░▒▓ what future are we heading towards ▓▒░

Dex-chan lover
i always had a positive outlook about the future, but these days things have become a bit worse , for instance the economy . cost of living rising is on the rise , companies laying off employees and what not. tbh i'm a bit skeptical now. what do you think

Dex-chan lover
To be honest, the cost of living where I am at barely went up, but it's mostly due to the landlord getting scammed for not checking the houses and bought trash apartments.

Economy isn't that bad, you just have to look for deals now more often and plan ahead.

Though companies laying off employees pretty much sucks, anybody who gets layed off is sad.
Otherwise, I pray everyday to get out of this hellhole that is called the "USA" and texas.

Dex-chan lover
i always had a positive outlook about the future, but these days things have become a bit worse , for instance the economy . cost of living rising is on the rise , companies laying off employees and what not. tbh i'm a bit skeptical now. what do you think
Congratulations! You've taken the first step toward becoming old. The upside is you made it! The downside is old.:haa:
Otherwise, I pray everyday to get out of this hellhole that is called the "USA" and texas.
and texas.
and texas.
Thoughts and prayers, man. Thoughts and prayers from some distance north of you on I-35.

Dex-chan lover
This timeline is screwed,
But there's still a solution
At my disposal.
qU1fKWn.gif

Double-page supporter
– Global population is still rising. Since all people need food and shelter, those would naturally continue to become more scarce and therefor expensive for the foreseeable future. Especially rents, since living space is more difficult to optimize than food or even medicine production.
– Population growth is very unequally distributed around the globe. Some countries like Nigeria have an extremely high birth rate while most European countries for instance have a slightly negative one. This leads to huge migratory waves from the former to the latter, especially since long–distance travel has become increasingly easier in the past decades. Migration always comes with difficulties for all involved parties (finding shelter, employment, (language) teachers, policemen, etc. for immigrants is never free).
– Climate change reduces the amount of habitable and arable land, especially in countries closer to the equator. Countries like Pakistan report new record temperatures each passing year, making certain regions there permanently inhabitable in time. The people living there will probably have no choice but to migrate (see above). Even regions not becoming inhospitable experience increasingly frequent extreme weather conditions (for example the extreme bitter cold on the USA‘s east coast last year), making life a bit more challenging.
– Not many probably remember, but computers were originally developed to reduce the amount of working time for all people. Instead, the trend so far has been to use the time gained to work even more. I know many people, myself included, who do not support this trend unconditionally, and think this global working arms race should slow down or even stop, especially as AI continuously improves and may have influences on the job market not yet foreseeable. Many people I know nowadays also seem to value some free time over a high income.

Conclusion: I‘m actually not that pessimistic, because all of these issues are being registered and discussed worldwide, so humanity as a whole will probably find ways to deal with them in time. Though I must admit to be a bit biased, since my country is way wealthier and politically more stable than most others. Local trends also are always a different matter tHan global ones, I guess.

Dex-chan lover
I've never let context prevent me from being pedantic; no point in starting now.
Not many probably remember, but computers were originally developed to reduce the amount of working time for all people.
Depending on what you want to define as a 'computer' - a term originally applied to humans who computed tables of mathematical information such as logarithms, roots, etc., that could then be published in reference books, or who worked on time-consuming derivative and integral calculations - most of the early units were built to perform complex calculations (Babbage's machines and the analog differential analyzers from the first half of the 20th Century), collate data (the early Hollerith machines, which were ultimately a component of what would become IBM), calculate artillery tables (American efforts up to and through WWII - some overlap with the differential analyzers here), or crack codes (the British efforts Turing was involved in). There was no thought to more general applications of these technologies initially - they were designed to solve specific problems or sets of problems in specific fields, and it was only later that broader applications were sought.

As an aside, I have a copy of a book from 1963 (withdrawn from my high school library when I was there between 25 and 30 years ago, because it was already way out of date then) titled 'Computers and Thought' (published by McGraw Hill) that collects a number of essays from the preceding decade, starting with Turing's well-known article about the 'Turing Test' and working through an overview of then-current attempts to get computers to 'think.' It is interesting how many of the problems and questions found here are the same as the ones current discussions retread. Anytime someone says we're on the cusp of a breakthrough on some problem, I pull this down and flip through it, and generally find that a similar stumbling block was being dealt with 60+ years ago. 'The more things change, the more they stay the same.' Hence, I tend to view any prognosticating about how AI is going to do this or that to be good for a laugh but not much else.

I do generally agree with your analysis.

Users who are viewing this thread