You'll never believe what happens if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contributor
@Spoonikle Nah many actually do and have, however there's actual history of companies literally shutting down from trying to be localization businesses. Shueisha is finally pushing a more reasonable means of reading THEIR stuff, but they're also the largest manga publisher. Kodansha was using crunchyroll, I'm not sure if they still are. There are also magazines that die on their own in Japan, even, so good luck convincing them to try to expand when they can't even survive in their own country. It's definitely not elitism, at any rate. These are businesses. They want your money, plain and simple.

@MonsieurQuack
Personally I'd rather be able to give the authors money directly via Patreon or other donation sites. Even though digital/physical copies of something is sold, why can't I just give the money to them directly without the retailers and publishers taking their cut first?
Keep in mind that the better their manga perform through these outlets, the more likely their manga is to survive at all. Donations aren't going to guarantee that the series will keep going, what guarantees it are volume and merchandise sales.

I answer “yes” to all the questions, especially regarding the one about how much I spent.

I've imported several japanese copies of kengan ashura cuz i like to support the people who make things i enjoy

Fed-Kun's army
I feel so violated right now. But since you tricked me here, I guess I'll answer.

I just support the authors whenever I get into the mood. Sometimes if I truly enjoy their work. I'm actually more prone to supporting translators than the authors themselves. It's a question of who provides me with it and what's easier, I don't see the point of buying things that just takes space and I'm not about to go on a search on how to donate to a particular author without having to buy anything useless. As I'm a fair bit into my japanese studies and I think I'll be able to read things raw soon enough(memorizing kanji isn't fun at all), I'll probably start supporting authors a lot more than before, if only because I then actually have a use for the raw copies when I can't find the raws online.

If I really had to pay properly for everything I read or watch, I think that I'd be in debt for the rest of my life and that debt would only increase, should be the same for everyone else here, haha. If I actually had a fair bit of money to spare, I would support authors way more, but it's not really my first priority when I don't have much to spare each month after the necessary expenses.

I only buy manga from local publisher (of course with official license not the rip-off things).
It costs me around $1.76 (thanks to google rate)/volume.

Dex-chan lover
Have you followed any of the links to Amazon, EBJ, CDJapan, etc and bought any copies of your favourite manga?

How often?

And if you are willing to share, how much have you spent?

No. I do buy manga and such from Amazon. If you are an Amazon affiliate, I don't mind making all of my Amazon purchases through you (since I don't get credit for purchasing them from myself).

What do you actually do with your copies, if you can't read it?

They collect dust until I can read them.

Would a list of upcoming releases for new volumes interest you if we had it on the site?

Maybe.

@Seregosa
As some others have touched on in the thread, when space is a concern there is always the ebook versions to support them without actually needing stuff to carry around. (Which I'm also recovering from having to move several hundred pounds of manga lol)

eBookJapan used to have an edge over Honto because they allowed reading your ebooks in the browser, but now Honto also allows app or browser viewing. This makes it really easy to use OCR like KanjiTomo or inline readers such as RikaiChamp/Nazeka. They can handily supplement your kanji/vocab knowledge for reading manga or light novels.
I especially recommend Honto, because they offer a decent number of ebook coupons every month for 20-30% a volume or sometimes an entire order. And every so often I even see one for 50% off. Whereas EBJ doesn't really seem to offer discounts very much at all. ( honto.jp )

Fed-Kun's army
I see, well, indeed there are, I just posted my thoughts without actually reading further than the first comment, haha. I will probably start using them in half a year or a year when I'm fluent enough in japanese to actually read the raws. If I have the choice, reading in the original language will almost always be a better experience than reading a translation. I'll probably contribute a good amount to the authors then.

Thanks for the tips, I'll make use of them when I start reading raws instead.

I often use the links to read the mangas on the websites of the translators. I read it twice: here on mangadex and then on the translators website.
I never bought any copies from amazon, EBJ, etc. I can´t read Japanese, Korean, Chinese, etc but I am going to buy the english copies of the light novel Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou on amazon sometime this year.

Group Leader
I haven't used the links to purchase manga, no. Most of the reasoning comes from online shopping confusion; I much prefer buying them in person at a local bookstore.

Group Leader
I contributed to the author suffering by distributing his blood and sweat illegally, for free.

Contributor
NA response.
Never bought a physical copy from anywhere. I only buy digital copies for the purpose of scanlation and never look back after it's done.

I like buying manga translated to english or spanish like panini manga, etc
so i often visit their sites (i prefer manga in spanish).

I guess i spend monthly 500 pesos or more, it depends on what they sell i suppose.

If available, I like to buy the latest volume of a series I've just caught up to off of Amazon, then buy the Kindle versions for any volumes after that. I buy individual chapters from Amazon if they're not available on Crunchyroll (or if I'm bored and can't stand to wait for Crunchyroll to get the chapter). I would be interested in a list of upcoming English volumes if I could filter it to the series that I am following

Dex-chan lover
I either buy via Kinokuniya or pay back a friend that's placing an order via Amazon. Currently trying to support Gal Gohan, Rokudou no Onnotachi, Darwin's Game, Bright Cheery Amnesia, and Murciélago as some of my faves.

The only website that I've bought manga from is Amazon.co.jp. I usually buy manga that is either discontinued on MangaDex or chapters that are delayed for a long time. I would love to to see MangaDex have list of upcoming volumes that I'm interested in.

I followed the amazon link and purchased Voynich Hotel. It cost me $24. I'm not interested in wasting my limited bookshelf space on Japanese releases, but I'd love to own more English manga.

Contributor
I don't read manga that much, I am a however a filthy data hoarder who has filled up a 2TB drive worth of manga that I will occassionally enjoy on the weekends

I haven't spent any money on manga for over a decade now. I still have physical copies of Evangelion and Love Hina that I bought from Books Kinokuniya, the more obscure mangas are never stocked in my country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread