Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru - Vol. 2 Ch. 16 - I don't really know much about computers

Contributor
page 15: yep, that's not how computers work and, if your computer starts smoking, there's no repairmen in the world who would be able to fix it without replacing parts.
@darekpawlo that's not how computers work either lol

Dex-chan lover
@darekpawlo

A Computer is technically anything that computes. Even your phone is a computer, loosely speaking. What you are thinking of is a Desktop/Tower. A Laptop is literally short for Laptop Computer.

Dex-chan lover
That just makes Akane all the more dangerous because she somehow managed to cause a laptop to start smoking just by playing it.

It's a bit amusing to see Ruri geting along better with Akane than her own brother at the moment. Her mistake is still bringing some consequences even if Akane is cool with her already.

Double-page supporter
What a good fucking Idea to play an online RPG game for long amount of time using a Laptop with no Fan underneath to cool that thing down.

If the CPU fan stops working and the load on the CPU is too much it will fry the CPU and maybe even the motherboard. So he could be correct.

Dex-chan lover
Yepp. As a rule of thumb, when smoke comes out of a notebook it's over. Except he takes out a precise hammer. Made of wood of course or it will damage the components, when hammering. It might also be enough to clean the burned parts with alcohol and then distilled (important!) water. Also add thermal compound. Everywhere. In fact, this is the first thing you should do, when you buy a new computer. The salespeople won't do it, as if would prevent RSEs (random smoke events) and that's bad for the sales. Also it's THE true tech hack, that the hacky people won't tell anyone about. Do that and they acknowledge you as one of them.

+ reads manga
+ sees the white smoke on pages
+ look up on her pc
"I'll clean you up tomorrow, I promise! don't leave me!!! ç_ç"

. . . well, you can't say reading manga isn't useful.

Dex-chan lover
I've burned my cpu and mobo before so, yes, it's possible.

Dex-chan lover
The author knows literally nothing about computer, and I'm assuming most of the commenter in this thread don't either.

@JA10111 @Kiriha No it is impossible. Every CPU has a thermal junction temparature, which will immediately shut itself down once the system gets too hot. And not to mention before hitting the Tjunction temp there's a "limiter" that will downclock your CPU when it gets too hot, this is called "thermal throttling".

The 3 main reasons for your computer to fry is a misconfiguration in the motherboard bios (adjusting voltages), a power supply malfunction, or a physical damage on one of the motherboard resistor, all three are (almost) physically impossible to happen to a laptop unless it's more than 10 years old. (10 is streching it, I'd say 15)

@qelix I'm not sure about wood hammering but the latter part is just wrong. People don't add them because every single CPU coolers always come with thermal paste pre-applied on the cooler itself, applying extra is gonna do more harm than help.

If you were to start a PC with no thermal compound whatsoever it will not last for more than 2 minutes before hitting the Tjunction and shut itself down, even with a beefy cooler. I'm guilty of forgetting to apply it quite a few times when testing out old PC parts but none of the component were actually fried before the computer shuts itself down.

Users who are viewing this thread