Witch Hat Atelier - Vol. 8 Ch. 43

Double-page supporter
orugio could have designed that fire inside a very cleanly and opaque cristal ball, so that no one would think its fire, and if he's afraid of reproductions of that thing (which would burn people even if it was in a glass orb) he could make some kind of lamp with the cristal ball floating inside (i think that's within this magic system's rules). that way no one would be able to reproduce it so the "unburning fire" could be recognized as a unique thing.

OR he could introduce a system of colors that indicate when something is dangerous (see the black and yellow stripes for dangerous spaces in construction sites and the like) and make kings force their manufactures to use that system when making things that produce light using fire, thus marking his product as different than other fires, or something

@zanonyn 5-star posts

Dagda showing up all bloodied from mercenary work threw me off. So far the witches' society has been portrayed as peaceful and plentiful, but this chapter shows that it's not so much the case for normal people, huh. Wonder if there are wars going on that the witches don't need to concern themselves with or if it was just some bandits.

Oru's fake fire problem hits me in the gut with the similarity it had with fiction vs reality distinction discourse we often have in this wide world of internet. Should we cater to someone's impermanent incomprehension, making them unable to learn? It's like sweeping the dust(the lack of education) under the rug (if no one complained then it's no problem). Then Coustas's backstory... Priviledge and disability issue is real. Poor boy. I feel that in the end Coco will side with the brims, revolt and renew the rules. Admit that there's limit to human medicine and magic could prolly solve it (then what about the people in healthcare system?? oh boy a new problem)

Fed-Kun's army
@apple-pie Priviledge is an illusion, my Parents are a living example of that. Neither had money or opportunities, they made their own. They found a job to pay for their own studies since their family couldn't afford it. My Father is a Chemist He's got a decently paying job to afford what he never could before.
There are always opportunities out there, whether you can notice that or not is the difference of a "priviledged" person and a person who has "none".

Fed-Kun's army
@BloodySorcerer Wow...this is absolutely the shittiest take I've ever read on this site and that's saying something. Privilege is real. Not everyone has access to the same opportunities as others. Jobs are not always available, and even when they are, there's no guarantee you can get one--especially for people who haven't had access to education. Your parents were lucky that they were able to find a job to support their education. But the same could not be said for a homeless person living on the streets who can barely scrape by and can't get a job because no one wants to hire them. Why don't you go up to them and tell them "There are always opportunities out there, you just have to take them!" Meanwhile, some guy born with a millionaire dad automatically gets a full education, a well-paying job, and access to his family's wealth. Would you not say that this person has access to more opportunities? Would you not say that this person is more privileged than you? You are so out of touch with reality.

Fed-Kun's army
@nivinator
Seriously? I'm out of touch with reality?
"Not everyone has access to the same opportunities as others."
Laughable, Do you know how many brats I know who choose to ignore his studies and went to crime even though their families were already paying for their studies?

"Jobs are not always available, and even when they are, there's no guarantee you can get one--especially for people who haven't had access to education."
That goes for literally anyone even people who's graduated from university, your so called priviledged people

"But the same could not be said for a homeless person living on the streets who can barely scrape by and can't get a job because no one wants to hire them. Why don't you go up to them and tell them "There are always opportunities out there, you just have to take them!" "
https://noticias.r7.com/distrito-fe...supera-adversidades-e-estuda-direito-21022018
Maybe if they saved their money for their studies instead of wasting on booze they could be like this homeless guy here.
To sum up the story, this guy, Allison, he became homeless, saved money and payed for his studies. He is now studying law and intends on pursuing a political carreer.
Are we going to call him priviledged too?

"Meanwhile, some guy born with a millionaire dad automatically gets a full education, a well-paying job, and access to his family's wealth"
Yes because it never happens that the same guy born out of a millionaire dad ruins his family businesses and make the entire family go poor, oh how priviledged they are.

How about YOU get in touch with reality and see that the vast majority of complainers are people who give up without trying? Or people who have been doctrinated to want to be a victim.

Want to talk to me about priviledge? The only people who were truly royally screwred by life were people who were born with disabilities, and even they manage to get a better life in many cases. There are also people who simply do not know about their chances, and so they cannot know what opportunities are there for them. But this is not a sign of the existence of Priviledge, this is a sign of the failure of the system. All you need is pay attention to the government to see where the fault lies.

Fed-Kun's army
@BloodySorcerer
Yes because it never happens that the same guy born out of a millionaire dad ruins his family businesses and make the entire family go poor, oh how priviledged they are.
The people you are referring to are not counterexamples to my argument. People who waste their opportunities even though they are born into wealth are still privileged, they just squandered their privilege. What's your point here? And anyways, most rich people don't lose all their money lmao. I live in a pretty wealthy community. Wealthy people generally stay wealthy. The people who fuck shit up and lose their family wealth are in the extreme minority.

Laughable, Do you know how many brats I know who choose to ignore his studies and went to crime even though their families were already paying for their studies?
And how many didn't? Definitely more than those who did you absolute tool.

That goes for literally anyone even people who's graduated from university, your so called priviledged people
That's literally what I said. Jobs are hard to get for everyone. I used the keyword "especially" for people without an education. Which you can't refute since GEDs and degrees are literally basic requirements in even entry-level jobs. So thanks for agreeing with me I guess? Lmfao.

Maybe if they saved their money for their studies instead of wasting on booze they could be like this homeless guy here.
What a stupid ass argument. You used one extraneous case where a homeless guy was able to save up money for education. Meanwhile, most homeless people have to use the little money they earn just to keep themselves alive with the basic necessities such as, you know, FOOD. Not every homeless person wastes their money on booze. Also, the cost of education is not the same everywhere. This would not have been so easy, for example, in the United States. Either way, stop using the 1 in a million case to showcase your point lmfao. Anecdotes are never valid when supporting a generalization.

How about YOU get in touch with reality and see that the vast majority of complainers are people who give up without trying? Or people who have been doctrinated to want to be a victim.
Ah yes, if you're poor, hungry, or homeless, you just aren't trying hard enough. Thanks for this stellar advice! Newsflash: not everyone who is stuck in poverty is playing the victim card. Social mobility is not as easy as you think it is.

But this is not a sign of the existence of Priviledge, this is a sign of the failure of the system.
Yes...because privilege arises due to the failure of the system. They are literally related. Holy shit...you made this entire argument and you don't even know what you're talking about.

Fed-Kun's army
@nivinator
The people you are referring to are not counterexamples to my argument. People who waste their opportunities even though they are born into wealth are still privileged, they just squandered their privilege. What's your point here? And anyways, most rich people don't lose all their money lmao. I live in a pretty wealthy community. Wealthy people generally stay wealthy. The people who fuck shit up and lose their family wealth are in the extreme minority.
History proves my point, heck the whole reason my many countries abandoned Monarchy was because the so called Priviledge is not a guarantee of success. If the rich status doesn't give you an advantage or a guarantee of success then it's no priviledge.

And how many didn't? Definitely more than those who did you absolute tool.
Provide proof, at this point you're just assuming

What a stupid ass argument. You used one extraneous case where a homeless guy was able to save up money for education. Meanwhile, most homeless people have to use the little money they earn just to keep themselves alive with the basic necessities such as, you know, FOOD. Not every homeless person wastes their money on booze. Also, the cost of education is not the same everywhere. This would not have been so easy, for example, in the United States. Either way, stop using the 1 in a million case to showcase your point lmfao. Anecdotes are never valid when supporting a generalization.
Wanna know what's stupid? In my country studies were already conducted and showed that in general, Homeless people in my country earn more money in a month than teachers, either by collecting recicling objects or through other means. THey have more than enough money to at least complete thier studies and get a simple job to better their lives.
Teachers here usually work on 2 or 3 schools at the same time, In order to make up for their low salary.
What's your argument exactly?

"That's literally what I said. Jobs are hard to get for everyone. I used the keyword "especially" for people without an education. Which you can't refute since GEDs and degrees are literally basic requirements in even entry-level jobs. So thanks for agreeing with me I guess? Lmfao."
Agreeing with you? Your argument makes no sense I merely pointed it out. If everyone goes through the same problems, then no one is priviledged.

"Ah yes, if you're poor, hungry, or homeless, you just aren't trying hard enough. Thanks for this stellar advice! Newsflash: not everyone who is stuck in poverty is playing the victim card. Social mobility is not as easy as you think it is. "
Sure they are not playing the victim card, they are wasting money competing with the Joneses, they are wasting time parading with social movements, or they are making more babies than they could ever hope to have money to care for. There are many different reasons that explain this, before priviledge can even be considered.

Yes...because privilege arises due to the failure of the system. They are literally related. Holy shit...you made this entire argument and you don't even know what you're talking about.
You're not good at this are you? "Priviledge" doesn't arise from failures of the system, you don't get born into "priviledge", "priviledge" is acchieved with hard work, even the people who had the "priviledge" to know important people only rose to riches because they understood how to make use of that information. Any rich kid who does not work hard to inherit their family business end up forced to resort to either criminal means or risky ventures, and that is why some of the rich fall, and they fall hard. Being born rich is no guarantee of success, and therefore is no priviledge. A rich kid can have their parents save their asses, but in turn that impacts on the name of the whole family, company stocks fall and business ventures can fail because of that.
The world is not so simple that can be defined by luck, and your so called priviledge. And yet the world is not so difficult that you can't improve your life either if you try.

Fed-Kun's army
If the rich status doesn't give you an advantage or a guarantee of success then it's no priviledge.
Except it does give you an advantage. Not a guarantee, because nothing is a guarantee, but it's pretty damn close. All of the people I know are already on the track to becoming as successful and wealthy as their parents, and if not, they sure aren't gonna be poor.

Provide proof, at this point you're just assuming
As I mentioned before I live in a wealthy community where everyone's education is paid for by their parents (including mine, to a certain extent). None of us are going to squander that opportunity. ALL of us, yes all, are going to college. But since anecdotes won't do (you probably aren't just going to take my word), here's stats released by the federal government that show how a significantly greater percentage of those from higher socioeconomic status get a higher education: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/05/23/feds-release-broader-data-socioeconomic-status-and-college-enrollment-and-completion. 78% of rich people to go college compared to 28% of poor people. That's a 50% difference. That's humungous. In addition to that, of those percentages, "Students from the lowest quintile who attended college were more likely to first pursue an associate degree (42 percent) than a bachelor’s degree (32 percent). Their peers from the wealthiest quintile, however, were much more likely to first seek a four-year degree (78 percent) than a two-year degree (13 percent). Likewise, the percentage of higher-income students who first enrolled at a highly selective college or university (37 percent) easily outpaced that of lower-income students (7 percent)." And you're telling me that everyone has equal opportunities and access. You literally can't rebut after since seeing these stats lol.

In my country studies were already conducted and showed that in general, Homeless people in my country earn more money in a month than teachers
Uhhhh what's your point? This just shows that your teachers are underpaid lmfao. Now try telling me that privilege doesn't exist because homeless people earn the same as some idiot who inherited his father's multimillion-dollar business without doing shit. Also, the world exists outside of your country. Even if your country was completely privilege-free (which it's not bc no such place exists lmao), you can't generalize that to everywhere else.

If everyone goes through the same problems, then no one is priviledged.
Fucking read. They're NOT going through the same problems. People who are richer (and in general have access to a greater education as I pointed out before) have a higher chance of getting a job. A majority of jobs, even entry-level ones, have basic education requirements. According to a study by Georgetown, "35 percent of the job openings will require at least a bachelor's degree, 30 percent of the job openings will require some college or an associate's degree." Evidence right there.

they are wasting money competing with the Joneses, they are wasting time parading with social movements or they are making more babies than they could ever hope to have money to care for
Nice generalizations, not every homeless person does these things. Some work hard to move upwards in social class, but it's simply not that easy with our given system. Also, they don't compete with the Joneses. "Keeping up with the Joneses" is a term applied to materialistic middle-class families that try to one-up each other. Homeless people ain't got shit to brag about. Also, I don't see what's wrong with the social movements? They want to see change in their government, change that will help themselves and their peers--what's wrong with that? Government policies have been enacted in the past directly due to these social movements. While it takes time and patience, social movements are not a waste of time for those they represent.

"Priviledge" doesn't arise from failures of the system, you don't get born into "priviledge", "priviledge" is acchieved with hard work, even the people who had the "priviledge" to know important people only rose to riches because they understood how to make use of that information.
Wrong, you ARE born with privilege. Here's a basic definition: "Social privilege is a theory of special advantage or entitlement, used to one's own benefit or to the detriment of others. These groups can be advantaged based on social class, age, height, IQ, disability, ethnic or racial category, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, and religion." Understand what you're arguing about before you start typing LMAOOO.

Any rich kid who does not work hard to inherit their family business end up forced to resort to either criminal means or risky ventures, and that is why some of the rich fall, and they fall hard. Being born rich is no guarantee of success, and therefore is no priviledge.
Won't address this in detail again since I already produced irrefutable evidence and statistics against this. Rich = privilege. "Rich fall hard," really? In those very rare situations in which they do fall (most rich people stay rich), of course they fall hard, because they had more money in the first place. How is that a disadvantage? Basically they go back to what poor people had from the very beginning. I would say that is pretty privileged, yeah. If you really think staying rich takes hard work and anyone can do it, you clearly don't know how rich people operate. The 1% of my country, at least, gets to the top by stepping on the backs of poor people and the oppressed. Social divides exist and social mobility is not a piece of cake. So stop licking their boots of the rich people, eh? Anyway, here's a cute graph using data from the IRS to conclude my argument:
casselman-chetty-3.png

Users who are viewing this thread