You'll never believe what happens if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of my digital manga are in JPN, I don't have english digitals only physicals one. Since english digitals are almost the same price as english physicals here, I'd rather buy the physicals. I don't usually follow the links through mangadex here since the titles I read usually don't have any english translations because I follow magazine releases, off chance there is one I think I looked them up on my own. I find jpn digitals very inexpensive but I have spent a lot on them. I would love volume release news for both english and japanese! I find it easier to find out jpn volume releases because of sites like natalie, but for english releases since there are so many publishing sites and not really a unified news site I find it tedious to look through numerous sources.

Group Leader
As always, I'm a fucking idiot who collects comics. Here's my collection thats outdated by several months as I have more shit. https://imgur.com/a/towN2Hs

I don't really use mangadex links as I know where to shop myself. DOnt really buy anything not in English but will buy bilingual edition books.

I have followed them, but I have never bought them, Im going to be honest, if I was looking for either a RAW or english volume I'd probably just pirate it.

I have enjoyed the collaboration with MangaPlus, I always read SpyxFamily there and am interested in other of their titles like Summer Time Rendering, I dont read their other titles, as they are old and already scanlated.

Have you followed any of the links to Amazon, EBJ, CDJapan, etc and bought any copies of your favourite manga?
Amazon, EBJ, CDJapan doesn't have the artists I follow, so no.
I do buy from Tora no Ana and Melonbooks once or twice though.

How often?
As often as I go to Japan, which is around a cycle of 1-2 years.

And if you are willing to share, how much have you spent?
I just spent over $500 USD for C96, inclusive of tankoubons.
So my collection is probably worth over thousands.

What do you actually do with your copies, if you can't read it?
I keep them like rare books, preserved.
But more than that, it is the effort to support my favourite artists. If I ran out of space I might just use fantia.jp to support my favourite artists.

Would a list of upcoming releases for new volumes interest you if we had it on the site?
Only hentai stuff. Because I believe that those who draw normal shounen/shoujo stuff are well supported with multiple avenues of monetary streams.

I only hit it for the series I really really enjoy to support the author. And upcoming releases for new volumes would be great, there are some series that is not up to date and.or is slow. Having an easy to find way to get them gonna be great.

I don't actually use any of the links on this site other than the raw links. I have bought a few hundred dollars worth of light novels though using EBJ. For series I'm following, I buy them as they come out and cease reading any translations. I'm fluent in Japanese and I just ignore the Korean/Chinese raws. Not really worried about the releases since I'll keep up with any through other means if I'm actually interested in the series.

Group Leader
I buy some every now and then, but with the limited budget i have i only buy series i really enjoy.

Have you followed any of the links to Amazon, EBJ, CDJapan, etc and bought any copies of your favourite manga?

I have bought a couple of mags, usually those that I really like from CDJapan and 1 volume from Adlibris (swedish website where there are some licensed mangas)

How often?

Every couple of months I guess? I need to get close to the customs maximum before I need to start paying extra to import those books.

And if you are willing to share, how much have you spent?

At this point in time I've spent about ~$400 on manga, but next month I'm gonna do an order worth of ~$250-300

I don't buy original stuff, because of the language and money problem. (To pay for the book is one thing, but the ship fee would be more expensive than the book, and I don't like buy something what I can't touch with my hand.)
But in my country I almost buy every manhwa/manga which is available in hungarian. (Except naruto, because it has much more volume than I can buy, and I don't have enough free place for it)

i used to buy manga from my local book store since elementary school 12 years ago, but the local bookstore was gone since 2014 so... i never buy manga again... sad. (buying online need lot of money for the shipment and sometimes the shipment cost is more expensive than the manga it self)

i never bought anything, and it will never happen under these conditions. I dont support anyone on youtube, etc.
if there were super real restrictions on internet, and piracy would be eliminated completely, i would just stop wasting my time on reading\watching
my room looks minimalistic so much. In rl you can't tell that i like anime\manga\ln
It is uncontrollable habit.
On internet i only paid for plugins for 3d software AFTER i did mine job. Because when i get money with someone's help, i feel obliged.

Can't believe you just cucked me like that, but yes I frequently buy manga to support the authors.

Group Leader
I have done research on where to buy manga (Amazon, usually) to support the author, and recently bought the first volume of "Tale of a Girl and a Delinquent Who's Bad with Women." It was my first time buying a volume online, or one that I couldn't read. It was somewhere around 14 usd with shipping. I can't read Japanese, true, but I like to take it out and look at it since it's very cute. It'd be cool if there was a list of upcoming releases, I think I'd like that.

Contributor
My feeble mind...

I used to buy physical copies of the manga I read from bookstores like Barnes & Noble, though lately I've lived the life of a leecher.

Damn it well play...

I started buying manga volumes year ago after I got my job. I only buy the series that I like AND got release in my country. So far I have bought around 60 volumes ("manga" only, not counting other Japanese comic including Neko to Jiichan, Hoshi Mamoru Inu and In this corner of the world, and 24 volumes of Doraemon) and I definitely will buy more (currently I'm waiting for FMA the special edition, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Mob Psycho 100, The promised Neverland and Gokushufudou). The only series that I bought in different language (Japanese) is Mob Psycho 100. I buy manga maybe once per month or whenever I see a manga I like that get release/re-print I usually buy them immediately since my country has a very small manga market so the publishers don't print that many copies.

Like I said Mob Psycho 100 is the only manga that I bought despite not knowing Japanese (do doujinshi also count? I also bought some magazines and merch from Amazon JP). I just put them on my bookshelf and seeing them there make me feel content.

Baited here and will not answer like you hoped, sorry for this.

I'm a massive reader who spent 200-300€ per month to buy books released in my country (French here).
But I don't buy mangas in japanese.
But when a series i'm following on scans is released (in my country), I buy it (and the next) and stop reading it on scans.
(Recent examples : 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai' renamed '50 fades of fat' ; 'Risou no Himo Seikatsu' renamed 'A fantasy lazy life' and 'Gigant' is released on 08/29)

And because I'm a programmer, I build my own program to manage the huge amount of books I have. For now, it's e perfect round number : 8000 ; but it will continue to grow.
I read manga, european comics and novel (including the now translated japanese novels like 'Spice and Wolf', 'Sword Art Online', 'Goblin Slayer', 'Danmachi' and so more).

Why's there no poll here? lol
I can only buy some of my most favorite Light Novels as I don't have much leeway in terms of expenditure. I used to buy manga weekly though.

in my area , Manga's are difficult to get and unrealistically expensive....
IF your lucky enough to find one thats properly translated (ie: not a bootleg)
even when i had a wicked paying contract, 40euro/50 dollars is still too much for a normal size manga
(i didnt even include taxes)

in my old hometown tho i used to pick up alot.

Online is a different matter altogether- there is NO WAY i could afford to read everything with the standard print cost (very few ppl could to be blunt)
so at least sites like this one let me view things that i would not know about otherwise- kinda like the mixtape of the 2010s-'20s'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread