Wolfsmund

I remember reading this one a long time ago.... totally love it, incredible brutal

Great manga with amazing ambience, if someone could recommend similar manga, especially with non-japanese setting, the please give reply :D (also I know about Berserk so I hope for other answers)

Dex-chan lover
Has one of the most greatest villians I've seen in manga, though might not be for people faint of heart, I would definitely recommend a read if you are familiar with series Berserk, Vinland Saga, etc. it gives off a similar atmosphere.

This manga kills more main characters than game of thrones.

spoiler- I think the mistress died from that blow to the head. They would have tortured the shit out of her otherwise

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

I have to say I'm surprised at the high ratings and praises. The art is good for sure and the subject matter is interesting and fairly unique, but the story is just abysmal to me. Berserk, vinland saga, ASOIAF and the rest are maybe similar in style, but just miles apart from this one in quality, imo. I kept asking myself over and over where the point was, where the motivation was, and where the personalities were. The main villain is especially 2d, but the protagonists weren't much better. They all had the same story, they just looked different. It kinda felt like shock and gore for its own sake, and that's just not enough for me.

Not to mention all the asspulled deus ex machinas (or maybe diabolo ex machinas in this case). At no point were we given prior clues to the plot points, at no point is it explained how or why the villain was so good at his job. It was like watching Sherlock, but without following his process. He just steps out and goes "you did it", case closed. Not very interesting, intriguing, or satisfying storytelling in my book.

There, rant over. Not trying to take anything away from those that like it, I just had to vent.

Double-page supporter
@Dostojevskij ah my thoughts exactly, only the art is good but the rest of the story and characters is a wreck.

It's like the author at first want to draw a one case one chapter story just like detective conan but then forced to put a big plot for it and everything goes messy without proper focus, other than the kill and gore though. He only focus on that parts. Whoever think this manga deserve the same spot as berserk and vinland saga is totally like them only for the slash and blood.

Dex-chan lover
A good story of the brutality of medieval Europe. The only downside is
Wolfram's annoyingly flat character.
Other than that, it's a good read.

Dex-chan lover
First people should remember the story of William Tell is a founding myth like King Arthur. This manga is about as historically accurate as Vinland Saga. The early volumes are great as the brutality and personal struggles of those trying to cross the pass leave a deep impression. For the middle volumes Wolfram being untouchable gets tiring, and you stop feeling any attachment to the new characters you know are doomed. Then everything gets turned to 11 with the attack on St. Gotthard's pass and that momentum continues to the very end. Some characters seem to be introduced just to commit suicide though.

The story would have been better served if we spent more time with William, and maybe showed that while Wolfsmund remained insurmountable, the world around it was stirring. We're told how important Walter is, but we never really get an impression of why because the narrative never strays far from the titular pass for the first half.

Maybe some other perspectives would have helped. Like naming some Hapsburgs soldiers or people from the other cantons and not just Walter and his meatshields knocking their heads against a brick wall until it falls over. By the twins we've established Walter has survivors guilt, and the subsequent losses just leave you dettached. One of the last characters introduced is supposedly going to lead the spearmen one day and plays a role in the final battle, but we hardly know him! Maybe in a draft he was supposed become William's protege, but that had to be cut.

Double-page supporter
This manga made me a bit interested in the Swiss.

@Ironclad I agree with some if this. The manga should've been a bit longer and I felt there is a need to expand on some characters, as you've said they just come and go without much investment in them. I would've enjoyed this more if they spent more time on knightly combat and developing a few characters, namely Walter, Grete, a bit more of Leopold to balance between developing Walter and the random italian leader. But other than that, the author afterword states that it mostly hit home with what they could've done. There's a limit of reader interest and the editor had provided sufficient freedom to the author on what she could put out in the span of time and personally I think she got her story across. If she had at least 10 more chapters to develop the story further, I think this manga would be one of the best I've ever read, but certainly this is one of the ones I'll remember by heart.

Users who are viewing this thread