Yofukashi no Uta - Ch. 163 - The Light of Dawn

Dex-chan lover
She practically didn't even appear throughout this arc
She only listened to Mahiru's backstory and left lol.
Honestly,I have no idea how to feel about this arc. While the ending may be somewhat satisfying,all the rest beforehand wasn't in my opinion.

Like flasback after flashback after flashback each week.

Anyway,lets hope the next arc is worth it.

Dex-chan lover
Ya, she destroyed countless people's lives over the centuries, but wants to go out on her own terms in a gross over romanticized way. It's a sick way of being self obsessed right to the end.
Exactly this is why I don't like her. She manipulated people,destroyed families, turned them into offsprings and left them to rot when they couldn't help her, now she fell in love for real and asking the boy to destroy his friendship and his belongings. AND SHE DESERVES A GOOD ENDING?

Dex-chan lover
Kiku should have already been a vampire long before then, given the established backstory. Don't forget, she's the oldest vampire currently known by the cast. To say that this somehow qualified for a past-based weakness implies that literally ANY missing memory would qualify, which is contradicted by several other characters (namely Nazuna, Kabura, and Azami) already.

Seems more likely that those lines are just hard contours that needed to maybe be softened before they finalized it and forgot, or it's sweat from the sunlight hitting her that didn't translate well.
Or that the lifespans of vampires really have a limit, very long lives, but not really immortal.

Dex-chan lover
Mahiru seems to be blonde by birth, unlike Kou and Akira who are black haired. It is possible Mahiru might be a descendant of Kiku's original spouse. This might be the reason why Kiku sucking that blood will kill her.

Double-page supporter
I still like this series, but this arc really diminished the entire thing for me. Every aspect of Kiku/Mahiru has been absolutely devoid of interest, if not dialogue - sadly. Not raging over Kiku's past like some incelbros piping up (it's not really a redemption story - but sorta) but her actions now don't mesh with even her recent past. Also - what happened to the other gal (and gal-boy) vampire friends and their small talkative group?

The relative lack of Nazuna and the apparent abandonment of other recently-introduced characters was weird. That little side bit with the girl in the bar (?!) was pointless. The eeeeendless chatter between Mahiru and basically anyone else is tedious and makes me like him less and less. In fact, he's my least-liked in this series. Kiku at least was interesting and had charisma as an antagonist... Mahiru is just a selfish brat that treats his friends like disposable trash.

Hopefully we get back on track with sometimes-sexy, always-witty, often batshit-crazy but always cerebral and magical like the story was before this nonsense. Also, Akira needs to get herself some. That girl is so thirsty she doesn't even realize it. If those skirts get any shorter this will become a doujin adaptation of itself.

PS: Needs more Susuki Pippi.

Dex-chan lover
Or that the lifespans of vampires really have a limit, very long lives, but not really immortal.
... Are we reading the same thing...? Not a single panel or sentence that has happened so far even remotely implies that could be the case?
What in the world are you cooking???

Dex-chan lover
... Are we reading the same thing...? Not a single panel or sentence that has happened so far even remotely implies that could be the case?
The old vampires are dying, which is not really a strong base as we know nazuna's mother died (almost definitely) not from old age. But what's the harm in theorizing where the author will take the story from here.

Dex-chan lover
The old vampires are dying, which is not really a strong base as we know nazuna's mother died (almost definitely) not from old age. But what's the harm in theorizing where the author will take the story from here.
My take is the vampire murders without using the memento. The appearance of real vampire slayers.

Double-page supporter
Even immortal beings in many kinds of stories (including the 'well-documented' vampires in Anne Rice's books) get to a point where the MIND if not the BODY is finite and can't deal with the endless monotony and grief of an existence among mortals - after a certain point. In the Rice vampire books, massively ancient vampires like Enkil and Akasha start turning into something like marble because they just slow down into a kind of stasis to protect themselves from all that.

It's possible Kiku was going in a kind of opposite direction in order to burn herself out..? There's no real knowing because Kotoyama introduces new 'vamp rules' and lore every volume in a sort of magic-trick-reveal storytelling process, so it's very possible Kiku and Mahiru will be around after daybreak. If they weren't going to be, we'd have seen them disintegrate at the end of that touching, melancholy chapter.

Pretty easy to see the pattern, here. Remember when Kou almost got eaten and it seemed like Seri was an evil villain? Remember when it seemed Nico and the others were going to kill him? Or maybe Nazuna? Remember when Nazuna flirted with NTRing Kou? None of those things turned out that way because that's the mangaka's style – Has been since Dagashi Kashi where every vignette opened with a shocking twist that turned out to be just another candy description. Yuri dalliance between Hotaru and Saya..? Nope. Just candy talk.

I expect Nazuna or someone to pop up with a 'Actually, this is how it is. Can't be helped, after all' winky-face speech with a crap-ton of multiple people going 'Oh! Because blah blah? Yes! Blah blah!' sort of back and forth.

sigh

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that in this arc Kiku mentioned that she needs more and more feeding implying that one day she physically couldn't procure that much of blood and eventually die from starvation or will be hunted. Maybe Iam read to much to that, bit I understand it like this.

Users who are viewing this thread