Yande Kita Mahou Shoujo no Nichijou - Ch. 2 - The Daily Life of a Mentally Ill Magical Girl...2

Dex-chan lover
With how much s... I've read, I half expect to see gore and sv tags added in near future.

Dex-chan lover
It looks like monster attacks are expected, fairly common, and unrelenting, to the point magical girls are assigned beats that they have to patrol regularly and are responsible for. Which makes magical girling not just work, but dangerous work. There's only so much of that a teenage girl can take. Note how even the other magical girl that's still functioning and picking up the slack barely emotes? This is some dystopic shit.

Except the part where barely anyone is interested in her well-being, only in how quickly she can go back to "normal" and fulfill expectations again. That part is just real life.

Dex-chan lover
It's 100% some form of social anxiety. What I'm wondering about is to what extent it was present from the beginning, and to which an unprocessed traumatic experience induced it or made it worse.

I think something happened that she believes could have been avoided if only she had been more diligent. And now she doesn't know how to take things lightly anymore - not even going to school, and especially not being a magical girl. Someone could die if she went out there in her current state! The only thing she can do that definitely won't cause any harm to anyone... is stay indoors and do nothing at all. Which is what we're observing right now.

Whatever happened must have flown under the radar - which tracks, if we keep in mind that humans can endure insane amounts of mental pressure... for a time. Eventually, they crack. And by the time that happens, it's often not obvious to anyone - even the one suffering - what the actual root cause was.

If it was just social anxiety, I think she would still be able to fight monsters. And if it had always been this present, or this severe, she would never have become a magical girl in the first place. I think we're looking at PTSD, comorbid with a bunch of other issues. And it might get worse before it gets better.

Dex-chan lover
she's at the age where depression can just hit you for no reason (it happened to me and several other people i know). combine that with childhood innocence starting to fade away and her realising the actual weight of the responsibility placed on her shoulders, and i can absolutely see why she's cracking.

she probably also feels at the subconscious level that she owes it to everyone else to keep being a magical girl (because stepping down means troubling someone else), which means that she doesn't want to be a magical girl yet at the same time she does - resulting in the mental stalemate that's currently relegating her to her room.

Dex-chan lover
This is reading half like very serious depression and half like ptsd brought about by violent combat.

Needing to keep things secret from the parents is VERY bad for her well being, and the mom being a single working parent with no support structure is not helping either.

Users who are viewing this thread