What exactly is sniping, and why does it make people so angry?

Dex-chan lover
Because he hasn't used an AI tool like ichigoreader or cotrans, he's typesetting edited MTL himself. Most likely he OCR it with google lens and run it through chatgpt or something.
Sorry, I finally gave it a check, and the dude's just making shit up.

EDIT: I tried Ichigoreader, and I ended the "(LMAO)" line showed up. I think he's using Ichigoreader for this.

x693bi.png

That's just a page and a half. Weird how using AI is supposedly against the rules, but making shit up isn't.

You don't need to use the app, I just use it because it's easier. You can use regular credit cards with bookwalker and don't need paypal,
Ok. Telling me about the app, then talking about what a pain it is made it sound like a necessary step. But if not, then all is well. And I can buy the manga digitally through Bookwalker?
CMOA and Kobo is fine outside Japan.
Didn't even know these existed in the first place.
My point being that it's not hard at all.
I'm just now finding out about this after months of trying. It sounds pretty hard if we consider that this isn't all common knowledge.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Sorry, I finally gave it a check, and the dude's just making shit up.

x693bi.png

That's just a page and a half. Weird how using AI is supposedly against the rules, but making shit up isn't.

Ok. Telling me about the app, then talking about what a pain it is made it sound like a necessary step. But if not, then all is well. And I can buy the manga digitally through Bookwalker?

Didn't even know these existed in the first place.

I'm just now finding out about this after months of trying. It sounds pretty hard if we consider that this isn't all common knowledge.
If I had to guess he's probably using ichigoreader for translation, it adds a lot of unnecessary stuff. Or he's being liberal with the translation.

You can buy directly at the bookwalker store yes. The reason I use the app is that I rip raws by screenshotting there, the apple app has better quality than reading on the web viewer. Not that it's recommended using screenshotting for ripping raws, but at least it works. Kobo is the recommended one for ripping raws since you're able to do it with scripts, but I haven't done it myself.

I think it's fairly common knowledge, also a lot of mangadex entry pages have direct links to amazon and bookwalker. And ebook japan, but I haven't used that one. I think most people use bookwalker though since it has used to be the one with the best quality.

Dex-chan lover
If I had to guess he's probably using ichigoreader for translation, it adds a lot of unnecessary stuff. Or he's being liberal with the translation.
Yeah, I checked it. He's almost definitely using Ichigoreader. The translations change depending on how much you give it at once, but a variation of the "(LMAO)" line showed up.

r6p2xj.png

But I'm still wondering where the rule against MTL is. Help me out there? I already looked, but I couldn't find anything.

I think it's fairly common knowledge, also a lot of mangadex entry pages have direct links to amazon and bookwalker. And ebook japan, but I haven't used that one. I think most people use bookwalker though since it has used to be the one with the best quality.
It really isn't. I tried the amazon route, and the Bookwalker one seemed like it would give me similar problems. But hey, I'll be trying it out.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, I checked it. He's almost definitely using Ichigoreader. The translations change depending on how much you give it at once, but a variation of the "(LMAO)" line showed up.

r6p2xj.png

But I'm still wondering where the rule against MTL is. Help me out there? I already looked, but I couldn't find anything.

It really isn't. I tried the amazon route, and the Bookwalker one seemed like it would give me similar problems. But hey, I'll be trying it out.
1.7 Uploading a chapter created by a tool that automatically edits and generates translated pages is not allowed. This includes tools that allow for additional manual editing after the automated process.

Earlier this week a guy got uploading restrictions because of it.
https://forums.mangadex.org/threads/why-hasnt-my-chapter-been-uploaded.1825279/

So yeah, maybe you should cheekily recommend him using cotrans instead of ichigoreader? At least his translations would be more correct. It uses GPT3.5 too, but it doesn't add a lot of the unnecessary lines. Though it's more MTLish if you can call it that, it's pretty obvious that it's MTL if you don't edit it properly. Still it's probably the best free translator tool out there currently, even if the result don't look that great.

Dex-chan lover
The reason scanlators care about aggregators is because the first version out will be uploaded to the aggregators, and they rarely bother updating or switching out the releases. There are far more people reading on the different aggregators than on mangadex. So if someone release a low quality MTL chapter, most likely no one else except a small handful of people on mangadex will read the later good release. Which is demotivating for a lot of scanlators to be sure. Remember that mangadex is not as big and well known as people here make it out to be.
No offense but this is such a useless and ignorant reply. Not because I feel that way about your opinion, but because you failed to notice the fact that I directly replied to this exact comment from a different person, practically word-for-word.

I don't mind if someone said I need to STFU because my posts are too long, I'll just laugh it off. But if you're going to interject at my reply to someone, at least have the decency to be caught up on what we're talking about.

And yes I did just ignore the rest of your post. It's equivalent exchange, brother Edward.

EDIT: Actually in hindsight, the fact that you replied to my reply with the same words as the OP means that MY reason you SHOULDN'T be acting like this is YOUR reason that scanlators SHOULD act like it.

That's hilarious considering I just made an FMA reference, this discussion about self-sabotaging agitation is like a snake eating its tail. You will never see the end of it because my retort is your cause. HAH It's like telling a kid not to feed a troll, they don't understand the concept of "just let them be" yet because they don't know how many things are out of their control yet, they just see that they need to(in their opinion) take even more control somehow.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's there isn't such a thing as bad practice then I guess I'll just start taking a shit on people's lawns. You call me delusional, but you think it's fine if people act like dicks just because they're online. There has to be etiquette, even if it's not bound by law, I think as humans we can freaking act civilized. Thinking that's impossible is twitter mentality right there. Hope it doesn't bleed into your everyday life.

Jesus.
How are you not seeing that you just compared a person uploading an edited copy of a manga online to a person defecating on private property, and then calling me the twitter user???

It's such an ironic moment to use a whiplash comparison, so very much full of sensitivity and mountain-making of molehills that I assumed you were being sarcastic for entire days before realizing you were serious.

I think Jesus is who you need, young lady.

EDIT: (in case you were being sarcastic, I admit you got me. lol This was well crafted.)

Group Leader
How are you not seeing that you just compared a person uploading an edited copy of a manga online to a person defecating on private property, and then calling me the twitter user???

It's such an ironic moment to use a whiplash comparison, so very much full of sensitivity and mountain-making of molehills that I assumed you were being sarcastic for entire days before realizing you were serious.

I think Jesus is who you need, young lady.

EDIT: (in case you were being sarcastic, I admit you got me. lol This was well crafted.)
But I do have Jesus :wtf:

Users who are viewing this thread