Witch Hat Atelier - Vol. 7 Ch. 40

Dex-chan lover
Maybe his mind got transferred to his current body and that was the new type of magic they were researching... a quasi-reincarnation and a way for them to continue researching how to "perfect" the human body even when their previous body is destroyed and useless for further experimentation. Though him trying to prevent Orugio from getting involved is entirely on him being selfish because he doesn't want to lose his one friend on his personal quest which is ultimately self destruction

Sem

Dex-chan lover
Ohohohoho
This is why I love Qifrey.

Just when you think things are going to be happy go lucky and follow the usual formula and they're going to cheerfully join hands and work towards the goal together, Qifrey does this fucking thing.

Whatever is brewing in him is a deep deep darkness and mistrust, and Qifrey's not going to be changed so quickly with one passionate speech. Who knows how many times, to how many people he's done this now. I love this awful man so much hahhahahaha

Dex-chan lover
I'm reminded of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, and Dr Who and the Silence.

If you are in a place where quick memory removal or alteration takes place, and you think you're about to have your memory wiped, take an action that hurts you in a specific place, so after you have had parts of your memory erased, you can be aware that someone is screwing with you. Jab your fingernails into your palm, bite on one specific part of your tongue, something that you would remember about.

It won't help if you're caught by surprise or unawares, and won't help if it totally wipes you out, but at least it gives you a slim chance to be aware.

Dex-chan lover
As a technologist who remains both optimistic and determined about the potential while also now being old enough to be really worry about the risks, I can see the Brimhat's point of view. More power and potential is always a double edged sword, but the positive potential is at least as real as the negative and there should be a middle road between total anarchy and a total ban. But we haven't reached quite yet the kind of power they're dealing with, and it's believable that in practice the risks may be so high with advanced nanotech or bioengineering or AGI or whatever that it hits existential levels. And if doesn't help that just like IRL, something being illegal itself can be a double edged sword, in that it suppresses it a lot but anything remaining is also forced completely into the shadows and thus to shadier means/people.

Definitely looking forward to where the author takes this series, I hope it's a real surprise.

@Red225
Good point. In some advanced hard science fiction settings people also do things like backup cryptographic checksums of shots of their mind or have semi-AI independent "observer agents" of their own that constantly watch for changes and run integrity checks. Memories can still be lost, but the tampering creates detectable inconsistencies and checksum failures. A magic/computation version was The Laundry series by Charles Stross, where higher level agents have a sort watch-geas/daemon on them which can be invoked by The Auditors and reports whether the subject shows signs of tampering.

Fed-Kun's army
Oru best boi pls be strong

Qiffrey be shoving all ppl away from helping him 🤦

Dex-chan lover
I really thought Qifrey would cave in and tell Orugio what is happening, but i underestimated that poofy hair conviction, he is doing this with the "end all" mentality he doesn't see himself alive at the end of this road and he isnt trying to be.

Dex-chan lover
Well, his point about discovering that Orugio is "good at discovering lies" but "a bad liar" is an important one for something that is essentially a black ops mission. Qifrey is basically doing his own mini-conspiracy and trying to pursue something that authorities would prevent though for what he believes is a reason important enough to justify it. That means keeping it concealed is crucial. It's not just about keeping Orugio safe though it's that too, but mainly when choosing co-conspirators for something like that the ability to lie well and keep secrets is one of the most important factors. Orugio is just a plain a really good guy, he's great in exactly the role he's got, the honest detective/MP type. He's not meant to be an intelligence agent and live in the darkness in a "all your actions will be disavowed if you're discovered" type of thing. Qifrey may or may not be right in how important this is, but if he is I don't know if he's wrong in turn not to bring in his friend.

Although that does raise the question of whether the Assembly has any sort of secret covert blackops type unit along with the general upright enforcers we see. There must have been times before when they felt the Brimhats were a threat particularly in the early days but couldn't acknowledge it publicly. Maybe now it's been so long they're comfortable that they've won and the remaining ones are "just" playing with old forbidden magic, Orugio seemed pretty shocked that they were developing a brand new one.

Double-page supporter
Good plot tension, you know it's good when the comments aren't "SHIT MANGA" or "boring; dropped"

Users who are viewing this thread