Your Highness, Don't Leave! I Will Lose Weight for You!

Fed-Kun's army
@Pokari
You reply to me as if I was advocating blaming people for being fat, which I didn't do and I'm strongly opposed to bullying based on appearance. But my comment was against propaganda. Of course for a lot of people it is difficult to stay within average values, however it doesn't mean that we have to start saying that over or under values are fine too. Simply from a medical point of view.

Contributor
@ciurrb:

it doesn't mean that we have to start saying that over or under values are fine too

But conversely, our constant repeating that being overweight is "not okay," in judgemental fashion, is a huge problem.

Saying, "[X] leads to health issues," dispassionately and in a neutral context, is fine. But as far as being overweight goes, it's not news to anyone.

Saying, "it's okay to be happy with your body when you're fat," is not medical advice—nobody ever mistook it as such. It's about social image and self-worth. But there is a tendency to reflexively say, "you shouldn't encourage them," when telling people that they're allowed to have some self-confidence in these matters, and saying that it's medically motivated is a poor excuse. (To be clear, I'm not saying everyone is being malicious. Often it's just simple thinking: "Fat"="Bad"! We must discourage this! See, the idea that "fat"="bad" is drilled into everyone's brains. And so we, for instance, start talking about health even when that might have nothing to do with the subject at hand (e.g. body-image and self-confidence). And without realizing that perhaps being told unthinkingly that you're "bad," over and over again, is not necessarily at all beneficial to the person involved.)

Crucially, the social issues around being overweight are at least on par with (i.e. same order-of-magnitude of damage to one's life), possibly even greater than, the health issues at this point, in how damaging they are.

An aside: To be clear—as it appears I wasn't, apologies—I'm not, or at least I'm not trying to, attack you for what you've said; this is more of a tirade about how in general our society goes about "feel-good fat shaming," where we claim we're being "helpful" when telling people that they shouldn't accept themselves as they are (in the same manner that a pastor trying to "help" someone out of being gay is "feel-good shaming," and yes I realize that unlike being fat there are no medical side-effects of being gay, but that's not the point). And about how what you are saying plays, wittingly or not, into that narrative. It's not an obvious thing. To grok how our system of thought is set up to coax well-meaning people into harmful fat-shaming is something that took me, myself, a long time; no pithy one-liner, no one person's explanation, has sufficed to convey it. And honestly, I'm still working on it.

This looks like it might be interesting. I look forward to more chapters. I'm especially curious as to what the "medicine" that MC is apparently being fed is. I wonder if she's just being fattened up or if the story is actually going to address the fact that sometimes people have to take medicine that makes it nigh impossible to stay within a certain BMI. It would be really interesting if so, since I've not seen much manga/manhua/manwha out there addressing such. I'm doubting that's happening, but I'm hoping.

Ok wow if she can't even get off the ground by herself then that's full on obesity. Was thinness the trend in the Tang Dynasty? If so, it's understandable that to marry well - because that's all women could do then- is very important and also is improvement of self image.

@Pokari I love reading your comments - well-written, structured, meaningful. And that little R.A.Heinlein reference - whether intentional or not - just made my day.

The idea is interesting, but the A.I. going "LOSE WEIGHT!" all day is too in-your-face and annoying. What is even the point of a disembodied voice treathening the Mc to do its will or else? It cheapens the character when the thing she achieve are not because she wanted them but because she's being forced

Aggregator gang
You know... There was a time period in China where being fat was considered a status symbol. Fat women were admired because it meant they came from powerful rich families. I find it funny that these comics never take place in that era or that they ignore it completely.

It's also funny how the modern beauty standards are constantly pushed in Chinese historical fantasies. Has anyone seen photos of Chinese royals? They weren't that good looking. It's be nice if there was at least some acknowledgement from authors that beauty standards change. Maybe the faces we find beautiful now wouldn't be so 500 years ago?

BCS

Dex-chan lover
@draw2much it's pretty much a rule set in stone that if a man*a has a "historical" tag, there's almost nothing historically accurate about it.

This is at best mediocre and only has one joke - she’s fat, haha! - that is so well-trod elsewhere that the first four chapters can offer absolutely nothing new or novel. Beyond the fact that it’s all trite, it’s also vicious. I’ll pass.

Any recommendation for good chinese manhua? This is the only one right now where I can follow the storyline...in the other chinese ones I read, the storyline was juming too fast from event to event, some events also happened with not sufficient explanation, the chapters were also too short and I had trouble following what's going on. I noticed that those problems mostly arise in chinese manhua, don't know why though. Because of that I avoided reading any other chinese ones altogether, until I found this one, which I find kinda okay...well not exactly good but not bad enough that I quit reading it (though I am a little annoyed that the manhua makes it seem like being fat is the worst thing that can happen to you in your life...not a fan of that mindset) Now I wanna give chinese manhua a second chance and am looking for some good ones, so please: some recommendations? 😅😄

@learasc
I highly recommend "cheating men must die" as a really good Chinese manhua, the story is pretty legible and the main character is great. It's a story of terrible people getting their just deserts in due time

@Poisondilu

when I read it I wondered if the AI wasn't an attempt at parodying or making fun of Solo Leveling.
Remember at the start where he is in the hospital and he gets commanded by the status window to do 100 situps, 100 pushups,...

while this story has lots of fun points, and i do like the artstyle and lots of the humourous parts, it's also very condescending towards fat people lol. there are many parts of the comic where they've achieved humour without fat shaming, so really fatshaming from the MC and other characters is unnecessary, and mean, too.

also historically, during many periods in china, being fat has been considered as a beauty standard.

thank you for the chapters, though!

Though being fat can be seen as a beauty standard in the past. Slim was also a beauty standard. It depends on the time period/emperor fetish. Tho it was never obese level.

Users who are viewing this thread