With a Pay of 300,000 Yen Per Month, I Was Hired to Do the Fun Job of Saying, "Welcome Back," to the Onee-san Next Door Who Has No Use for a Monthly …

Dex-chan lover
I read that, but I didn't really understand it... It felt like a lot of the meaning was missed in translation

Dex-chan lover
I read that, but I didn't really understand it... It felt like a lot of the meaning was missed in translation
Same, it's probably something very japanese.
The full meaning has been conveyed, and it's not an especially Japanese set of ideas. The family's already been treated like weirdos, and she's acting even weirder on purpose. Meanwhile, her brother thinks people are weird enough without going out of their way to stand out. The dialogue is deliberately confusing and abstract, and the author is a dick for making us read it. This story's no stranger to dedicating large amounts of time to unusually technical/abstract/philosophical discussions between characters; the author's just doubled down here and made a whole chapter just one random conversation.

Dex-chan lover
So I've seen this in a lot of light novels and am really curious. Why didn't translate the Japanese quotation marks to english quotation marks?
I am extremely reluctant to change anything from any of the works I do unless I absolutely have to. Anything else leads us down the slippery slope to adding memes into our dialogue, making characters swear for no reason, or just generally changing the story. Considering you recognized these as quotation marks, I'm suspecting I didn't absolutely have to.

Besides, isn't it more fun to read something closer to the original and learn a little something along the way?

Dex-chan lover
I am extremely reluctant to change anything from any of the works I do unless I absolutely have to. Anything else leads us down the slippery slope to adding memes into our dialogue, making characters swear for no reason, or just generally changing the story. Considering you recognized these as quotation marks, I'm suspecting I didn't absolutely have to.

Besides, isn't it more fun to read something closer to the original and learn a little something along the way?
I know because I had to google it. I don't think changing the symbols that represent punctuation marks to ones the readers are familiar with is changing too much. Would you leave ka in or translate it to a ??

I do get what you say about learning new things but you already have to change so much because Japanese grammar is so different from english.

But that is just my view.

Dex-chan lover
I know because I had to google it.
I feel like that wasn't necessary, but now you know.
Would you leave ka in or translate it to a ??
English doesn't have particles for questions, or any equivalent, so I'd have to change it.
I do get what you say about learning new things but you already have to change so much because Japanese grammar is so different from english.
Less than you'd think. Also, that's no excuse to change even more.

Dex-chan lover
I will let this rest in another tab for now... It's 4am I will not reading that at this time

Users who are viewing this thread