Yopparai Touzoku, Dorei no Shoujo wo Kau - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED YESTERDAY?

Dex-chan lover
thats why alcohol is never a good thing, unless it is medicine and red wine.

Dex-chan lover
Can’t wait for the glow up of both of them looking like some Otome FL and ML

Fed-Kun's army
Fantasy manga where a particular character class or profession is called useless are a dime a dozen, that's for sure. Most often it's not explained in any way. My favourite is healers being useless. Japan itself practically worships doctors, physicians, who are at the top of the list of desirable men in shoujo/josei manga. Yet big brain light novel authors can decide that healers are useless. Because everybody absolutely wants to die or remain disabled for life after getting wounded or sick.

At least this series makes a point of the MC presenting himself poorly. For all we know, his class might not be shunned at all, he personally just is due to his own behavior and lack of taking care of himself. He would then blame his class for it. But then again, maybe his class really is disregarded and that eventually led to Harris giving up on himself. If that's the case, he should move to a difference city or even country. Things ought to be better elsewhere.
Hm, first about healers. I could imagine if author sets up things in 'Japanese version of dnd rpg world' healers may be not so worthy, for example, we have high tier/s rank heroes, they can fight, tank and do a lot of stuff, they can use potions to heal themselves and probably use church to heal any other things, so having a healer which does pretty much only heal and needs constant protection may seem as giant baggage or issue. Imagine tank or side warrior having to protect defenceless priest who could instead help others. Though its pretty much all on author, because they can either make priest a really great point of team who can keep up whole team alive, do more stuff than only heal like blind or attack with holy attacks or whatever. There are some who break trope and make healers heal themselves to break limits of human body which is kinda smart but breaks a little from holy part of being priest, though if you can get muscular priest, are they not paladins at this point?

On another point, Japan has even to this day(though it is slowly fading out) problem with castes too. Burakumin are people who can be called descendants of 'dirty' or 'defiled' people, basically in past there were jobs deemed dirty which gained bad karma and so people who did them, were pretty much lost cause to society, stuff like leather-working, butchery etc. Anyway, case is that thiefs may be deemed as dirty, like mc stated they have a lot in common with bandits, though generally they are different in end people will generalize and even more given its medieval kind of fantasy where there are public slave markets. Even if it's vital job for dungeon exploration that is fitted with tons of traps and locks, most people may seems it as trashy or even bad. 'where did he learn these skills? why is he proficient at lockpicking?' etc
About dirty clothes etc, I could imagine that MC is pretty much depressed or on border of being dead inside, shunned by his fated job, he spirals down, doesn't change clothes, keeps being dirty etc which keeps him in low status which again spirals him down.
It may be kinda stretchy but I don't see it also as unrealistic.

anyway, correct me if I'm wrong somewhere, cheers.

for more to read on Burakumin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burakumin

Dex-chan lover
Hige wo Suru Soshite JK wo Hiru

Tate no Yusha Nariagari

THIS.

Their early chapters suckerpunched me.

Dex-chan lover
Well, one thing the artist is good with is depicting emaciated characters.

Dex-chan lover
Wait for her to turn into a "proper woman"? This can't be another manga where the loli won't get what she deserves....

Dex-chan lover
What a weird setting, being a scout doesn't mean he has to dress like a bum. If he cared even a little about his appearance he'd have a chance with the waitress and they'd probably let him in into the brothel.

Fed-Kun's army
Dude, just excuse yourself for a bit from your party, less rude, go wash, change into more decent clothes, then go re-join for celebration or go get that high class girls joint

you just need to get smarter here

Dex-chan lover
Why would author list off a bunch of important things the thief class does and say it's useless? It's always like this.
In the end, dps is the only indicator they can see in the long run.

Dex-chan lover
Dude, just excuse yourself for a bit from your party, less rude, go wash, change into more decent clothes, then go re-join for celebration or go get that high class girls joint

you just need to get smarter here
The stigma lies on his job itself. It won't matter in the long run if he did like you said since people hold stigma toward his job.

Fed-Kun's army
The stigma lies on his job itself. It won't matter in the long run if he did like you said since people hold stigma toward his job.
yeah I know but his whole vibe also matters a lot, a scout is only a thief if he act like one

Power Uploader
Hm, first about healers. I could imagine if author sets up things in 'Japanese version of dnd rpg world' healers may be not so worthy, for example, we have high tier/s rank heroes, they can fight, tank and do a lot of stuff, they can use potions to heal themselves and probably use church to heal any other things, so having a healer which does pretty much only heal and needs constant protection may seem as giant baggage or issue. Imagine tank or side warrior having to protect defenceless priest who could instead help others. Though its pretty much all on author, because they can either make priest a really great point of team who can keep up whole team alive, do more stuff than only heal like blind or attack with holy attacks or whatever. There are some who break trope and make healers heal themselves to break limits of human body which is kinda smart but breaks a little from holy part of being priest, though if you can get muscular priest, are they not paladins at this point?

On another point, Japan has even to this day(though it is slowly fading out) problem with castes too. Burakumin are people who can be called descendants of 'dirty' or 'defiled' people, basically in past there were jobs deemed dirty which gained bad karma and so people who did them, were pretty much lost cause to society, stuff like leather-working, butchery etc. Anyway, case is that thiefs may be deemed as dirty, like mc stated they have a lot in common with bandits, though generally they are different in end people will generalize and even more given its medieval kind of fantasy where there are public slave markets. Even if it's vital job for dungeon exploration that is fitted with tons of traps and locks, most people may seems it as trashy or even bad. 'where did he learn these skills? why is he proficient at lockpicking?' etc
About dirty clothes etc, I could imagine that MC is pretty much depressed or on border of being dead inside, shunned by his fated job, he spirals down, doesn't change clothes, keeps being dirty etc which keeps him in low status which again spirals him down.
It may be kinda stretchy but I don't see it also as unrealistic.

anyway, correct me if I'm wrong somewhere, cheers.

for more to read on Burakumin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burakumin

Tbh, the problem with that is first of all potions are fine but if you are fighting for example a horde of goblins you don't have time to get a potion and drink it. Even more if you are wearing a helmet and all. A church that does healing can be done the problem is that like in our world they would hold vast power for doing that and would have countless of adventures in there debt for doing it. Also a bit hard to get to a healer if your mage got his leg cut of and is bleeding out but you drank all your potions so now you are fucked.

Like the tank in your example is already doing the protection for the DPS. In the end would say even if you can tank hit think a healer would always be wanted just to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread