Witch Hat Atelier

Contributor
Aight review time

First off, this series has some of the best art I’ve seen. 10/10 in that regard. It also has solid world building and an interesting story, but man the writing sucks. Like seriously there was so much exposition in the first five or so chapters that I almost dropped the series. It gets a little better over time, but the characters still feel fake to me. It’s like the opposite of the characters in Asano’s works or in 3-Gatsu.

That being said, the art and the interesting world still tie it over for me and I still like this series, I just don’t love it. 7/10

Btw brim hat coco best girl

Contributor
@4V29LN0n yeah I was thinking the same thing about it being a shonen. Especially with coco being the “magically special savior of the brim hats” that nobody else can replace.

Dex-chan lover
Time to add "Award-Winning" to Witch Hat!

https://twitter.com/shirahamakamome/status/1287003245655678977

https://twitter.com/KodanshaUSA/status/1286848384125423616

@luke_chase
Like seriously there was so much exposition in the first five or so chapters that I almost dropped the series.
With the world being so interesting to explore, I don't see the amount of exposition being an issue. The story centers around witches learning a magic system that's fairly unique in the world of anime and manga. I can't imagine without some significant exposition into how the world works
It gets a little better over time, but the characters still feel fake to me. It’s like the opposite of the characters in Asano’s works
That's because they are? His works are entirely different in tone and intent. They're primarily melancholic character focused stories, realistic in nature. As opposed to Witch Hat Atelier that's intended to be a (mostly) lighthearted fantasy adventure series thats borrows a lot from old European fairy tales, children's/young adult literature in the west, and Disney and Ghibli films. Characters in Little Witch Academia, Harry Potter, and other similar stories would be more valid comparisons to make.
The different characters struggles in learning and being taught to draw magic resembles the actual issues aspiring artists in real life (or any other similar craft) face in becoming better. Actual artists reading the series have took note of this:
Riche prefers doing magic her own way rather than having to become better at it by doing it the way her teachers advise her to
Eunie's education is hindered by his immense anxiety when trying to perform in front of others during lessons and tests.
Tartar's affliction with a disability hinders him from learning magic in a society that doesn't accommodate it
Those characterizations don't come across as "fake" to me.

If people complain about exposition I'll throw em out a window. You're reading a manga from the POV of someone who literally has no idea about the magical world herself. It not only helps the reader understand everything later on, but it also makes complete sense for the exposition to happen since again, Coco is either clueless about the subject or is learning and trying to understand how something works by explaining it to herself, which I at least do to learn things myself.

So far, it seems so promising and such a fun story. 9/10, this series is god damn enchanting with how well done it is in both writing and art. It definitely helps that I have a sweet tooth for fantasy though.

Contributor
@uwubruh

ty for the response

For the exposition bit, I don’t think it’s a problem because the amount, but just because it’s done poorly (imho) or at least it could have been done better. It feels forced. And that combined with there being a ton of it feels off.

For the bit on characterization, idk character is a super broad topic. I definitely agree that the characters have motives/character development etc. They still don’t feel like genuine people to me though. It might be that I’m so used to character building in sol that it feels off to me in fantasy.

Anyhow, I still hold by my opinion that the art is far better than the writing in this work 😐

@luke_chase
at least it could have been done better. It feels forced.
I don't really know many other ways a story about witches learning magic could say "Here's the the magic system and how it works." and "here's how the protagonists utilized magic to get past this obstacle."
They still don’t feel like genuine people to me though. It might be that I’m so used to character building in sol that it feels off to me in fantasy.
That might be it.

Agree to disagree.

NO, NOT QUIFFREY

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Mixed feelings. That betrayal was fucked, but I agree with Qiffreys determination and motives 100%. I thought he was kind of a lame poofter for the longest time, but the relatively recent backstory is making him a much more compelling character.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

I love these kinds of stories. They're so interesting and remind me of autumn mornings for some reason

Double-page supporter
honestly new chapters took so long to come out i forgot what the plot was

->Beautiful art.
->thumbs-up for plot story.
->Hope for anime adaptation.
...... in future(may be after 10years)🤔

Amazing art and a great world overshadowed by a boring MC who just goes around trying to be friends with everyone. She is nice, weak and humble, but totally extraordinary! ... you know how it goes...

The children are probably who I'm supposed to root for, but them giving lectures to each other and adults about life and joys of magic all the time just makes them unbelievable as characters.

Users who are viewing this thread