Yancha Gal no Anjou-san - Vol. 14 Ch. 173 - Inuyama-kun's Slump

Dex-chan lover
"You drew exactly what I wanted you to. Therefore it's terrible and I hate it."

I'll never get the whole "what was the author/painter feeling while they did this" things. Like, how am I supposed to know? They were long since dead before I was born, and I'm no psychic. For all I know they were thinking "mmm, potatoes would be good for dinner" while they were working.
While mostly true, it's not universally so. A few writers and artists actually want you to feel or think on the questions they pose, in the direction they give. Consider, for instance, Renaissance religious art (which is mostly just illustrations for the morality stories from the Bible), or, for a less clear-cut example, Ivan Karamazov's monologue about the worth of a child's tear.

Dex-chan lover
That is one of the worst art teachers I've ever seen. Praises how good something look, but hates it because it's not her subjective taste. That is a BAD teacher.

I had to deal with that in English class. Wrote an essay on a book I read with my own interpretations of the plot and the teacher didn't like it because it didn't fit his own interpretation. No one liked the man.

Dex-chan lover
Eh the whole point is that artists are supposed to be hyper intentional in their use of visual language to convey meaning. Like depending on how it's drawn, a hyper realistic picture can be super tense or tilt into uncanny valley or emphasize the mundane or be whimsical or ... like someone else mentioned, the reason artists do still lifes is to learn/explore how to use visual language to make something interesting when the artist can't fall back on interesting content.
It is a realistic still life, how the hell do you make anything interesting out of it and convey any emotion to anyone who's not an exalted clown able to blow meanings out of their own ass, while staying true to the realism? As long as you don't get to choose the objects (so you can't pick them to be used as metaphors), don't get to play with purposefully twisted proportions or even the colour palette (since it's expected to be realistic) - what the hell kind of toolset do you even possess?
It just looks like the teacher pouring her personal bias on him, with no substantiative feedback whatsoever. The only good thing to be said for that teaching method is that it prepares for the real art critics.

Dex-chan lover
That is one of the worst art teachers I've ever seen. Praises how good something look, but hates it because it's not her subjective taste. That is a BAD teacher.

I had to deal with that in English class. Wrote an essay on a book I read with my own interpretations of the plot and the teacher didn't like it because it didn't fit his own interpretation. No one liked the man.
Oh god you too?
This chapter honestly just shows some people don't make very good teachers. They're there just to huff their own farts and show 'how good they are" in a setting where they have some modicum of power over others.

Dex-chan lover
What kind of bullshit critique is this? Make it make sense…

That, or she’ll make him draw T&A, which is his true passion.

Dex-chan lover
Hears Toyoda mentioning "Love" in terms of her boyfriend's artistic passions, "Hmmm, now where Have I heard this before???"

At the same time at TUA...

Sana Sunomiya: "AHH-CHOOO!!"

Hana Sunomiya: "Are you getting sick, Sana-Nee-San??"

Dex-chan lover
What a fucking sexist load of crap. It’s obvious you’ve never had a college-level art class. (Yeah, I know they’re not in college, but this is college prep). She’s not only normal, she’s not wrong. She’s not there to mollycoddle the students and puff up their egos, she’s there to help them get better, and they can’t do that if she’s blowing candy canes and rainbows up their asses. She praised his strong points, which is good, then told him where to focus to improve.
She’s not the least bit helpful if we’re being honest. She notes his good points, which is that he’s objectively a good artist but most of her criticisms are subjective and she doesn’t really offer any advice on how he can improve it.

They’re also doing stills, so her berating him for not putting enough “feeling” into it is such BS.

Dex-chan lover
I think a lot of y'all have forgotten that Inuyama is totally allowed to take liberties with how he sketches the still life. This was demonstrated last chapter when he moved the ball from behind the bottle. You can also see from the other sketches that there are a variety of different perspectives of the still life. The instructor has noticed that Inuyama isn't putting any effort into being creative with the perspective or any other aspects of the sketch and called him out on it as somewhere he can improve.

Playing with tonal rendering, drawing the still life in abstract shapes, hyper focusing one item and drawing the rest out of focus are all ways he can communicate something with the still life. It's not just about drawing the subjects as accurately as possible. She's already acknowledged his skills in that aspect and wants him to focus on his weaker parts.

Inuyama should have been able to tell what the instructor was looking for based on the pieces she critiqued in the first session (the best ones) and now she has to explicitely call out his weak points because he didn't learn.

Competitive grading in college is 100% a thing (only 1 group gets an A, 2 groups get a B, etc). It's tough, but it has real world applications.

Fed-Kun's army
What's the point of a class where you just practice and get non-constructive criticism with no actual... teaching. Like, what's the aim of the lesson? Improve base skills, then explain that and what mistake they made. Improve creativity? Then explain what they can be creative with and what they could have done. Working with a client? That explain that and give pointers to understand what a client want and how to account for it when creating... A mix? Then at least give useful feedback.

I mean, I suck at art in general (visual or not), but as someone whose job includes teaching to paying customers, this is basic when teaching any practical skill. They are paying to get more out of the class than "just git gud, noob". They know they need to improve, that's why they are in your class, paying you to help them.

From what we know, she doesn't even relate the mistakes of the pieces she criticizes to the one she doesn't focus on, so how are they going to improve if they can't find what they did wrong? This is like doing a 2 days exam and only getting "D, you suck" as feedback, with nothing else written on your paper. You don't know which questions are right or wrong, or how.

Dex-chan lover
As long as you don't get to choose the objects (so you can't pick them to be used as metaphors), don't get to play with purposefully twisted proportions or even the colour palette (since it's expected to be realistic) - what the hell kind of toolset do you even possess?
@BestBoy gave a bunch of great examples, but I wrote all this out before seeing that reply so more things you can do:
perspective can be a very fun one here - looking at or from corner of the eye or on top or, in a way where one object takes center stage or are they all equal...which in turn also lets you play w/ lighting and shading...and colour is a funny thing b/c folks don't actually all see the same colors, so like do you go hyper saturated or very muted or mix...how does that yellow read to you...and if this is just pencil sketch (which it looks like it is), then the line work - bold, heavy, or light, strong or sketchy, smudged or strong shading-which you can also use to emphasize parts of the composition like curves or straight lines or use that to contrast both (which if Inuyama's usual style leans towards the erotic...)

Which the tldr is basically that art schools generally try to select for students who are trying to say something with their art & the prep school is trying to drill in the importance conveying that intentionality since it'll be one of the things they're selected on.

But also yeah I agree w/ everyone that this is not a great way of going about it. Like the critique shouldn't have focused so much on what she wanted and more probed at whether Inuyama had been trying to say something or why she didn't feel intent from the piece.

Double-page supporter
Playing with tonal rendering, drawing the still life in abstract shapes, hyper focusing one item and drawing the rest out of focus are all ways he can communicate something with the still life.
Then, as a teacher, you don't say "you know what? Nevermind".
You say "you can play with tonal rendering, draw the still life in abstract shapes etc. Next time, try to do it".

Users who are viewing this thread