When is Mangarock *actually* going to shut down?

Group Leader
Genuine question, though the answer is probably never.

So on the mrcomics website, it says:
Sometime in Q4
Take content off mangarock.com
Reading content on mangarock.com will no longer be possible. Visitors can still manage their existing accounts.
We will be keeping our systems running until all readers have backed up their reading data.

What do you guys think this means? Since mangarock.com already redirects to the new mrcomics site, do you think nothing will change for those who already have the app? Or do you think it means the content will still be there, but updates will stop?

Interested to hear your thoughts!

Either way I think it's scummy that they announced they'll shut down, but keep scraping behind the scenes 🙄

Supporter
I think they mean the content will be taken down, but any personal data like reading/bookmark list would still be available for some time. So maybe something like titles are there but there will be 0 chapters? If mrcomics becomes available for use and they still keep the chapters on mangarock, I doubt the publishers that sign contract with them will be happy :/

And well, they said mrcomics would come into play some time in quarter 4 but it's gonna be 2020 in ~2 days and we still haven't heard anything new from them so I doubt that timeline is accurate anymore. From what they said, it seems they did get the deal with some publishers so "never going legit-ish" is probably maybe perhaps not true, I think maybe q3-4 2020 instead? We'll just have to wait and see XD

why are you asking here?
I doubt any outsider could give you a concrete answer more than mere guess.
and I doubt any insider would spare their time looking for question to answer about their site on other site discussion board, like here.
why not asking on their forum, discord, or irc? I don't know what online discussion platform they have, but surely asking on their platform - even unofficial subreddit for example - would offer better answer than here, right?

Group Leader
@pikokola

I'm more interested to see what others opinions about the platform are at the moment since 2020 is in 2 days.

Miku best girl
Admin
I bet we will still be asking the same question in December 2020.

Contributor
Bloody hell, the resurrection (of the topic, not MR) happened in a mere four months!

Users who are viewing this thread