You'll never believe what happens if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had the disposable income for it I would definitely support the authors, although I would prefer to go to nearby physical stores over using the digital links.

I do like the spirit of having the shopping links there, and I like knowing about the official translations since that's a cheaper way of giving support.

Last time I used them on a newly added series to find out if it has more volumes, and if so, to peek at the covers. That's it. I can't read moon runes.

Dex-chan lover
I've bought some books from a local Kinokuniya branch here in the US. Obviously they only stock the most popular stuff (the books I bought were Azumanga Daioh) so if I wanted to buy one of the 1000000 isekai trash I've been reading I'd probably have to wait for another trip to the moonland.

I've followed the Amazon links and bought Japanese Kindle editions via my amazon.co.jp account for stuff I really like. I like to daydream that I'll be able to (easily) read them some day. *sniff* Some day. In the meantime I'm just supporting the authors when I'm able.

I support the authors! I mostly read webtoons so I purchase the chapters when they're released in English on Tappytoon, Lezhin, Tapas, etc. (Even if I've already read them.) Or I read and like the official translation on Webtoons (even if it's worse than the fan translations, which it normally is).

For the few manga I read, I buy them when I see them but I don't really go into the right stores for that often. I wish there were more options for purchasing manga online instead of in books.

Plus, I don't go out of my way to buy manga or webtoons if they're not released in English yet. I know some people do that and buy chapters/books just to support the author even if they don't read the language. I think that's super awesome, but I don't do that yet. Maybe I'll start.

I buy official English releases of many of my favourites, but it's a manga I'm not super invested I don't bother with it. A few I do plan on buying JP releases of are mostly LNs, since I'm far more invested in them. I plan on buying Shimoneta, Date a Live(unless it gets official release), and Chivalry of a Failed Knight in JP. What will I do with them? Admire them and hope to one day read them lol especially Shimoneta, as it's one of my favorite animes.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Adrenalyze posted:

To be honest, I never noticed those affilate links nor used them.
Just to be clear, they're not affliate links, they're just normal links. We're not associated with any of these external services nor do we get anything from keeping those links up.

(Except perhaps some goodwill from publishers, fingers crossed)

mrf

I guess people aren't using the forum lately so who tf care if it a clickbait this is content itself.

I buy the original copies not in digital version but in book form. if it available in my local book store, (the nearest book store that sells newest manga is around 10-20 miles away from my house). Or i order it online if i determined to buy it. It costs around 25% to 40% more if i order it online not including the shipment. Though i order it from my own local area still That suck.
Wierd things is i didn't read nor open the seal, i just put them on my bookshelf collecting dust.

Contributor
I used links here to buy :
•One Punch Man(Up-to-date - around $200 spent)
•Fullmetal Alchemist(All vols. purchased- around $130 well spent)
And planning to buy more.

Contributor
Have you followed any of the links to Amazon, EBJ, CDJapan, etc and bought any copies of your favourite manga?
Yes, although I’m more likely to add (BookWalker) links than to follow them.

How often?
If I don’t have legal access to the manga (via digital tankoubon, digital magazine or web manga) I don’t read it, although I usually buy the book first and then come here (or come here to read the first chapter if I’m thinking of buying something and the art alone doesn’t quite sell it) rather than the other way around.

And if you are willing to share, how much have you spent?
Too much. More than I can really afford in fact.

What do you actually do with your copies, if you can't read it?
Pile them up on shelves in the BookWalker app (and on Billy Bookshelves for the physical copies, but they’re rare these days as there’s only so many shelves you can fit)

Would a list of upcoming releases for new volumes interest you if we had it on the site?
Sure, although what I’d really like is some easy way to see newly added titles.

Have you followed any of the links to Amazon, EBJ, CDJapan, etc and bought any copies of your favourite manga?
Not often because I usually buy it locally at kinokuniya. I only buy online if I'm lazy or if it's not available in kinokuniya

How often?
Every other weekend usually.
Online probably once every 2-3 months

And if you are willing to share, how much have you spent?
Locally probably a couple hundred dollars a year.
Online probably like $20-40 a year.

What do you actually do with your copies, if you can't read it?
I have a decent understanding of Japanese (shoutouts to anki and tae kim) but not enough to read anything not aimed at kids. I mostly buy it just for collection purposes after reading a particularly good manga.

Would a list of upcoming releases for new volumes interest you if we had it on the site?
Personally, no but I can see it being very useful.

Please don't do this again...
On topic: I used to buy as soon as it was available in my region(normally had to wait at least 6 months and hope that the manga was popular enought to be picked, gotta love live in one of these lovely south American shitholes), but I realised that the prices were extremely expensive compared to the English mangas in Amazon and similar websites(and those came out earlier that the one in my country) so now I just save enought and once the manga is complete, I buy the whole collection in those websites (Learner my lesson with great mangas with horrible endings) the ones I didn't finished or didn't like I just sold them as soon as I have the chance(by websites or in flea markets)

If I buy paper, then I usually ask a local shop.
The links are for either japanese (which I cannot read without a dictionary) or us-based shops, so I would use neither.

I would appreciate a link to amazon.co.uk or something similar for electronic releases. An affiliate link would be even better.

I'm only here to say, please don't clickbaite. ._. It's not ironic when you use it the same way everything online does. Please let this be the last time.
Thank you.

You're a bastard.

Money? It's almost as if you think I actually have a life. I still live jobless with my parents.

If I want to read a manga, I either read on a manga site like Manga Rock or Mangakakalot; if I want a hardcover copy or an E-book, I get it from the library if it's licensed. As a consumer, I only casually read in English.

What I do with my copies if I can't read them?

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! Nothing says "This novel is shit" than wiping your ass with it.

I try to buy the first volumn of anything I read online, regardless if I like it or not. If I am reading a webcomic/toon, I will visit the original site as much as I can.

I've got an AU$20/week budget for physical manga copies (roughly 1 volume a week with a bit extra leftover to grab an omnibus or extra volume every other week). Haven't personally used any of the links on this site though. I use MangaDex for keeping up to date with series that I'm ahead of the translated printed material for, or haven't been released in English yet.

I do have a couple of Japanese volumes I've picked up from series that I really wanted to support regardless of English availability, but my Japanese reading comprehension is still very very basic so they mostly just sit on a bookshelf for display.

Group Leader
I’m really not a fan of the click bait title... this is supposed to be an official announcement, not some crappy articles on buzzfeed. Please don’t do it again.

To answer your question, manga licensing is very common here, releases are very fast, usually half a year later, hence I have access to large amount of translated manga. I can just just take a train for fifteen minutes to a manga shop. I tend to support the authors this way.

I did import some game magazines from Amazon, both e-book and physical copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread