You'll never believe what happens if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but I am still a student and I can't afford to buy manga with the money i get from my parents.

Group Leader
Have you followed any of the links to Amazon, EBJ, CDJapan, etc and bought any copies of your favorite manga?
Amazon: Yes for physical copies,
EBJ: never used EBJ because I haven't figured out how to rip from there yet, so I use Bookwalker as my preferred digital choice, especially for their covers,
CDJapan: only if I can't find it on Amazon or if it's cheaper on CDJapan, and sometimes CDs themselves as that's what I originally used them for and still mostly do because the physical CDs I want on Amazon are often sold out or overpriced. And yeah, I still occasionally buy CDs... I'm pretty old school, so what can I say. I mainly to rip them digitally and keep the physical copies looking nice and neat on my shelf.

How often?
To check: daily...because I like to keep a personal record of each and all the series I follow on my hard drive along with all available links, genres, descriptions, alternate names...etc
To buy: it used to be monthly, but then IRL priorities shifted so it's now every 5-6 months or so, which coincides with when a new volume is released.
Excluding my favorite series, I typically don't buy series as they're being released, opting to wait until it's all out so I can buy it all at once. The reason being that I don't want to buy say up to 3 volumes, then find out I want to drop this series because I don't enjoy it anymore. The downside of this practice is that volumes sometimes go out of print before I can get my hands on them, which is why I'm forever grateful for this site and archives existing.

And if you are willing to share, how much have you spent?
For the reasons mentioned above, it's hard to say. Really depends on when they're released. But to estimate, probably anywhere from around 60-120 a year for Japanese volumes. I probably spend more on English volumes every couple of years, since I almost always exclusively wait until a series is complete before buying.

What do you actually do with your copies, if you can't read it?
They go on the "To read" shelf or if it's digital, I keep a rather unorganized mess of memo list of titles and read from Bookwalker's servers when I'm done finishing a current series that I'm reading. That being said, ever since mangadex came around and became so much more user-friendly than Batoto, my rate of adding new unread series to my list far outpaces my list of series I finish reading. I guess that's a good thing since I find lots of new series that I like.

Would a list of upcoming releases for new volumes interest you if we had it on the site?
Absolutely; ideally for both Japanese releases and North American English.

Group Leader
Holo > I'm sure you will do so when you finish your studies and have disposable income in the future.
Me, a year out of school: Disposable what now? That's a myth

Just kidding but not really T^T

I hardly ever buy physical editions from jp amazon (there are only 3 series i got from it, still no official translation) but if this manga show in my language i always buy it. Will shortly build 3rd bookcase only for manga,

I have never bought any volumes and stuff, though I do subscribe to the Shounen Jump Viz app thing. All the other stuff is just so... expensive. $13 for the equivalent of 10 or so chapters is just too much for something that I've already read, especially when considering how many I'd have to buy to actually get the whole story.

I own 14 volumes of monster musume and various other manga usually if I read it online I buy it

Before I came to this site, I bought manga all the time, and I still do. There have been many series that I have read, and have gone on to love so much that I start collecting the series in paperback. It's especially good when a series stops getting scanlated to know where to get them from. Mainly on here I read a lot of Chinese and Korean series, which are very hard to get physically get (as I like them in paper form) but also series which are staring out or don't have the physical copies out yet. In all honesty, in total so far, I have probably had about £1000+ spent on manga for me in all my years of reading it, but it is pretty hard ti guess acurately

Fed-Kun's army
Official releases in my country are scarse and terribly translated. I cringe even looking at them. Though if I could have access to manga in one place with paid subscription that would support authors then I would pay for it for sure.

I don't follow the links, mainly because they're not in my country. I buy what manga I can, and am interested in, when they're translated in my language, or if they're not translated then still I can get the english version cheaper from domestic sellers than buying from UK or Germany where nearest Amazon is.

I like the convenience of buying, well, from a convenience store, as well as supporting not only the original creators but bringing more diverse manga to my country and translators, publishers and distributors who make it possible.

I do own several hundred volumes now I think, Naruto and One Piece bringing the number up a lot. Also Hellsing, Death Note, Trigun and many others. I'd say I've spent well close to 1000€ on all of them combined.

Well to be honest, i use mangadex to search for good manga. If they're good, when the are available in my country I will buy them. When I have time, I would go to my local bookstore and buy some. My budget would cover around 4-5 manga a month. Examples of mangas I purchased after I read the in mangadex: Otoyomegatari, TenSura, OPM, Birdmen, Livingstone and more. I'm all for supporting mangaka, but I also would like to read freely something that I did'nt know I would have like without buying them

Aggregator gang
Now that I am here already I will answer your questions. I generally won't buy from abroad if I know the series will be licensed in my country. But if I buy something abroad I like to buy more than one volume at once.

Don't know if answering like this helps.

Aya

Group Leader
Have you followed any of the links to Amazon, EBJ, CDJapan, etc and bought any copies of your favourite manga?
In my experience, very few people buy JP raws, and only a small fraction of those that do can actually read them. The people I know who buy raws & can't read them are usually mega-fans of the series, and/or they buy raws for people to translate. The only incentive for most non-JP to visit those sites is to buy material that will absolutely never be released worldwide and/or is unlikely to be untranslated, such as art books and CDs. But I don't even buy those!

Would a list of upcoming releases for new volumes interest you if we had it on the site?
Definitely! It would also be nice to have a historical list of dates for past releases. But could you also make it so we can edit a separate list that shows when the worldwide English volumes are coming out?

I'd also like to be able to link to retailers for English releases. Whenever a new Yen Press release for Kiniro Mosaic comes out, I put a links in the Reddit thread for Indigo (Canada), Barnes & Noble (US), and Amazon (either US, or I use A-FWD to post an International link like this) so people can buy the English volumes.

So in other words, I think it would be way more useful to have the current system (with Retail links for the whole series), but add links for worldwide/non-Japanese retailers of the official English release to the dropdown, such as Amazon.??/A-FWD, Indigo.ca/Chapters, and Barnes & Noble. The fraction of series that have an English release is small, but it would still be handy. I've bought a decent amount of English volumes (primarily for series that don't have any/frequent scans) and 0 JP volumes.

Alternatively, if you do a list of past and future (i.e. up for preorder) English releases, it would be nice if we could link to multiple retailers for each one (quite different from the existing system), as most book retailers don't have a "series page" with all the volumes (but could link to search results or a list). You could have a collapsed list like this: [ul][li]Volume 1 (Amazon link | B&N link | Indigo link)[/li][li]Volume 2 (Amazon link | B&N link | Indigo link)[/li][li]Volume 3 (Amazon link | B&N link | Indigo link)[/li][li]Volume 4 (Amazon link | B&N link | Indigo link)[/li][/ul] etc. Whether it's hard to manage depends on how it's implemented.

I've bought manga and donated them to sclanlators before, but most of my purchases tend to be hentai for the sweet monopoly money on e-hentai.

Double-page supporter
If I want to buy something, I normally search it up on Amazon myself. I have yet to follow a link to buy it. I only buy to support, so I often just leave the books themselves sealed in their original shrink wrap. Sometimes I'll buy multiple copies of the same book.

Power Uploader
Have you followed any of the links to Amazon, EBJ, CDJapan, etc and bought any copies of your favourite manga?

Yes, on all the titles we translate the links are there and also follow for the interesting ones that appear on this web site.

How often?

Trying to limit the purchasing to 2-3 times a month... but mostly digital titles for personal reading, no space to hold any more paper... 😃

It goes without saying that we purchase all the titles we translate, most in both paper and digital formats.

And if you are willing to share, how much have you spent?

About $100-$200 per month, depends...

What do you actually do with your copies, if you can't read it?

As mentioned above, what is purchased is mostly digital and if bought is read...

I would love a 'user friendly' list of volumes coming out in Japan, it is really very confusing to find all new releases in one place so this would be a great help!
If that can be done for English volumes even better!

I don't follow the links, but I DO purchase the paper versions of the official English translations whenever they become available. I do that through the Diamond comics distributors catalogue that comes out each month.

I don't buy the original manga in Japanese, because why buy something I can't read?

Dex-chan lover
I've followed the links but appart from bookwalker I haven't purchased any physical copies, I doubt they may even get to my country

I haven’t purchased new manga in a decade. I’ll snag an occasional used book from the local thrift store, but that’s all I can manage (which does nothing to support authors).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread