Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru - Vol. 2 Ch. 16 - I don't really know much about computers

Dex-chan lover
@saito197: Just to make sure: Everything I wrote above as a tech tip, starting from the hammering of, including the cleaning with alcohol/water (even if it is distilled) of, to the smearing of useless thermal compound all over electronics was wrong. 🤣 You really shouldn't do any of that.

In the case of thermal paste (and to save my honor), I can add this (this time honestly meant) explanation to the "applying extra is gonna do more harm than help" argument:
Thermal compound is meant to bridge the gap between the chip package's and the heat sink/heat pipe's surfaces. Air is an excellent heat insulator. (Just imagine the difference between standing naked in a room with 4°C/39.2°F cold air and swimming in a pool with 4°C/39.2°F cold water (a much better heat conductor). In one case you can survive up to a few hour in the other you won't make it past a few minutes.) Direct contact between materials is a good way to transfer heat, but even in the case of die encasing/chip packaging and the metallic surface of heat sinks/pipes/spreaders, there are irregularities on the surface (just imagine a veeeery small dent, a slight bend or a few mounds) and gaps of air form in between them. The heat transfer is sub optimal there. Heat compound will displace those air pockets and fill their space instead, if you add a drip on one surface and press them together.
As its heat conductibility is superior to air, that's a good thing, but in most cases its conductibility is still worse than the material of the heat sink. Even in cases it is better, it still adds another layer of material, that has to be overcome. Therefore -> The thinner that layer is, the better. Adding too much compound widens the layers size, or even worse, if badly applied might even entrap and embed bubbles of air, which in turn might even be thicker, than the initial thermal gaps without paste. (Though even in those cases applying compound is still better, than not doing it at all.)
Being stingy is a good thing, but don't be too stingy or it won't be enough to cover the whole contact surface. So adding a little bit more, than you think is needed to cover everything in between is fine.

Dex-chan lover
Throw-Hands-1.png

When did this comment section become a tech desk tho?? Y'all too serious about a fictional detail lol

Btw, good job kid, you're no longer in my blacklist.

Last time i had a smoking computer incident was a bad power adapter. It really scared me for a second, but that is luckily an easy replacement.

Fed-Kun's army
Little sister is not annoying anymore thank God.

Also I love the MC's friend

Fed-Kun's army
I love that Runa now has Akane and Momo but she should get same age friends. Lol Momo's having her 20s-life crisis in front of her.
Also will Momo end up joining? lol

But also I get this comment section. I was also bothered by her laptop exploding.

Lol the laptop exploding was just a comedic element in the story. No need to get serious. And Eita is still just in high school. So it's not bizarre if he doesn't know much about computers and ends up saying the explosion was caused by the game.

And ohhhh I love Momo!!!

Dex-chan lover
Bro the author must have never used computer before

Or maybe they did and from experience had their laptop explode on their face lol

Double-page supporter
Lol the laptop exploding was just a comedic element in the story. No need to get serious. And Eita is still just in high school. So it's not bizarre if he doesn't know much about computers and ends up saying the explosion was caused by the game.

And ohhhh I love Momo!!!
Eita isn’t in high-school. Yamada is on the third year and Eita was a senpai of his, so Eita has already graduated. He’s still younger than Akane and Momo tho.

Dex-chan lover
page 15: yep, that's not how computers work and, if your computer starts smoking, there's no repairmen in the world who would be able to fix it without replacing parts.
@darekpawlo that's not how computers work either lol
Yea, once the magic smoke has left the computer, you need new spare parts.

However, a bad patch or update can very much break your computer - there's been well known instances of high spec games bricking graphics cards.

It's a bit far-fetched to get smoke from the computer from that though - especially since her computer is probably not top of the line enough to catch fire over overheating gfx card..

Power Uploader
Bahahaha I rate the TL note. Author doesn't know batshit about computers. You don't even have to be that tech literate to know that that's not how computer/laptops work.

Fed-Kun's army
I get it. The 'game' is just a medium to connect the MCs, but gawddayum how can the author be so technologically illiterate

Double-page supporter
Yamada makes friends with this cute girl, and refuses to go on raids with her because of a lack of experience gain. C'mon Yamada, you're killing me. You need to level up in other areas.

I think it's nice that Runa and Akane hang out and game together now

Users who are viewing this thread