Yopparai Touzoku, Dorei no Shoujo wo Kau - Ch. 16 - New Job

Dex-chan lover
She's no longer near-worthless since he started actually feeding her. And he doesn't have any other... property to speak of. Certainly not enough to be worth the 10 gold coins he was responsible for.

Anyway, I'm about 99% certain the quest giver set him up specifically so he could take her.
No, I mean how did we get to talking about "collateral" at all? Unless I'm losing my marbles here, this is a guild request. The guild would be the one to absorb losses like that. That and managing the jobs themselves is the purpose of the guild in the first place. It's a huge leap to go from "Transport this" to "You'll pay for it if it's lost". And said leap was made in the space of two panels, where the guy says "Nah, it's fine", and MC just suddenly thinks of her. Maybe it's an adaptation issue, but that was jarring.

Dex-chan lover
For someone who is said to have experience as a scout, he really took pretty bad decisions.

Holding that amount of money alone and not assuming that something could go astray, even if he believes the request came from the guild master, is just dumb.

The first thing he should have done after leaving the city was to go Rambo Goblin Mode and go through the wilderness, always looking for places to hide and waiting to check if there's someone on his trail.

But, 'nah'!: "Let's use the main road. I'm just an inconspicuous man traveling alone. What could possibly go wrong?"

10 minutes later.

"Whooops!" :wowee:
They must be confident walking with ten gold coins on their pouch lol. Or they did not play Dungeons & Dragons like Goblin Slayer.

Dex-chan lover
No, I mean how did we get to talking about "collateral" at all? Unless I'm losing my marbles here, this is a guild request. The guild would be the one to absorb losses like that. That and managing the jobs themselves is the purpose of the guild in the first place. It's a huge leap to go from "Transport this" to "You'll pay for it if it's lost". And said leap was made in the space of two panels, where the guy says "Nah, it's fine", and MC just suddenly thinks of her. Maybe it's an adaptation issue, but that was jarring.
Adventurers are responsible for the jobs they take, not the guild (though it reflects poorly upon the guild too, of course). Always been the case.

Dex-chan lover
Adventurers are responsible for the jobs they take, not the guild (though it reflects poorly upon the guild too, of course). Always been the case.
Name one example. Because this is the first time I've even heard of any kind of penalty for failure, much less collateral.

Dex-chan lover
Name one example. Because this is the first time I've even heard of any kind of penalty for failure, much less collateral.
Revisit the dungeon run arc just a few chapters ago. Adventurers are contracted out with the guild as an intermediary. The work and thus also reward offered is (usually) placed by someone else, and the guild finds adventurers suitable for it and disburses the reward according to the result. There's also Guild Business, which this was purported to be, where it's the Guild handing out work and also paying out the reward, not just handling it.

As for "penalty for failure/collateral", from early on we already saw that in this world the guild is only nominally responsible, just sending out a search party for a party that didn't return previously, but not really showing any concern for them, and the vanguard not getting a full share because of abandoning the rearguard, or Gina's debt for the antidote, or getting kicked out of her rental place because one of the vanguard was the landlord's son (or was it nephew?), or even all the way back in chapter 1 with Harris trying to get his money back for Tiana and the slavemonger saying he'd buy her back for 10 silver; the entire world operates on the assumption that you pay for your mistakes.

This is then reinforced and set out in no uncertain words with the statement from the guild clerk on page 2 of this chapter, "Also, with the current Harris-san, I don't have to worry about compensation in the case of an accident", which is directly before Harris then thinks of Tiana as being held as collateral; from the threat of compensation for failing to transport the coins. Thus the next panel, Harris saying, "You..." and then from the clerk, "Everything is fine so long as you don't fail! Good luck~!"

Dex-chan lover
O
As for "penalty for failure/collateral", from early on we already saw that in this world the guild is only nominally responsible, just sending out a search party for a party that didn't return previously, but not really showing any concern for them, and the vanguard not getting a full share because of abandoning the rearguard, or Gina's debt for the antidote, or getting kicked out of her rental place because one of the vanguard was the landlord's son (or was it nephew?), or even all the way back in chapter 1 with Harris trying to get his money back for Tiana and the slavemonger saying he'd buy her back for 10 silver; the entire world operates on the assumption that you pay for your mistakes.
On thing at a time. I don't even know where to begin with this, since we're conflating a guild sending out a party for a different, missing party, with not paying someone for not doing a job, to a private contract between two people, to a family member, entirely unrelated to the guild, kicking the lady out, and a slaver not handing out a full refund.

None of these things are related to a guild offering full penalties for a job they posted.

This is then reinforced and set out in no uncertain words with the statement from the guild clerk on page 2 of this chapter, "Also, with the current Harris-san, I don't have to worry about compensation in the case of an accident", which is directly before Harris then thinks of Tiana as being held as collateral; from the threat of compensation for failing to transport the coins. Thus the next panel, Harris saying, "You..." and then from the clerk, "Everything is fine so long as you don't fail! Good luck~!"
Right, this bit about "compensation" came out of nowhere. And it's even stranger that he thought of Tiana as the collateral. If you're short money at the store or something, and the owner demands compensation, your first thought isn't "GASP. NOT MY KIDNEYS!".

Dex-chan lover
On thing at a time. I don't even know where to begin with this, since we're conflating a guild sending out a party for a different, missing party, with not paying someone for not doing a job, to a private contract between two people, to a family member, entirely unrelated to the guild, kicking the lady out, and a slaver not handing out a full refund.

None of these things are related to a guild offering full penalties for a job they posted.
Except they are, because they are world setting. Ignore it if you want, but it creates the context that is then set up for the current scenario.

Right, this bit about "compensation" came out of nowhere. And it's even stranger that he thought of Tiana as the collateral. If you're short money at the store or something, and the owner demands compensation, your first thought isn't "GASP. NOT MY KIDNEYS!".
Except it has constantly been shown that compensation is held in every interaction I mentioned. Gina with the antidote, Harris gets an oath made by her as to what she owes. The slavemonger with the offered buyback price when it hasn't even been a day, because of Harris' buyer's remorse, regardless of him being drunk or not; the guild with their laissez-faire attitude towards guild members surviving, but paying out poorly for poor performance on an actual commissioned job that did not otherwise fail. Of course the guild is going to have him repay it if he loses it, as the clerk himself states. As for things he has that are worth 10 gold coins, Tiana's all he can reasonably think of, because that's what she cost. So if he fails, he'll lose her as collateral towards getting that 10 gold back for the guild master.

You really don't think things through very much, do you?

Dex-chan lover
Have you tried being a reliable handsome middle aged thief?
Too late to change what type of scumbag I am, being a reliable handsome middle aged thief needs a lot of experience :angery:

Don't worry guys,
the one that got stolen was a fake money, he put the real money on a different "container". Tho it gives him another problem because obviously faking money is illegal

Dex-chan lover
This quest is definitely a test of some kind, to find out if he's really rehabilitated, which is funny since he never really was an actual scumbag, goes to show how reputation is important.

Also, Harris get a loli slave, she puts out good word about him and everyone starts thinking better of him, meanwhile if I get a loli slave people would lose their minds and think I'm a monster, it's not fair :meguuusad:
I too want a loli slave and feed her well so she can look after the house 😔 Why even work
WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY! T-T

Wow, after getting a happy goodbye from your housemates, you get robbed just like that... RIP.

Anyway, a chapter is only 15 pages more or less, unfortunately.

Dex-chan lover
Dude if the culprit is guild dude I'm gonna be so pissed, he seemed a nice bro at first. For an experienced adventurer Harris made some rookie mistakes. Hopefully he can track the culprit fast before anything bad happens to Tiana.

She suffered enough already and only deserve happiness and wholesomeness.

Users who are viewing this thread