Wonder Cat Kyuu-chan - Vol. 7 Ch. 745 - Our Kizuna

Contributor
Guys, don't forget that out there there are also people that can't buy the volumes because they live in other countries.

Dex-chan lover
I find it hilarious that ANYONE thinks that stopping scanlation is going to help support the official. If we weren't already buying it after finding out about it from the scanlation, then no matter how much we love it - unless we've just got unreasonable amounts of cash to burn - it's no different than just pulling the rug out from under us and ending the magic permanently for no reason other than logic-void empty morality.

Most of us are here because we can't just buy stuff. And if we start supporting one, where does it end? We all like multiple series on this site, no doubt, and other series on other sites. Supporting one might be easy, but ALL of them demand support and tend to try and treat you like a bad person for not being wealthy enough to give money to people with more money than you.

@viridiansky why would it being licensed stop the scanlations? Licensing has a tiny fraction of the accessibility scanlations have, and as Netflix proved back in the day (before their library became shrunken and pathetic), people will definitely pay for access if it's actually better than what the illegal providers can do.

Group Leader
Stop doing that, that's dumb af. So was sniping this ngl
https://imgur.com/WekAvnU

@gum_rummy That's because it hasn't been released yet. The first English volume is scheduled to release in March 2021. The Japanese volumes are already available on AmazonJP.

I'm wondering how the animated comic pages are going to go? The first English volume is said to be $15, so I'm wondering if they're implementing something to accommodate the animated pages?

Dex-chan lover
@Kayriel If you live in the US, you can ask your local library to purchase the series if you can’t buy it yourself. I think some school and university libraries are the same way.

@iskaeil thank you for letting me know.

Dex-chan lover
@gum_rummy

Half of the idea of not being able to buy these things is also a lack of money, considering most of America is too poor to support the kind of hobby that we manga-consumers have when there's so many other expenses and such unreliable income/job security even without the plague. Again, if it was just one series, anyone could do it, but how many mangas have you eaten in your life?

Could you buy each and every series in full? If so, hats off to your wallet.

@Kayriel The idea here is that if people are reading the scanlations and not buying the official, then they don't get to have it. That's it. It's not supposed to make you buy it, it's so that the artist and author's hard work isn't just distributed for free.

Think about all the artists who are adamantly trying to fight art theft online. How many times are artists' drawings taken off their social media post, their watermark erased, and then huge nameless companies just decide to make merch with it without their consent. Likewise, scanlation is a sticky situation where people are removing some defining characteristics and putting their own interpretation on top, because they are rarely employed translators and there is a lot of factors to consider when translating a foreign language. Scanlations are bootleg products. They can have poor image quality, poor typesetting, poor cleaning, poorly translated, etc. etc. and overall distort the author's original intent.

I'm not saying scanlation is big evil bad and shouldn't exist at all, they do a good job of raising interest in series that may not otherwise get a localization, but if an artist or author doesn't want a bootleg product being distributed around for less than what they are selling an official version for then they are valid in feeling that way and they should take legal action if they want to enforce that.

Group Leader
kyuu chan is also an anomaly in regards to "free on the internet" vs "buying the physical volumes"

kyuu chan is licensed in japan with physical copies for sale, yet the whole 4koma can be read for free officially on sai-zen, and even the animated gifs are all at their entirety on the twitter. on the japanese side it is NOT paygated at all, no matter how many physical volumes have been released.

please don't scanlate something in ms paint. i know not everyone has photoshop or whatever, but there's free options like paint.net and gimp. please stop being incompetent on purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread