When the Calm Ends - Oneshot

Group Leader
I really liked this story. But I translated it because I feel like I need someone to explain to me all the themes and symbolism like I'm a dumb babby who can't read.

Idk maybe I just mistranslated.

Pointing out one easy to miss detail: throughout the story, Yura is wearing a black turtleneck under her clothes regardless of the weather. She only doesn't wear it when they board the train, where we can see some hints of severe scarring. This is also what the "someone looked under her clothes" is about.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I really liked this story. But I translated it because I feel like I need someone to explain to me all the themes and symbolism like I'm a dumb babby who can't read.

I'd say it's a story that requires a lot of digesting and maybe a day or two away from it to think through the different meanings. The obvious metaphor is end of the world = end of life, with the sea also representing being swept away by mortality. But whose? Is it the bullied girl, or her friend? What really was their relationship? Was the friend's love of the bandaged girl because she felt responsible for her? Because she caused some of them herself? Was she actually meeting her friend all this time, or was it a figment of her imagination brought on by abandoning her friend in a time of need, and the end of the world was her inexorable creeping sense of guilt?

Lots of potentially dark paths to explore, and I'm not entirely certain I want to do so :worry:

Thank you for bringing it to the, er, light :thumbsup:

Dex-chan lover
felt like shes reminiscing from the line "one year from today", but this also felt like it is the present but it doesnt have supernatural tag. :thonk:

seeing Yura deeply reminded me of Toe's グッドバイ

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I know it's a oneshot but I really need more. You can't end it on such a cliffhanger.

It's obvious the bandaged girl is being bullied and she wants to die. I don't know if at the end she was asking her friend to die together.

Dex-chan lover
I'm pretty sure the bullied girl was saying she is gonna kill herself in a year. When she says let's go to the sea, she was probably asking for help in the most obvious way. Well now, not sure if she is gonna kill herself as it ended in a cliffhanger.
The other girl is also "drowning" in guilt as well.
Well, that's what I figured out from the story.

Dex-chan lover
Oh wow, this was brutal. Really tragic stuff. Gonna give it a bit of time and come back to reread to really get it all in. Thanks for the TL!

Dex-chan lover
When Yura finally gathered the courage to say what was happening to her and it seemed like she was asking for help... Only for Koma to inadvertently shut her down with "Nobody's gonna care about it"... The look on Yura's face... The shock, the heartbreak, the acceptance... :cry:

Dex-chan lover
"Global apocalypse"
This remind me a year or so ago a certain group of people keep REEE'ing about the world gonna end with global submersing in 12 months or something.

It'd would be funny if the big reveal about all those bandages/drama are just because she took a quite spartan MMA class

Fed-Kun's army
Yep... 🥲👍
0lu4yTT.png

Fed-Kun's army

Thank you for the translation! This story is awesome, its a oneshot but as deep as the sea.

The way I see it:
Its the end of the world that these two know of.

The world they know so far: bandage girl always leaning towards twintail. Very dependent, but at the same time she never talk about her problems, only smiling and say everything's fine.
Whilst twintail, seemingly doesnt care but actually care because she's also dependent on bandage girl. Being needed by bandage girl may feel good for twintail. She doesnt want bandage girl to talk about her problems (being too close emotionally) but also doesnt want her not-needing her.

The train is the thing that separate their world and ends it. The bandage girl finally able to open up and accepted her situation. And by courageously taking the train on her own, she ends her dependency to twintail. It looks like bandage girl saves herself from the sea by taking the train. She's moving on.

Twintail on the other hand, doesnt go on to the train, separating herself from bandage girl. Twintail choose to stay stuck in their world that she know. Imo, twintail is the one who killed herself (drowned by the sea) because she actually doesnt want bandage girl to leave her...twintail is not needed anymore. She loves seeing all those bandage on bandage girl. When bandage girl talks about it, its like ripping it off.

Anyway, sorry for a very long opinion lol. I just see it that way. A very interesting story tho, I love this very much.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the translation! This story is awesome, its a oneshot but as deep as the sea.

The way I see it:
Its the end of the world that these two know of.

The world they know so far: bandage girl always leaning towards twintail. Very dependent, but at the same time she never talk about her problems, only smiling and say everything's fine.
Whilst twintail, seemingly doesnt care but actually care because she's also dependent on bandage girl. Being needed by bandage girl may feel good for twintail. She doesnt want bandage girl to talk about her problems (being too close emotionally) but also doesnt want her not-needing her.

The train is the thing that separate their world and ends it. The bandage girl finally able to open up and accepted her situation. And by courageously taking the train on her own, she ends her dependency to twintail. It looks like bandage girl saves herself from the sea by taking the train. She's moving on.

Twintail on the other hand, doesnt go on to the train, separating herself from bandage girl. Twintail choose to stay stuck in their world that she know. Imo, twintail is the one who killed herself (drowned by the sea) because she actually doesnt want bandage girl to leave her...twintail is not needed anymore. She loves seeing all those bandage on bandage girl. When bandage girl talks about it, its like ripping it off.

Anyway, sorry for a very long opinion lol. I just see it that way. A very interesting story tho, I love this very much.

You need to re-read the last part again. They were already on the train. Yura got off at the beach, but Koma stayed on.

The story was definitely alluding to a tragic ending.

I'm pretty sure the bullied girl was saying she is gonna kill herself in a year. When she says let's go to the sea, she was probably asking for help in the most obvious way. Well now, not sure if she is gonna kill herself as it ended in a cliffhanger.
The other girl is also "drowning" in guilt as well.
Well, that's what I figured out from the story.

This is what I got out of it, but I don't think that first sentence was the initial intent. It felt like she made that the "deadline" as time went on.

The bullying was only implied, unfortunately. When those two girls passed by and said those things, that can be implied it was bullying, but it was done in a way that it's not definitive. Either way, it's safe for us to assume.

There's also the part where the author showed young Koma pulling Yura along vs. present Koma brushing off Yura's problems.

This is definitely one of those oneshots that'll need a lot of time to digest.

Group Leader
felt like shes reminiscing from the line "one year from today", but this also felt like it is the present but it doesnt have supernatural tag. :thonk:

seeing Yura deeply reminded me of Toe's グッドバイ
It only doesn't have a supernatural tag cause I didn't add one haha. So that interpretation isn't invalid.

When Yura finally gathered the courage to say what was happening to her and it seemed like she was asking for help... Only for Koma to inadvertently shut her down with "Nobody's gonna care about it"... The look on Yura's face... The shock, the heartbreak, the acceptance... :cry:
The "Nobody's gonna care about it" is more like "those people who showed up unexpectedly will probably lose interest soon" (implying lose interest in bullying, I think) which I had a hard time coming up with a natural translation. I'm gonna change the line since it looks like it's causing some confusion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread