What's the worst manga you've read?

Contributor
Minimum , or to be frank, anything from this author (like @sterven , who hated Holy knight).

Why ? Because the main character in these story are probably the worst i have ever seen.
It's so cringe, You just want to strangle them everytime they open their mouth, it's...fascinating ?

Probably that one where all the adults turn into killer chickens and kill the kids. Its godawful

Fed-Kun's army
I don't have any manga that I dislike to the point of hating. That said, in terms of Mangas that I disliked but told myself "let's keep going, we already started this ride so we may as well finish it" just to dislike it at the end, I think there was one called Dolls code that I would put as the worst (maybe because it's so short that I could finish it quickly enough to know I didn't like it at all). Simply put: it's "bad" at worst and "not good" at best in story, art is decent. Characters are uninteresting. The end is resolved by the power of friendship, and not just any friendship, one from a group of people that had been togheter for less than 2 weeks.

Like, there's manga that isn't really good but at least it entertains me enough through whatever degeneracy or stupidity it has, like reading a manga with the tags "Giantess, foot fetish, vore, ecchi" out of curiosity, or that it's so bad it's good in a bad way (like some horror films). Hell, I liked Pupa for christ sakes, my bar isn't high I just want to be entertained to some *decent* extent.

@flash87 I knew what that was as soon as the english name was there. The author continued the series with actual Hentai so I feel the story was never really the focus, so much as just the setting to have a reason to molest the mom

Dex-chan lover
I still get upset thinking about Spotted Flower.
Its about an otaku married to a normal woman and how their daily life goes with her being pregnant. Suddenly, out of literally no where, the husband decides to cheat on his wife because while she was at the hospital giving birth. An ex came and congratulated them and he felt "insecure" about it. So the otaku goes home and calls up his trans college friend (who also knows the wife is at the hospital on bed rest right now) over to his place for sex and she agreed. And then later, the wife finds out and she's just ok with him cheating. Everything was so random I was waiting for the "its all a bad dream" chapter and it never came

Fed-Kun's army
Naze Todouin Seiya. It SHOULD be your average romcom, except the MC is a complete piece of **** that never learns. Insufferable until the end, and he gets WORSE as the story progresses, actual cringe. Basically a manual on what NOT to do in any social setting ever.

Dex-chan lover
Everything made by Matsuda Eiji (except jitsu wa watashi wa), anything made by Mizu Asato (except aharen-chan and all the oneshots), Fuuka, anything made by Sasuga Kei, and a bunch of stuff from Cool Kyoushinsha.

Matsuda Eiji always struggles introducing drama to the story. The drama in Sakura Discord, Toumei Ningen, and Shuukan Shonen feels really forced and needlessly overly emphasized.

Mizu Asato always have a good start with interesting premise and everything. After 10 chapters or so, the original premise would usually lose its impact and the manga become really stale.

Fuuka because of the "very sharp turn" in story and how annoying the MC was.

Hate everything she made cuz of the stupid, pointless, and needless drama she kept introducing.

Cool Kyoushinsha have same problem as Matsuda Eiji.

@Jesus agree with you on this. Not sure it is the worst I have read, would have to think about it some more but it is definitely in the running. The sad thing is it had an interesting idea but it was horribly implemented. I read through the first loop + a little hoping since it was a neat idea but it just sucked too much too continue.

I just don't like sasuga kei and seo kouji works,it feels dumb to read them. Maybe there is someone like to read them. I guess it's just not my cup of tea

Dex-chan lover
To be fair, Suicide Boy is more about Bathos and dark comedy @w1nter_proxy

Its the type of comedy that focuses more on awkward laughter and us trying to sympathize with the Main Character. Hence why as the series progresses, more and more people start to create a support group around him and try to help him even if he doesn't pick up on it. Its not meant to be a "stereotypical, slice-of life" kinda shtick but it does what it does well and is decently well written for what it is.

This same thread's existed before. Then, as now, one of the worst I've read is Mohican-zoku no Saigo, Sugiura Shigeru's Last of the Mohicans. It's almost incoherent how the plot, if you want to call it that, jumps around. I had no idea what the story was about going in, having neither read the original novel nor seen one of several movie adaptations. I can most assuredly say after reading Sugiura's version, I still have no idea. The English release was meant to be the first of several early post-war manga volumes put out by a new publishing imprint; I think they released one other book before they flopped, and I'm willing to blame their choice of this story on a lot of that. If your manga volume's historical essay about the author is
1) longer than the actual manga,
2) more entertaining than the actual manga, and
3) seems to point to the conclusion that the mangaka of you manga was a plagiaristic hack,
you should probably rethink your publishing choices.
The only other manga I can say I've hated is actually a light novel tie-in: xxxHOLiC: AnotherHOLiC by NisiOisiN. I adored his take on Death Note, and loved xxxHolic, so I figured this would be a home run. However, a lot of my enjoyment of the original manga was the relationships between all the characters; the novel included only Watanuki and Yuuko. No Doumeki, no Himawari, no Mokona, no twins, and no Tsubasa crossovers (not generally a bad thing in my opinion, but I would have taken Syaoran by the time I got to the third chapter.) It was like NisiOisiN sucked all the color out of the series. And in both these cases, I actually bought the books, though not at full price, which irks me even more.

Suicide Boy is not a bad web comic, its just hard to read because how depressed the character is.
@Tamerlane because of your explanation on what is the authors focus on the story is. I now understand and maybe in the future, I might read Suicide Boy again.

Dex-chan lover
I'm the type that appreciates darker stories so I don't find something like Suicide Boy, which may focus on dark comedic elements but does not depict suicide as correct and slowly tries to change the main character into not being suicidal and having a support group that bad at all. It does what it does well and the depiction of depression is accurate albeit hyperbolic a bit. I do like it as a change of pace and it definitely has a unique style all of its own that you can't really conflate with something else. @w1nter_proxy

Gal Cleaning is what you get if a rush an arc at the end instead of slowly build up to it over the course of many chapters and rush for a conclusion. I'm not against the
rape of a beloved character that MC solves in the past, but you build up to that reveal, foreshadow it and get us invested into the characters instead of just throwing them into that situation. It's too rushed to be statisfying and it doesn't work as the MC and FMC don't get enough time with one another to complete the arc of "I dislike you" to "I love you."

As for Ijousha no Ai, the first chapters are good at establishing what kind of story this is, but it kinda falls apart towards the middle and then saves it at the end. Really the worst parts are between when he wants to get his revenge and
it only starts to get good again when he has to live with his Yandere stalker. The section in the middle gets kinda derpy and things don't make sense,and start to become a bit derptastic. The ending third is really satisfying, but I'd shy away if the the fist half ain't your cup of tea.
@cubealert25

Overall, I have noticed a trend of darker stories that contain rape/murder getting lower scores just for having them, which I think they can be done well like in You Loved Me So Much it Hurt where each character is complex, we are invested in all of them and are realistically portrayed, and no one is necessarily the good/bad guy. I wouldn't suggest it for the faint of heart, but it is a good story. (Then again, one of my favorite comics is Criag Thompson's Habibi, so I may just be desensitized to fucked up shit at this point.

Usagi drop 2nd half. Don't get me wrong its a good and wholesome manga and anime adaptation on how the guy sacrifices alot for the child, but the moment it time skips and that bundle of mess unravels at the 2nd half; oh boy. It was like the author itself said "I'm gonna end this mans whole career" and self destructed themself. I havent seen a manga series kill itself so badly.

Uratorou. It had potential at the start, but after a certain point it became disgustingly bad. I hardly remember anything. I forced myself to forget this manga. It gave me absolutely livid feelings and introduced me to the reality that bad manga existed. More than half of the characters disappear out of existence. Potential villains have their introductions but never get to see the light. They just... stopped existing. Never mentioned again. 2nd half is a dramatic shift out of nowhere. Literally everything was going great but then our main character gets slam dunked into oblivion. Our second main character turns into the exact opposite of what he once was. My understanding of the plot ceased along with it. World building happened, I think, but none of it actually mattered in the end. Nearly every single character ends up gone, never mentioned again in the second half, much like the first. All the interesting characters are dusted. The only characters that actually stay relevant are the two main characters, of course. Even the climactic villain at the end is abruptly, out of nowhere, pulled out of someone's ass. Then it's done. I think it was axed. I can't imagine why, hm?

But now that I research more about the manga and fellow reviewers, it seems that a lot of people actually like it. I'll respect their opinions, though now I feel like an asshole. But I stand by my feelings. If you trash characters without giving them a proper ending or at least ANYTHING that signifies that they didn't just fade away into obscurity, well. I just won't like you.

https://undeadimpulsereviews.tumblr.com/post/166792095532/uratarou-re-review-heavy-spoilers

This review of the manga really sums up my opinion on it.

If we're talking about the worst manga you could ever read, I probably don't have anything too crazy. I usually drop a manga the second a hint of something I'm not really fond of comes out.

There was this one manga where the popular girl started talking to the unpopular guy and asked him to film her, I thought it would be a cute manga although there was a horror tag, but then the guy who bullied him came up who looked like a douche, and it turned out he was her boyfriend. I had a feeling it would end up with him having to watch and film them (do the do) which I greatly dislike so I dropped it immediately. Other people could find enjoyment in that, but I don't really.

The manga I like are usually cute romcoms. And I dropped some that seemed really sweet and interesting until they somehow made a chapter that forces unnecessary drama, or creates drama, only to then solve it in the most 'what? That's it?' way.

The worst manga I read are mostly Isekai manga.

The biggest problem with them, is that most of them, just rush the stories or make it so the characters fall for the MC for the slightest reasons.

If a character falls for someone, it's better if it's because they've been really sweet at them for a long time, and not just 'You're cute', and suddenly they're in love.

They use tactics such as 'love at first sight', 'I like the color of his hair, he's my type', 'he said I was nice', 'he patted my head once', 'he's strong' and tropes like that just to skip character development and just rush into the 'I'm madly in love with the MC' events.

Some bad romance mangas also use the 'he picked my eraser for me so I love him now' trope.

Of course, not every romance needs a really heavy backstory, but they could at least put a bit of effort into it.

The reason Isekais fail this the most as well, is because they're mostly harem, and the difficult thing about harem, is that they have to focus on one romantic interest at a time. Because of this, 'harem-ish' scenes take time to happen, so people who are into harem lose interest through time, not only because of impatience but also because some have low attention spans.

Due to this scenario possibly happening, the authors rush into the self-insert, reader pleasuring situations by cutting out any long-winded arc to build character relationships and instead just throw out the 'she loves him now' card right at us.

That is why harems could not 100% rival against one on one romance anime. Because the pressure to keep up with a situation that doesn't seem too unrealistic is heavier with more romantic interests chasing after one person.

If Komi-san started off as the MC having a harem, it would not be as popular as it is today.

Manbagi having feelings with Tadano was something I disliked as well. As cute as she is, we all could predict that she was just made as a way to make the romance more interesting, when in reality, the romance between Komi and Tadano is cute enough. In the end, she'll probably have her heart broken. (Even if the latest chapter Tadano hasn't rejected her yet, we all know it's gonna happen)

Granted, there are lots of harem manga that are successful, but one on one romance authors usually do a better job at making things cute than them.

Some one on one romance authors fail as well, due to them running out of ideas to make things more interesting, so they throw in the harem gimmick, which usually fails as well.

@givemersspls yeah, it's that manga. I think people can have their preferences, but I just don't take any pleasure in cuckold stuff. I immediately dropped it, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth even though I didn't continue reading it

What made it worse was the cover art that time were just two hot girls, so I didn't expect the first thing that would open up to me would be cuckold stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread