Why won't this image load?

Dex-chan lover
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FkbEZgVUUAE2rmn?format=jpg&name=medium

For some reason MS Edge and FireFox won't render this image I saw in @pandascepter 's post, but it loads fine in Opera.
What is it about this particular format that my browsers can't load it right? It's starting to look like I'll need to compromise on whether certain images and emogi render or find a new browser that can render this 🪠 as a plunger and render Panda's pics also. 😓

Even stranger...the failed embed displayed on the original post does load when clicked on as a url link in this post.

Solution

For some reason MS Edge and FireFox won't render this image I saw in @pandascepter 's post, but it loads fine in Opera.
What is it about this particular format that my browsers can't load it right?
Loads fine in Edge 109 here.

Note that the extension of a file actually has no particular technical relevance to what its format is.
Just like you can rename a PNG file with a JPG extension which doesn't make it actual jpeg-encoded image. It only tricks software that doesn't actually even open the file to see what's in it (for performance reasons) into assuming that it is a PNG file.

Similarly, while a website may serve a particular format at a...
What OS are you running? I've encountered some hiccups in the past between twitter and chrome, which saves images as that jpg_medium format. It may not even be your fault, just an annoying part of interacting with twitter, pbs.twimg is is the twitter image hoster domain

Dex-chan lover
Windows 10
If there are issues with Twitter and Chrome based browsers I wonder if the orange Twitter links I keep seeing in the forum are actual image embeds also. :unsure:

Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer

What is it about this particular format that my browsers can't load it right?
Loads fine in Edge 109 here.

Note that the extension of a file actually has no particular technical relevance to what its format is.
Just like you can rename a PNG file with a JPG extension which doesn't make it actual jpeg-encoded image. It only tricks software that doesn't actually even open the file to see what's in it (for performance reasons) into assuming that it is a PNG file.

Similarly, while a website may serve a particular format at a URL that suggests it (ie example.com/image.png suggests a PNG file), that is not at all required at any step from a technical standpoint. It's only common to do that because it's more natural to humans.

In this case, twitter (likely) uses something that is not jpeg to serve you the image, and your computer lacks the necessary support for whatever it actually is (AVIF could be it). Adapting the served image format to save bandwidth is a frequent technique used by tech companies. And you could be the only one affected here if you ended up as part of a small pool of users they're testing the new format with (specifically to uncover issues like you are reporting here). And maybe their test only applies if the browser is Chrome/Firefox-based, which is why it doesn't happen when you use Opera. Just taking guesses here, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's happening.

On my end, it loads in the browser, Windows (wrongly) suggests a JFIF extension, but the image is actually really a JPEG file, as identified by ImageMagick's identify tool:

Bash:
$ identify FkbEZgVUUAE2rmn.jfif
FkbEZgVUUAE2rmn.jfif JPEG 1152x648 1152x648+0+0 8-bit sRGB 49530B 0.000u 0:00.003

Solution
Dex-chan lover
Starting to think the issue may be my OS version, and I should update it to version 22h2 because I already updated Edge to the newest version and it won't load any of the TowaArt or the image inserted images. They just show as url links or file names.

Double-page supporter
Are you by any chance from Russia? Russia blocks twitter and its domains, so without vpn/tor images from these domains won't load :/

Dex-chan lover
:unsure: My Opera has some fairly comprehensive site security measures enabled and active even without the integrated VPN active so it may be circumventing some government screening measures... I am not in Russia... though the techno elite overlords in America are trying to silence Twitter and free speech on the interweb.... it could be a attempt to shadowban or throttle that site's links and embeds.
:censored:

Dex-chan lover
I think I'll dump Edge and Firefox for now, and stick with Opera because a few glitchy emogi are less troublesome then embed image fails.
R.8bf3267e5f0a00eef84f9fbb6ac4ac1b

Users who are viewing this thread