Yofukashi no Uta - Vol. 18 Ch. 174 - To See Your Face

Dex-chan lover
Also its funny to see her acknowledge she probably wouldn't be able to win against kou
Not even a semi-immortal dhampir can beat the cock

Author is either gonna go through with a sad ending

Or they will pull the "Deux Ex Machina" get out of jail card.
He wouldn't have to-- it's a matter of fact that it's unclear as to what sucking the blood of a candidate you love would do to the vampirizer or the candidate.

My humble hunch, however, informs me that this mystery is set-up for a neck-snapping twist.

Dex-chan lover
Hey, I was right. She was pissed off but she hid it, and instead of venting she tried to earnestly understand his feelings. That's satisfying. It feels like I've really gotten to know her as a character.

The fact that Kou and Nazuna both believe in the love-death myth, regardless of its truth, indicates they'll probably avoid drinking blood. Coupled with Kou's ambivalence to becoming a vampire, unless something game changing is revealed about Nazuna's dhampir status, I think we're on track for a bittersweet romance where Nazuna will outlive Kou. Or she'll follow the same path as her mom. Or it'll be something totally crazy relating to the circumstances of her birth.

Dex-chan lover
oh hey I was right on with that facial expression :ROFLMAO:
That said it is nice to see he's actually thinking on the subject

Double-page supporter
Nah, nah, nah. Continuing my thought back from the day I still believe they worrying too much about situation where vampire bites the person they love. Let's go through what we know:

1. Mahiru definitely loved Kiku, therefore when Kiku bit him, he transformed into a vampire.

2. Mahiru died back then, thus we can conclude that sun is deadly for vampires.

3. Kiku was in the same spot as Mahiru, so the sun beams were falling on her as well.

4. Lastly, it wasn't the first attempt when Kiku tried to fall in love with someone to become human.

In the end, considering the last fact, we have two equally possible outcomes of their meeting:

1. Kiku turned into a human and died because of fast aging. Mahiru turned into a vampire and died because of the sun.

2. Kiku failed at becoming a human, but decided that it would be better to die here and stop her suffering at once instead of trying again. So they both died because of the sun.

Again both of these outcomes are equally possible, so there's literally no reason for characters to worry so much.

Supporter
I loved that part where she said, "I should kill him". Also what is he going to do when he finds out why she is sucking his blood? Thanks for the translation

Dex-chan lover
It talks about it earlier on, basically love is nebulous and can be temporary, Yamori-kun is on the right track but intense situations or pain create a suspension bridge effect and push him over into vampire form
Intense situations? Hasn't he needed to bleed each time to actually turn, and that's why he uses the ear piercer to turn? Else when Kiku was drowning him he should have been able to turn eventually, not to mention a fee other intense situations before he first turned.

Like, I do remember the point about the suspension bridge effect, but I understood that more as them trying to find an explanation to how the mechanism for him turning works, not so much what actually enables it to work in the first place.
Nah, nah, nah. Continuing my thought back from the day I still believe they worrying too much about situation where vampire bites the person they love. Let's go through what we know:

1. Mahiru definitely loved Kiku, therefore when Kiku bit him, he transformed into a vampire.

2. Mahiru died back then, thus we can conclude that sun is deadly for vampires.

3. Kiku was in the same spot as Mahiru, so the sun beams were falling on her as well.

4. Lastly, it wasn't the first attempt when Kiku tried to fall in love with someone to become human.

In the end, considering the last fact, we have two equally possible outcomes of their meeting:

1. Kiku turned into a human and died because of fast aging. Mahiru turned into a vampire and died because of the sun.

2. Kiku failed at becoming a human, but decided that it would be better to die here and stop her suffering at once instead of trying again. So they both died because of the sun.

Again both of these outcomes are equally possible, so there's literally no reason for characters to worry so much.
I thought they had stated that sunlight isn't effective for killing, just for weakening them - Nazuna's mom and Kiku discuss it, from what I remember, on the flashback with Haruka/Hatsuka/the guy that Nazuna now treats as a brother.

The most likely scenario would be that drinking the blood of someone you love might be fatal, or how Mahiru drank Kiku's blood so soon after turning into a vampire and then exposing himself to blood...

or even more tragically, the bokuto that Kou gave Mahiru being so close, while having Kiku as human in front of him (basically bombarding him with memories of being human between all that), made him weak enough that as a newborn vampire sunlight was fatal.

Something similar was how the detective killed the vampire guy on the school way back, after all (and he was weakened instead from a lack of feeding during years).

Dex-chan lover
What the hell man? It's already more than 100 chapters and yet Yamori still don't understand about love????
I don't understand it too, it's affection, that is clear, but what's the difference with a friend or a pet ? sexuality ? i don't think so, it's not specific to love.
if it's a story of quantity, it's blurry.
Maybe the author want to make us believe it's the will of self sacrifice, look convincing but it's a pretty restricted definition, and i don't think everyone would agree with it.
Or it's just different for everyone, and the act of finding a definition is a mistake...

I think i never loved anyone, it would have been simpler otherwise.
anyway, "understand" something is way more complicated than finding a definition i think.

Dex-chan lover
I thought they had stated that sunlight isn't effective for killing, just for weakening them - Nazuna's mom and Kiku discuss it, from what I remember, on the flashback with Haruka/Hatsuka/the guy that Nazuna now treats as a brother.
Sunlight is effective at killing vampires. We have seen two vampires die with our own eyes- Kyouko's dad and the schoolteacher. It wasn't their treasured possessions that killed them, it was the fact that they were frozen by their possessions in the sun.

Kiku warned Mahiru about the sun too, saying it was especially dangerous to freshly turned vampires. The sun then killed Mahiru. The only death we don't fully understand is Kiku's, but there's compelling evidence to suggest that it was sunlight which did her in too.

1. We know she was weakened, implying she'd be more vulnerable to the sun.

2. She bit Mahiru at dawn.

3. She'd been trying to fall in love for 500 years. Either she failed every single time, or the myth isn't true, and given how many different versions of the myth there are, I'm willing to wager it's not true. Meaning it's more probable, IMO, she died from sunlight.

Dex-chan lover
Sunlight is effective at killing vampires. We have seen two vampires die with our own eyes- Kyouko's dad and the schoolteacher. It wasn't their treasured possessions that killed them, it was the fact that they were frozen by their possessions in the sun.

Kiku warned Mahiru about the sun too, saying it was especially dangerous to freshly turned vampires. The sun then killed Mahiru. The only death we don't fully understand is Kiku's, but there's compelling evidence to suggest that it was sunlight which did her in too.

1. We know she was weakened, implying she'd be more vulnerable to the sun.

2. She bit Mahiru at dawn.

3. She'd been trying to fall in love for 500 years. Either she failed every single time, or the myth isn't true, and given how many different versions of the myth there are, I'm willing to wager it's not true. Meaning it's more probable, IMO, she died from sunlight.
Yeah, true that. But it cannot kill them outright unless they're weakened or exposed for a really long time, last I remember. Was it with Kiku around the trip? Or someone else that they show a vampire going out in broad daylight and fainting from it instead of dying or starting to disintegrate

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, true that. But it cannot kill them outright unless they're weakened or exposed for a really long time, last I remember. Was it with Kiku around the trip? Or someone else that they show a vampire going out in broad daylight and fainting from it instead of dying or starting to disintegrate
I don't remember anyone fainting from sunlight exposure, and I've reread it twice. Light has always seemed lethal, maybe not immediately, but certainly in short order. The fact that they exclusively walk around at night, despite all the drawbacks, is a strong indication that it's non-trivial. Light isn't something that they take... lightly.😎

I'll see myself out.

Contributor
Otaku kun reminds me of Hiroshi Nakagawa 🥲

255713.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread