What exactly is sniping, and why does it make people so angry?

Dex-chan lover
There were a few series where, for whatever reason, someone had posted a new chapter before the regular people did. I think that is the basis of 'sniping' (right?) but I'm quite confused on why the comment section of the chapter is full of vitriol. Why does it matter so much? Is it not easier to just ignore it?

I suppose it's just people being people getting angry of such non-consequential matters as 'sniping', but perhaps I'm overlooking some aspect of scanlation that I can't comprehend.

Thanks!

Double-page supporter
On one hand, I can understand why some people would get angry, it may feel like an insult, like they are telling you your tls are not good enough, especially if yours is already decent enough. On the other hand, I do sometime wish more people get into translating a same series, as some groups really take a long time to release one chapter when there are still many raws ahead.

However, trash MTLs are bad no matter what unless they have a good human editor. (in which case we wouldn't have known it was MTL anyway)

Last edited:
Group Leader
There are two outcomes for sniping:
one is when the sniper is a terrible translator, in which case people get to read a subpar chapter, aggregators collect this chapter and people are generally unhappy.
The other is when the sniper is good at its job and release a quality chapter, in this case readers don't really care since they get to, you know, read something comprehensible; the "regular people" will get angry for one reason or another, but that's on them and only affects readers when they make it a matter of principle and stop working on that title.
Ultimately, whether or not a snipe is bad depends entirely on the quality of the chapter and whether or not the "regulars" get assblasted.

Dex-chan lover
Well it's a matter of pride, and I suppose maybe even attention, though that sound rather rude.
1. Once one person does it, usually it is that person's version people read first and stick too, which sort of makes any other version made after unneeded no matter if it is better or not.
And that's really the only reason I can see it.
One thing I've noted is the recent series "Jojolands" Two English Teams were working on it's translations: Dogpark and Hi Wa Mata Noboru. The Former usually posted chapters which were in translation far better in comparison to the latter. But, the latter would manage to post chapters of various qualities most of the time before DogPark.
And now, after chapter 8, DogPark has not translated another chapter to my knowledge. Hi Wa Mata Noboru having translated 9-12 through the proceeding months.
IDK if Dogpark stopped because of this, but it may've been a contributing factor even though I'd always reread the chapter with Dogpark's translation.

Dex-chan lover
Part of it is the worry the original scanlator will stop working on it because of the sniper, and the sniper is poorer quality. This usually only happens with snipers that consistently snipe the same series every week.

Dex-chan lover
idk if there's etiquette for mangadex specifically, but r/manga says that the 'waiting time' between each updates to where it'd be ok to make a request for someone else it pick it up is 3 months, tho it's prolly best for some ppl to just also have it on their own site as well otherwise it's best for ppl to just join together but i tend to read the slower slice of life stuff that ppl wouldn't go outta their way to snipe anyways

Dex-chan lover
To answer the "why does it make people so angry?" question in more specifics: it makes the group that was sniped angry because they likely had most of the chapter translated already and were just finishing up on it when the "snipe" happens.

Basically, while the fan TL scene is very large in its entirety, there's a still not an infinite amount of effort to go around - every release is usually days of work by a dedicated team. Having this work duplicated means one of the teams could have done another chapter of another work instead - it's a waste to have two copies of the same thing in comparison to two different things.

The other issues raised in earlier points about quality differences are valid, too, I just wanted to lay out what I see as the primary reason people are frustrated: duplicated work sucks.

Last edited:
It would be one thing if another group picked up the work because the original group either stopped or were far behind on updates, but it is another thing entirely when it is done to people who are still updating it on a regular schedule.

I do not personally mind "snipes" in the sense that who translates what Chapter isn't as relevant to me as the actual quality of Chapter Translations is. If the new group (or individual) does just as good of a job or better, then it is perfectly fine for them to do so in my opinion, even if it might invalidate the work the previous group had done.

What I do take issue with however are those done in poor quality, simply for the sake of catching attention by being the first to get new chapters out. Particularly in the case of those that are essentially just advertisements for their own websites. You know what I'm referring to, ones filled to the brim with watermarks on practically every page.

Dex-chan lover
Most of the snipes are done by low quality speed scanlators, and they do it to pick up popular series because they have a patreon, a kofi, paypal, and perhaps an ad infested web site. Since their releases are poor they manage to release before the original scanlator, which might get demotivated and quit because less will read their work, it won’t be uploaded to aggregators, and someone has already done the same work.

One of the worst groups were arang scans, who probably was one of the most greedy and harmful groups. They sniped both solo leveling and mieruko, and they tried excusing it with that their releases were late, which they weren’t.

In general snipers ruin it for everyone except themselves. They cause scanlators to quit and series to be abandoned, they do it for profit and will drop a series if it gets less popular, and they keep chapters behind pay walls and dubious stuff like that.

There is really no rules in scanlation as it is all illegal, but obviously sniping is harmful and the general consensus is that it should not be done. But when a group is slow like hell and release a chapter every two months for a weekly manga, it’s hard to say that it’s not warranted. There’s several groups that hog popular series like this too, but cause a scene when they get sniped. How about R15 is a pretty recent example of this. The group should never have pocked up the manga in the first place if they were going to be this slow.

Dex-chan lover
How about R15 is a pretty recent example of this. The group should never have pocked up the manga in the first place if they were going to be this slow.
I stopped translating that manga because of some drama behind the scenes. It's probably totally abandoned at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread