What Do You Call This Trash - Vol. 2 Ch. 22

Group Leader
Hey, hey! It's the translator note dump truck!
  • (p. 1) Yuuto's figurine for Kai is displayed at the couch side table.
  • (p. 1) The sound effect here is actually "douwaaaan" 「ドゥワーン」, but since it's obviously just turned daytime and Kai is just waking up, I decided to switch up the sound effect to make the "alarm clock" sound more universal.
  • (p. 4) A "split" is bowling terminology for when you've got two pins at the edges remaining after knocking down the pins at the center. Very bad to deal with, since you either need two more balls to hit the two pins individually, or do a sick trickshot where you hit a pin using the bounce of the other pin.
  • (p. 6) "AJ! He sounds so stiff!" I know! That's how I sound like when I'm talking to my professors too! It's called politeness!
  • (p. 8) "Tetsuji-sensei" 「鉄筋先生」 (lit. "rebar") seems to be an allegory for the author, "Tetsukazu-sensei" 「鉄一先生」. Note how the first character is the same. Just prior to this chapter's release, they tweeted "Every time I look back, the 'Saturday two weeks from now' is right behind me. Horror!" Guess Shion-chan's mother is a manga editor?
    • On the topic of Tetsuji-sensei's name, "Tetsukin" is actually how "rebar" is read, but I chose the alternative (and kun-yomi) reading of 筋 to get "suji" because... well, it just sounds better doesn't it? The lack of furigana here means I have to get creative.
  • (p. 8) "I wonder if it'll snow tomorrow" is a joke about how Tetsuka- I mean... Tetsuji-sensei was able to finish before the deadline. Rarity. Maybe even an impossibility.
    • I think it's worth noting, at least, that all chapters of Kono Gomi o Nanto Yobu have been on-time, with the exception of a single day where a chapter on Fanbox came out a day late. Since the chapters you see aren't sourced from Fanbox (which are just sketches), you probably never noticed that.
  • (p. 9) Hey, at least she's open-minded.
  • (p. 10) I was unsure what to translate 「こんなんで引くような男子には紫苑を任せたくないなー」 as. I chose to keep very close to the original text, so this ambiguity is from the manga, not from me.
  • I used more hyphens than I wanted for this chapter. Sucks.
  • You'll notice that the ellipses are also on a separate line than the text. That's because the bubbles for this chapter are so dang narrow. Hard to fit text in.
I initially teased on Twitter that I'd make everyone speak British for this chapter. I eventually decided against it, since I wanted to get this chapter out as fast as possible and releasing a 22.1 after the fact would have ruined the fun. This chapter was much more adventurous for me, since I got to work with different "politeness levels" (Japanese keigo), fonts, and just general speech manners. Next chapter will be out on April 15, 2023. That's all for now!

Dex-chan lover
whoa...
it's going to hurt a lot knowing that he was forced to two-timing her
I'm really praying that she'll understand, but I know that realistically she wont. 😔
To be honest though he doesn't deserve the compassion, he's made this stupid choice. I can already forsee this ending with Older bro and stalker girl getting together in the end. Infact whats so weird is this series has completely dropped the younger bro out at this point.

jak

Contributor
Why do I feel like it's more of an inferiority complex that's fueling this idea that his step-mother hates him?

Fed-Kun's army
If Yuu wasn't a s i m p we would have already reached the happy ending by now. Unfortunately it looks like things will go downhill from here.

Dex-chan lover
Hope, he got a little tiny ray of it after such a long time, and i'm pretty sure the author gonna riiiiiiiiiiip it out for extra dmg :angery:

Dex-chan lover
Sad to know this series won’t be long running, but here’s hoping for a good ending.
After having a chapter explaining Kai’s perspective and all he wants is to be accepted, I’m betting he’ll fall extra hard for his GF knowing she has such nice parents.

Sad that he’s technically in two-timing her with a crazy person.

Users who are viewing this thread