Yoku Wakaranai Keredo Isekai ni Tensei Shiteita You Desu - Vol. 8 Ch. 37 - I Don't Really Get It But, I Guess I'll Help Out

Dex-chan lover
I mean not really. Archers typically didn’t wear the same type of armor swordsmen wore even during war time. Loading then up with a ton of heavy armor would just result in poor marksmanship and cause the archers to be unable to get away from enemy troops if the archer squad was found

The armor she gave her friend is the type of armor an archer would wear to protect themselves from self dmg caused by their bow. The vambraces protect the arms from getting hit by the bowstring and the chest plate protects the archer’s test from the string going past their chest when they release the bow. Reason why it only covers one side is cause the string would only only hit that side.

All in all the armor would have been a fine gift for her friend… if said friend was an archer and not a swordswoman
nope, sorry but thats not true, early on they used gambeson and mail or even just ordinary clothes, later on they used primairly brigandine, but sometimes also add plate and mail to the mix, the only thing that would be true would be that a full set of plate armor would limit their arms range of motion to much, so they did instead go for mail, we have plenty of surviving depictions and documentation of what they wore, this so called "archer armor" is a modern creation.

Dex-chan lover
nope, sorry but thats not true, early on they used gambeson and mail or even just ordinary clothes, later on they used primairly brigandine, but sometimes also add plate and mail to the mix, the only thing that would be true would be that a full set of plate armor would limit their arms range of motion to much, so they did instead go for mail, we have plenty of surviving depictions and documentation of what they wore, this so called "archer armor" is a modern creation.

Depends on the army and the wealth of the lord commanding them. You ain’t going to equip all your archers with mail if you’re poor. Normal archers went with leather as that was less costly than mail. To quote an article about it

“Depending on the army and the personal wealth of the archers, these soldiers could be seen wearing an array of things on the battlefield. What they all have in common, however, is being relatively light weight. While knights on horseback often wore heavy metal armor from head to toe, archers were less likely to engage directly in combat and needed to maintain their mobility. So, they dressed in lighter armor. For the poorer archers, this could mean leather and padded or quilted fabrics. For the wealthier ones, armor could include a basic chain mail and silk vest. On top of the armor, most archers would have a tunic with some sort of insignia associating them with a specific lord or army. The final piece of clothing every archer had was a bracer for the arm, something to protect it from the snap of the string. Medieval archers seemed to have taken a lot of pride in their bracers, and some were pretty ornately decorated.”

https://homework.study.com/explanat...ey dressed in lighter,a specific lord or army.

Also it depends on what you mean by modern as that has been a thing (at least in Japan cause I can’t find when the dam thing was first invented) since the 1850s. I will agree that they probably didn’t have this sort of thing in the Middle Ages. I wonder if the creation of it stems from that myth about the Amazoness women cutting off one of their breasts so it wouldn’t get in the way when they used a bow to hunt

I doubt he'll be catching up to the raws any time soon, but damn is it nice to read some intelligible English.
Well, the official English translation will surpass the English scanlation by November this year at the rate things are going. So either way, by the end of the year we'll have a continuing English translation.

Dex-chan lover
Knowing our protagonist, the armor probably has an enchantment of some sort which will make it magically protect her even though it's the wrong kind.

Dex-chan lover
Well, the official English translation will surpass the English scanlation by November this year at the rate things are going. So either way, by the end of the year we'll have a continuing English translation.
It's by Seven Seas so not exactly what I'd call "intelligible English"

Aggregator gang
Historical accuracy aside(This isn't a historical Europe setting but a fantasy place in an alternate world, you can do slavic style archery, korean, western aboriginal, etc, or a mix of them and it's fine) the armour makes some practical sense for a female archer (Trust me, if you're doing archery and are not flat, you want the draw side of your chest covered in something that protects it from any slight mistakes in release, if your bow draw is heavy enough it can tear things off)
that's looking to avoid direct fighting and stick to archery into the opposing frontline, I'd like to at least see some heavier pants and shirt that can at least slow down opposing arrows, but whatever, this works well enough for a fantasy archer design, especially if you're being stealthy as your main defence(Which the kneepads supports)

Regardless, we can all agree it's not swordswoman armour, at least, even if there's some disagreement as to if it has any use case.

Dex-chan lover
This is a longstanding faux armor trend in JRPGs, manga, and anime. People wearing starter armor will often have a single bracer or knee pad even, and she just crafted very basic leather armor to start with. It's usually the idea that the piece adds an armor stat instead of realistic protection. I see it less as the ignorance of a single author and more as something baked into the genre.

God bless those artists that go for maximum realism though.

Thank you, so much for coming back after sitting through this mtl my brain started to melt, and I couldn’t keep reading the series. thank you for coming back seriously 😭😭😭😭😭

The mtlI was talking about ⬇️
https://chapmanganato.com/manga-gy983607/chapter-39
And I don’t have any problems with MTL it’s just that if you don’t proofread it and posted whatever that was translated and it doesn’t make sense, it ruins the story

Dex-chan lover
I blame the girl's obsession with archer armour on Japan's bigger obsession with lopsided fashion.
It looks utterly ridiculous and is utterly impractical... especially for someone trying to use a badly made sword (that is weighted more like a hatchet).
But again, I suspect all of this could be blamed on the artist.

Users who are viewing this thread