Writing something that can't we describe

Group Leader
Sometimes when you want to write / express yourself, why is it cant be described or we cant write it anymore even though, we can put a finger on it ? what are you gonna do if this kind of thing happend to you ?

You could be stuck thinking about the exact words or the exact way to describe what you’re trying to write.

In this case and in many other cases, you can start by explaining the basic attributes of what you’re thinking of. Try to write as fast as you can; don’t bother worrying about how ‘proper’ it is.

Break down the description into smaller pieces and then build it back up as you go.

Take this for example:
https://i.imgur.com/Qe7rGKZ.jpg
Pretty complex. You probably wouldn’t see all of this at once in your mind. But you might ‘see’ the whole scene it if you keep thinking about it. What’s important before you get into the specific specifics is to describe all of the main elements first.

One of the dominant visuals in this piece is all of the old-style buildings that make this town look like it ‘suddenly became futuristic’. There is a huge difference between the style of the residential buildings and the futuristic sci-fi elements, so it’s better to make that distinction by describing it separately.
In describing this element, you could write:
> Built up town, dense city, older residential shack-like buildings in futuristic setting, lit up city

Arguably the most eye-catching element in this drawing is the massive skyscraper structures that look like construction cranes. Describing it is easy if you already have a comparison:
> Massive skyscraper structures shaped like construction cranes.
Use any real-life or fictional references (that you know) if it helps you describe something. You don’t have to use a completely original description just because you’re thinking of something original yourself. The more original something is (as in, something you’ve never seen it in real life or in popular art), the more thorough you should make your description, so you have a really good reference if you forget.
> Massive skyscraper structures shaped like construction cranes, sci-fi style like EVE, evenly spaced from foreground far into the background in a single line like power pylons.

Things like the sky aren’t too important to describe. Usually. But sometimes it is important. You can actually see in this piece that the artist missed an opportunity for realism.
Because:
> City is on a hilly island like a coastal bay, except, the island is floating in the sky
>> The island is floating in the sky
You can see that from various hints that there are clouds below (because there is a clear sky above), and based on the shape of the city at its edge. Even if that’s not what it is, let’s just pretend that it is the case. The missed opportunity would be that city should have the same view as an airliner in cruise. A deeper coloured sky, high atmospheric clouds above, a slightly visible curvature of the planet.
If you write down:
> The island is floating in the sky above the clouds, at airliner-levels
Then later on you can make something more unique. Most people would forget things like that and so you have a lot of sky scenery at ground-level; a different perspective would be unique.

I’ve been side-tracked, sorry. Basically:

> Built up town, dense city, older residential shack-like buildings in futuristic setting, lit up city, multiple historic cultural building styles inter-mixed
> Massive skyscraper structures shaped like construction cranes, sci-fi style like EVE Minmatar stations/capitals, evenly spaced from foreground far into the background in a single line like power pylons.
> City is on an island floating in the sky, high above clouds
> Island terrain is like coastal bay towns with high hills surrounding the bay, light forest, structures and crane skyscrapers built up over hills
> Sky docks, floating lights everywhere like new EVE stations
> Dusk, sunset, clear sky above with clouds in distance at horizon

...Would be how I’d describe that drawing. That’s basically my format for simplified explanations.

'EVE' is an old spaceship game ('Minmatar' is a reference to the gameplay), I put that as a description as an example that you can describe things however you want to. There are no restrictions. Don’t feel that you have to type or write in any specific way, or even write at all. It's easy to get mental blocks if you put restrictions on how you're describing something... and then you get bored... and then you forget.

I do different things depending on what I’m imagining.
I type simplified descriptions for single art pieces (like I just did), type movie scripts for some stories, 3D model building designs and I do line drawings for inventions/contraptions.

---

tl;dr
Write simple, quick descriptions, of what you're thinking in that moment, one part at a time. Reference anything (manga, games, real life) if it has similarities to what you're trying to describe. Don't try to explain everything all in one go if you don't have the words. Don't try to follow 'proper' techniques until you have your idea on paper.

@pandascepter

Group Leader
@Afiaki Thabks for your advice, now i can see more further to write sometin'.

Also what youre trying to explain to me are useful, from such a simple reference can make a huge difference than to make to look original.

Dex-chan lover
Have you ever stopped
To watch a bluebird drop
From a tree and take to the air?
Me neither

Have you ever took time
Out to finish a rhyme
But the right words just weren't there?
Meat cleaver
-Bo Burnham

Dex-chan lover
How would you guys describe something that isn't meant to be describable like, for example, Eldritch horror?

My magic system is very abstract where the limiting factor to my characters' ability is how well they understand magic. Theoretically, anyone is able to do the most OP magic out there but if they don't understand it then they can't cast the magic. How do I describe something that is so abstract that the human mind cannot imagine it? So far I settled for metaphors and physical mediums to more easily imagine the magic but I doubt I can use 50 metaphors a chapter and not annoy the readers.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
Can't say for sure, but there were times where in one of my sleep i got a dream that are too vague to be retold in paper, but vivid enough for me to retell it in my own mind. I can't write it as an experience or story because i can't understand what happened in that dream, but i still manage to wrote something out of it using poetry. Even though we can't understand what that is, we understand what happened. the mind and reality might be an illussion but the experience we felt are the truest for us.

So, rather than trying to try to describe something that can't be understood. I would describe what the event unfolded because of that something in a way to tell 1001 feelings and meanings and i think poetry is one of the best way to tell that something. because two different person that read the same poetry will not guaranteed to end with the same meaning, even the writer itself can find different meanings when they read their own poetry from what they want to convey in the writing of that poetry. It also added more variation of content to your story and if used right, you don't need 50 metaphors and hundreds of words to tell the mystics and hardship to understand that something.

The spoiler contain the poetry from one of the dream i encountered just an example of the vagueness of a dream can be, don't open it if you're not interested
White,
A sea of white laid bare in front,
An ocean of white on the back.

A walk to nowhere,
Nor forward,
Neither backward.

Neither moving nor stopping,
There is no north also south,
But i keep walking.

In the end it's only a facade,
A dream of nothing,
But white.

Dex-chan lover
@AirenxVia What in the world did you dream cause that white limbo sounds terrifying.

Also, I like the idea of having an incomprehensible magic system being explained through poetry but I doubt I'm skilled enough to mix storytelling and poetry, back-to-back, seamlessly. Any tips to do this? Any possible alternatives?

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN A few (lol) words of caution
The fewer the words, the more mysterious and fascinating the magic is. The word"magic" comes from "Magi", which is a Medes priest. It represents the mysterious and the divine.

You generally separate fantasy's magic into two kinds. The rational and scientific natural phenomenon (hard magic), and the mysterious, esoterical arcane art (soft magic). Would your system fit one? I can see both perspectives in it.

One one side you could built a coherent system using axioms such as willpower, to give a sort of predictability to your magic, in a sense, let the mind appropriate rationally the unexplainable. For instance, if two persons believe in themselves with the same force, their magic should be equal, or something like that. You do not explain the nature (but science doesn't speak about it) of the magic wholly, but its consequences and ways to apply it are systemized. Doing so would satisfy the thirst for knowledge that is a basis of the geek spirit. Establishing worlds and systems, fantastical but coherent. This is what a geek seeks.

One the other side, you could look for a very esoterical system, whose goal isn't to be an independant part of a story you build, but a way to show the beauty of the mystery, or the growth of a person, or a way to show the inner self, the soul of the user. Your magic could build a sense of distance toward the world of the mysterious (look at the world of The Lord of the Ring, magic is sparse and unexplained enough to give the feeling of a world in ruin, where magic is on the verge of extinction, therefore reinforcing the mystery and fascination of magic). Readers that prefer magic as a medium of non-understanding, mystery, character illustration, poetry and beauty, would prefer this kind of magic, that doesn't leaves one satisfied. But not being satisfied by the knowledge is the goal here, knowledge must go to let the rest remain.

TLDR
If you wish to give off the first effect, to satisfy a person that want to understand and won't be satisfied until they do, going metaphorical might not be the most straightforward way. If you wish to satisfy a reader that wants more beautiful, poetic, mysterious and character linked magic, then go ahead and write poetry. But you must be sure to understand intimately that knowledge and understanding in a rational way isn't the goal here.

Dex-chan lover
@Haikaka My magic system is hard and it's still being built and, I predict, still need years to finish building. At first, everything is mysterious because no one understands it, they just know that it works and it can be improved upon even without truly understanding it. Eventually, (like, multiple timelines level of "eventually") it's just another field of science. That's what I'm aiming for.

My magic system is abstract because it basically plays with higher and lower dimensions and making abstract things manifest in a physical form. And can you imagine a 4 dimensional cube? That's the challenge I'm facing. I won't need to explain it in detail in the early stories but I'll need the readers to be able to stay least comprehend it before I can make the finale work.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
Can't gave you good information about the dreams, as i myself has troubles in grasping it. but i can say for sure those dream came ocasionally from time to time nearly in regular basis. The content of the dreams are different from one to another, but the vagueness yet vividness of those dream remained the same.

I don't have any good tips actually in "the good way" to implement poetry in story back to back. Because the way i'm implementing the poems of my magic with my story is still "Well, if it works, it works.". So the best way to find out how to use it, would be trying it yourself. there's no need to actually made one by yourself for the sake of finding out the best way to implement it, as there's a plenty poetry used for magic. Though, I don't know any native english works that use poetry to describe magics, so i can only gave you LN reference which will be put in the bottom of this text.

But i can give you some tips on how to construct it yourself. just let your imagination run wild and create an image on from where the magic come from and what it does. within that image associate the magic into the following components, the source, the power, the shape, and the execution. After you get a hold of the component of your magic, try to find one word that describe each part the most. The next is constructing the whole sentence or verse around the words that you chose and lastly, be creative on constructing the verse, don't be restricted to only follows the word that you associated with. After you done making the poetry, lightly describe or hint what the magic does in order to control your readers imagination

Below are simple example of the word to the magic image association based on my personal preference.
ex: The word "Devour" would be best to describe for magic that mows down everything once it casted, like tsunami. While the word "Destroy" would be best to describe magic that creates instanteous destruction like Meteor or fireball.

There are few alternatives that you can take. But it can be harder to pull off if you're not careful with how you describe the event. namely you need to write the event as vague as possible to make your reader have a hard time in grasping it, but also giving them enough information to visualize what happened in that scene.

An example paragraph used in horror:
It, stands there. Watching through the dark hall, it is there. Calling our name with it's alluring voice. We ought to run, but we can't. our feet froze in place, as it kept us here with it's voice. Unless someone snapped us back into reality, we are doomed to be here, forever.

Another one in war scene:
Throughout the battlefield, a single chant was heard. An alluring chant, enough to drove men into madness. Just like what happened just now. Before we know it, thousands of spears of ours had met the throat of our enemies. Our once white arm had been bathed with blood. Before we were able to ask what happened. It came again, the feeling of before. The madness consume us.

In both paragraph above. I purposely make it lacks the fine details on what exactly happened in the event. only giving some clues on what happened for the readers to construct their own image and understanding of the characters being not understanding the situation. Basically, by carefully erasing the details needed to understand what happened in the story and leave those fine details to your reader imagination, you already describing the mystic and divine of magic that make its incomprehensible. It can be done by erasing the detail itself or by only write the result of the magic/phenomenon. Again, it will be up to yourself on how to deliver it

The reference of LN that i used to self-learn how to construct magic based poetry:
Tseiken Tsukai No World Break or World Break: Aria of Curse for The Holy Swordsman.
Links for the collection of Spell Incantation: https://warubure.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_Art/Incantation
A piece from the Wiki from a spell called Dark Gehenna:
Purgatory in the netherworld.
Wildfires on the ground.
The flames are impartial, and consume good, evil, and chaos alike.
They purify all with fierce charity.
All must die, and return to dust.
God has forsaken mankind.
The age of decadence shall not end.
Let the trumpets sound.
The time of judgement has come. (said up to x3 to increase power).

Bonus:
Flame,
Flame all i can see,
Yet the sky is empty.

Lone flower blooms,
Within pages of fire it rest,
Blooming the brightest burning every single moment in it's eyes.

Before long, the flames enveloped everything,
Till only darkness remained,
Yet this nothing but a dream

Users who are viewing this thread