boost! And follow the mangaka! DO IT!

Next chapter should come out on April 1, 2023, and that's not an April
Fools joke! That's it for now!
Thank you for the hard work

Contributor
Kai and Yuuto are half-brothers, huh? That explains the parental favoritism completely. Also, Kai doesn't actually like his brother that much (or didn't, as a kid...) so one of his main reasons for being extra good to Yuuto is because that's the only way his stepmom will treat him neutrally (as in, better to be mostly ignored than to be mostly abused.)

I hope Shion doesn't turn into another crazy, she's like the last normal person with no deep mental scars or emotional baggage to worry about. Kai is holding up so far, but maybe even he could snap in the future.

I love these translator notes. I'm older than Gen-Z, so personally I appreciate the decision not to use that stuff here.

Dex-chan lover
Ohh, so they are half brothers... maybe even stepbrothers. It's still pretty shitty of her to treat him like that, though.
That, "They don't beat me up." Did his biological mother beat him up? Poor dude, and it's insane that he turned out so well (from what we have seen) after being treated like dog shit by his family. I guess Yuuto being a nice loving brother is what saved him and kept him sane, thus Yuuto is his hero.

Oh shit, he actually didn't like him when they were little... oh shit. It's understandable, but oh shit. I thought he was "a truly good brother", but it makes sense for him to hate him.

Man... he really had a rough childhood, his half brother/stepbrother became his oasis, but now there is a crazy girl about to destroy his brother's happiness... I hope Kai and Shion stay together, and he has a good ending.

The parents in this manga have all being really shitty.

Users who are viewing this thread