Youjo Senki - Vol. 5 Ch. 12 - The Dacian War I

Dex-chan lover
it is completely natural to giggle like a little girl when you're flying and there's no flak or enemy flying-thingies to shoot you down. Battlefield pilot mains will relate with that feeling of no enemy AA to stop your stuka dive

Well, half of us would giggle. Even me, when the enemy is really at a disadvantage. Some of us would feel pity and probably would end it fast and some might take it still seriously even. I laughed along with Tanya.

Aggregator gang
Ah yes. Reminds me of the time when I used CVs against Tier 4 and Tier 3 ships. Absolute air superiority.

Double-page supporter
Wait did this actually happen during world war 1? Okay I’m gonna go look and read about this joke a battle

Dex-chan lover
Ah, although tanya should note that america suffered a few too many embarrassing defeats in korean war due to overconfidence in their air superiority; as with all things, there are countermeasures.
For air superiority, the countermeasure is “not being in a spot easy to hit,” i.e bivouac to not get spotted, leveraging mountain hideouts and underground bases, etc.
Nowadays its harder to advance because infrared detection exists at night, but defensively there are still ways.

I have a very big question, wouldn't using a Bf 109 or a similar fighter plane make the mages much more effective? Now, before you go in an flak me for suggesting that 109s exsisted in 1925, I say the same for the Stukas shown on this manga (both planes were introduced in 1937). Going back to my fighter argument: it has already been established two or three chapters ago that the guns can be used as channeling objects, so by that logic, a system can be implemented to an aircraft, and not only can you not divert your concentration and energy from flying, you can also add larger thingies (you know, that thing that gives the magic power or something like that). I mean, they already have this much firepower, imagine adding some 20mm cannons (I know that was added to the E3 model, which came much later, but still 4 machine guns is better than one).

@RandomPhoenix
The thing that gives them magic powers is called orbs for future context.

Efficiency and cost:
Mages act more like helicopters due to their low speeds, altitude. They are also cheaper to assemble than building aircraft, which takes more time, engineers, and resources than slapping that orb on, putting on your uniform and equipment, and GTFO.

Base mage advantages:
For mages under 6000ft vs. other ground-based infantry below that altitude is basically prey for the average mage. They are silent compared to aircraft and are more accurate. They are a smaller airborne target, which is highly beneficial in being an artillery observer/reconnaissance as well as bobbing and weaving anti-air artillery, they already have the firepower of artillery (they have a spell literally called artillery), they have better maneuverability than aircraft, and overall they act more like special forces than a stand-in version for fighter planes.

Mages probably cant power a vehicle:
Mages are a new technology; they can channel their magic into their weapons, sure. But you're talking about doing the same thing into a 28ft. 2700 kg vehicle, that's an entirely different story. The average orb can barely provide a mage with enough power to reach past 6000ft in altitude and still cast combat spells. Mages use the orb to channel their magic into reality; it does not channel magic independently. That means if a mage powers themselves using an orb and can barely reach an altitude of 6000ft, powering an aircraft bigger than them would put a massive strain on their body, in theory. In fact, a mage would spend more concentration and magic trying to power an aircraft than they would need to if they were to fly independently.

Bigger orbs = going broke:
There is also the economic viewpoint; The average orb is very expensive and costs the same amount as a flagship or aircraft, and it's still the size of a pocket watch. Even if that mad scientist somehow made it big enough to suit a plane, even if a mage was able to channel that amount of power, the sheer cost of that orb would shoot up at least 5 times the amount of its pocket watch base size. It's way too expensive, and it causes the mage to miss out on the advantages I've listed above. This could even be a big factor in why an orb isn't made bigger; it's too expensive. And when it comes to war, spending can be great for the economy, but spending too much can leave a country in an economic crisis. That would mean they can't produce a lot, and if they cant produce a lot, then what's the point?

Even if a mage didn't power an aircraft and just used the base Bf 109, Imma keeps it real with you the aircraft of less than the 1950-the 1940s are just straight-up trash. They don't even compare to the accuracy, maneuverability, and firepower a mage has. The only pro they have is their altitude cap, which wouldn't even mean much because we seen aircraft get snipped by a mage's magic beam.

Now, looking back at everything, I have way too much free time.

Dex-chan lover
I mean, this is really exaggerating Tanya's abilities here. Numerical superiority is completely irrelevant when you simply can't apply your power against the enemy's. And we already know a single mage carries far more firepower than is enough to kill a single enemy soldier, meaning the number disparity is a lot less than it seems on the surface. At least one of all these supposed strategists at HQ should have been able to figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread