Why is the long strip format so much more popular in Korea?

Dex-chan lover
About 7% of all titles on this site are Korean,
but about 56% of all long strip titles are Korean

Dex-chan lover
@rkkn I read this article quite a long time ago, I think around 2011-2012? when webtoon/longstrip format started getting more popular. It explained that because phone uses is very common in Korea + the internet speed is really good, long strip format makes it much easier to read on phones because you just need to scroll like you would a webpage instead of clicking or swiping for a next page. This format eventually spread out in other countries with the increase in smartphone usage, but it's still most popular in Korea.

If I had to guess, I suppose the comic industry in Korea wasn't as established when webcomics started to take off. In the USA, most of Western Europe and Japan the issue/volume/magazine format is still somewhat the norm. A fair amount of webcomics is still based upon this format (though not many Koreans I'm aware of). Combining this with what AbyssalMonkey said, I can see something resembling an answer.

Going an a tangent, this is an interesting post about webtoons : https://hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/2014/08/some-thoughts-about-webtoons-and.html

Users who are viewing this thread