Winter Moon

the plot may be non-sensical, the combat system poorly defined, the combat may be rediculously one sided every time, and the characters OP, but the comedy is good, and the characters have personality, so it is worth a read

Supporter
read the whole thing up til now in a day, wasn't sure i'd stick with it (not my usual cup of tea), but honestly i'm fully hooked. characters were kind of annoying before but they get pretty solidly fleshed out, art continues to get better and better, and i really enjoy the progression from short chapter comedy to full length chapter fully-formed story line (even if it is a little convoluted at times). great job to the team!

Double-page supporter
@darasu The original question was a valid question. I went into this comment thread because I wanted to know why this series that officially exists in English on Webtoons is on here. And what I found instead is a series of snark and insults. Now I'm not attacking your original counter question that "what's the big deal if MD takes traffic from Webtoons versus other manga?" While could have been worded less snarky, @mikegnesium didn't make the best response on the matter either.

Mangadex does operate fuzzy grounds, but doesn't operate on no grounds like what you argued. Mangadex does not upload licensed official translations. That is why series like Goblin Slayer have 0 chapters in English here. No official translations on this site, only unofficial translations made by scanlations group motivated by various reasons (I would say by fans, for fans, but that's not quite true).

Now you may argue that it is still hypocrisy in the end. Regardless of how many rules are thrown, one may argue MD is still an aggregator in the end and effectively still disregarding copyright laws. And I don't have the ability to really effectively contest it - or at least contest with an effective argument. But I still have to say it is not quite the same either. When you look at other manga sites that aggregates with no regard, MD's rules and policies does create some kind of "difference". Maybe in the end all these rules about respecting official licenses and how to treat fan scanlations that are ultimately still unlicensed translations are all hypocrisy. But I can't agree it is exactly the same as places like Kissmanga. And in terms of the original question, it does make it confusing to see Winter Moon here when the expectation is you would not (yes, some officially licensed manga still have scanlator group translating anyways, but still relatively few)

But I digressed, to answer the original question since no one answered it, my best guess is from clicking around looking at the "translator" group, it looks like the answer in this particular instance, the translating group is the author. The author's relationship and contractual obligations with Webtoons notwithstanding, the author does not seem to mind. It's actually kinda interesting thinking about this particular author as this is a rare instance we actually have a direct audience that is usually removed by several layers between scanlators, language barriers, and the publisher in Japan.
Thanks for the explanation, I wasn't understanding all the beef, and the other guy wasn't helping, but you explained everything perfectly, with some extra information.

Dex-chan lover
i kinda wish the score for this could be reset because some people have pretty obviously voted it down for non-story related reasons

Users who are viewing this thread