You'll never believe what happens if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
I have not purchased original-language copies of any manga, manhua, or manhwa.

I have purchased paper copies of licensed translations of works that I first discovered at this or other scanlation sites. I have made purchases from Amazon and through eBay. I buy new copies rather than used copies, and seek unremaindered copies.

I have made plans to purchase other licensed translations of specific other works that I first found on MangaDex or some other scanlation site.

I have repeatedly urged one publisher (Seven Seas Entertainment) to license specific other works that I first discovered at this site. If any publisher produces licensed copies of those works, then I will purchased them.

I’ve bought over 100 volumes of mangas (official English version) digitally on kindle and google play, a few of LNs and over 50 printed volumes of my various favourite mangas.
Truthfully speaking, I have more mangas than I have clothes! But I still keep buying them, anticipating their next vol to come out, or keep trying newer ones!
Even though I’ll probably never be reading many of them again, and they’re of no practical use to me, so basically I can’t read them.... but i keep on postponing trying to resell them.
Although, I really wanna keep’em with me forever (they’re just so cute! And adorable!). They’re just getting wasted this way.
Anyways, I’ll be interested to get information about official version/new volume release date etc. from this site, if possible, no pressure though.

No, I only check out the physical copies of manga from my regional library, and I try to only read a series if i have read all the ones available at my library.
EDIT: I meant the English releases, not the original Japanese, Chinese, or Korean releases.

Group Leader
If I need to support a manga, I usually buy it in my country (France, which means a lot of the mangas are available here).
I know this doesn't support it as much as it'd if I bought it from Japan.
However, I'm not rolling on gold, shipping fees and customs often end up costing WAY more than the product itself.
I'm not interested in buying Kindles digitals, first of all I already read a digital version (on MD most likely) and I have no interest in "owning" a bunch of megabytes. I love paper books/mangas/etc and I had to buy something to support an author, I'd rather get something I definitely like.

However, very rarely, when something really hits a home-run with me and blow my mind into oblivion, so far that I can't find it again, I'll consider buying the original tomes because it was that incredible.
This is something that happened with https://mangadex.org/title/22422/the-duke-of-death-and-his-black-maid for instance.

So yeah, I occasionally follow links from the manga page (and I love the fact they're here). I haven't spent buckets from them however, since as I said I mostly buy locally. I can't read my copies, yet, so for now they just sit (after I've flipped pages for personal pleasure, love paper-bound tomes) on one of my bookshelves.
I'd be interested in a feature about upcoming releases (tomes), I'd even suggest to also add (later) upcoming releases for other languages getting a lot of releases (French person talking, but I guess Spanish/Italian and some other languages are quite covered too ?).

Dex-chan lover
I have spent $0 because I am a broke bitch and have used the links a couple of times

Dex-chan lover
I buy physical copies of almost everything I particularly enjoy that I can get my hands on. I really enjoy re-reading series after a few years, and nothing beats doing that with a physical edition. Buying manga is my only real money-sink, anyway.

When I know a manga is too niche to ever really be localized, I'll personally pick up a copy in Japan (at Book Off or at full price, depending on how much I want to support the author) when I'm on holiday or from an import retailer in my country. If a localising company does interest surveys/localisation requests online, I'll also fill them out with series I want to see localised, if I can be bothered. Lastly, if I really, really want to own a tankoubon, I'll sometimes buy it on CDJapan, although I'm not a fan since I often feel I get cheated out of the promotional illustrations/merchandise that often comes in the Japanese editions. Not to mention the shipping costs make any money I'd save from avoiding the mark-up moot.

Never buy digital versions though: like @Shyning mentioned, that's how I first come across most of these series anyway, and I don't really care to own the rights to a .jpg copy I could easily download.

I don't particularly care too much about an upcoming tankoubon list: even if a japanese volume has long been out, I'm never going to know how long it will take for it to get published in my country. Not very useful to me, frankly.

Dex-chan lover
Purchasing the English copies is expensive enough. I don't have the funds to buy them pre-translation.

"Would a list of upcoming releases for new volumes interest you if we had it on the site?"
Not really. I think I'd take a gander at it out of curiosity at best.

Group Leader
I have 350+ physical copy mangas on my bookshelf because of years collecting (my country licensed them so I bought it).

Also spend some for buying digital manhwas to read online (eg. Doctor Elise, Sica Wolf, etc.) and spend some too buying raws. I started buying raws around June I think, usually I always buy manga in a language I could understand 100% perfectly, however there are some mangas that aren't licensed but very good... I think those are the time I ended up buying the Japanese raws xD

I've bought the first volume of Beastars to support the author but that's about it, I do plan on buying more in the future though.

To be honest, I never noticed those affilate links nor used them.
You could change the signup process to list features how to support authors or how you receive support. I just clicked for the first time on the info drop-down-meu. Yeah.

[ul]Have you followed any of the links to Amazon, EBJ, CDJapan, etc and bought any copies of your favourite manga? No.
How often?
And if you are willing to share, how much have you spent? avg. of 30 EUR monthly
What do you actually do with your copies, if you can't read it? Cloud-Storage, Book-Shelve, Basement.
Would a list of upcoming releases for new volumes interest you if we had it on the site? I'm not sure. Make it optional (can be disabled if the user has no interest).
[/ul]

I would love a service such as Audible for Mangas. I just pay 7 - 16 USD/EUR a month and I can just read any manga without hassle, advertisement and restrictions. Without having to wait 6 months for translations (ENG). Sadly the japanese market shares the same issues as the german publishing media, living in the 90's. You can't even throw money at them if u want. The Japanse Manga industry didn't care for 20 years about the international audience/market. The germans didn't wanted to accept that they have to change their business strategies.

Dex-chan lover
fuck clickbaited lol

as for your Q, i just try to look for whatever stuff's there on Kinokuniya. keep on forgetting to check bookwalker. aside from that though i do have about a dozen books i need to read, so not planning to buy any new books anytime soon (unless Monster Girl Encyclopedia stuff comes out)

Dex-chan lover
I guess the only time I'm really committed to purchasing a manga is when I know I'll learn something out of it like Bakuman or Blue Period, or when it's something I'll die for it, lol.

Even then I don't know if I'll actively look to purchase since I still feel tight on cash.

I buy manga and light novels from my local book store from time to time (1-4 times per yr), current collection is over 450 volumes collected over the past 10 years or so, most recent trip was about $600 (prior trip was 6 months ago), websites checked on occasionally: mangaupdates, yen press and seven seas for licensing info. and I just like the feel of hard copies.

Dex-chan lover
i import some english-translated manga-s to my country and make review videos of them for my youtube channel , DayWithoutGames , to advertise the manga-s .

with manga-s which have "sensitive" contents , like nudity , $ex , ... i buy the digital kindle versions from www.amazon.com , because im afraid that the custom officers in my country will confiscate my paper-back manga-s , so they can "research" the manga-s intensely , lol . maybe some other sites , like barnes and noble , also have digital manga-s , but im too lazy to make new accounts just to buy 1 , 2 manga-s .

i also buy the digital kindle versions of manga-s which dont have paper-back versions .

some examples of my english kindle manga-s : interspecies reviewers , dragon's crown , doraemon , goblin slayer , machimaho , ...

i buy what i can afford . i will buy more and review more manga-s if more guys donate to my youtube channel , lol , the number of my current donators = zero .

tips :

- the cheapest way to support the japanese mangaka-s is buying the digital kindle manga versions from www.amazon.co.jp or some other sites .

- for buying USA kindle version : some manga titles are region-locked to USA , but you can just make an amazon account with some random USA address / or change your current address to an USA one , and then those titles will appear for purchase . i dont live in USA but i can buy most of the region-locked kindle manga-s just fine . below is an example :

latest

Dex-chan lover
I followed link in discussion to buy 3 volumes of Onii-chan is Done For (each 400 JPY with 110 JPY boost) from BOOTH where I found out that I'm already registered, but don't remember when and why.
I've looked at those bought volumes, felt a bit proud of myself and then forgot about them and continued reading translated chapters on mangadex.
List of released volumes on manga detail page may be great but currently my pockets are dangerously empty.

EDIT: I remembered that I once bought 5 physical volumes of random manga translated into Czech. Translation was catastrophic so I never read it.

Ada

@ixlone I wonder if I could do that too (will test it out once I have some money) - hopefully there is not any restrictions to what I can buy on Amazon- a lot of things are locked to regions or at last not viable for Norwegian people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread