Yotsuba to! - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - Yotsuba & Manners

Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 25, 2018
Messages
294
I just want to say that I really love what you're doing here.

These are beautiful pages, and I can't think of a single title here that both needs and deserves them more. This is one of the greatest manga of all time, but the pages of the early chapters have always been disappointingly small and rough, even by the standards of the day.

This is how they should be.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Nov 6, 2018
Messages
774
Accidentally opening the next chapter:
jd6KHgv.jpeg
 
Group Leader
Joined
Jul 16, 2026
Messages
10
23 years later and I'm still waiting for that ship to sail...

Why is some text not translated, I assume you did this deliberately?
I left some text-bubbles untranslated to build toward a specific gag where Yotsuba, upon welcoming Fuuka into her home, butchers a stock polite-phrase beyond recognition. Keeping her jumbled speech here in the original Japanese, and rendering it as "[unintelligible]" in the form of a caption felt like the funniest way to translate this gag with respect to the original context. In order to do it properly, there had to be some other instances of untranslated text-bubbles with captions in order to introduce the idea and build the expectation.

Thanks for the question!
 
Last edited:
Supporter
Joined
Jan 5, 2019
Messages
1,157
I left some text-bubbles untranslated to build toward a specific gag where Yotsuba, upon welcoming Fuuka into her home, butchers a stock polite-phrase beyond recognition. Keeping her jumbled speech here in the original Japanese, and rendering it as "[unintelligible]" in the form of a caption felt like the funniest way to translate this gag with respect to the original context. In order to do it properly, there had to be some other instances of untranslated text-bubbles with captions in order to introduce the idea and build the expectation.

Thanks for the question!
As far as I understand, the expected phrase is "Okaeri", Welcome back.
Yotsuba produces something like "Omakaidesuga", I hate to trouble you, but...
 
Group Leader
Joined
May 8, 2023
Messages
1,592
As far as I understand, the expected phrase is "Okaeri", Welcome back.
Yotsuba produces something like "Omakaidesuga", I hate to trouble you, but...
No, the pun is that she should be saying something like 狭いですが or お構いもできませんが (polite phrases to say when letting a visitor into your home), but instead says おまかいですが (accidentally or because she's being silly, I don't know), which makes it sound like her home is 魔界.
 
Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jun 17, 2018
Messages
4,355
Fuuka getting caught stuck in Koiwai's toilet window, now in glorious 4K :wooow:

I left some text-bubbles untranslated to build toward a specific gag where Yotsuba, upon welcoming Fuuka into her home, butchers a stock polite-phrase beyond recognition. Keeping her jumbled speech here in the original Japanese, and rendering it as "[unintelligible]" in the form of a caption felt like the funniest way to translate this gag with respect to the original context. In order to do it properly, there had to be some other instances of untranslated text-bubbles with captions in order to introduce the idea and build the expectation.

Thanks for the question!
Honestly, i don't think it quite worked for me. The fact that translation was moved away from the bubble sorta made it break the reading flow (i was like, "Wait, untranslated text?!.. Ah, there's the translation..."). Have you maybe considered Italicized romaji, with translation in sub/superscript or (brackets)?
And, i think @GlyphXion is onto something there - most likely, instead of 狭いですが (Semai desu ga... / It's a bit cramped, but [please come in.]) Yotsuba said what she said, where おまかい could be お魔界 (making it Omakai desu ga... / It's the Demon Kingdom, but...) - given the prefix お this sounds quite plausible, and makes a funny pun too. I don't think it really warrants a huge build up, tbh.
 
Last edited:
Supporter
Joined
Jan 5, 2019
Messages
1,157
No, the pun is that she should be saying something like 狭いですが or お構いもできませんが (polite phrases to say when letting a visitor into your home), but instead says おまかいですが (deliberately or because she's being silly, I don't know), which makes it sound like her home is 魔界.
Idiomatic expressions can be tricky, and doubly so in Japanese... thank you for the explanation!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top