Yumenashi-sensei no Shinroshidou - Vol. 2 Ch. 8 - Aspiration: Male Idol Part 3

Dex-chan lover
I don't get it. Is the gacha machine scene supposed to mean something? Why is teach looking at doge gacha anyway?

Supporter
He's still earnestly trying which is admirable in itself. I know he's still written to be arrogant but let's face it, most people that want that kind of career need that arrogance and belief. I can't wait to see how his story develops further and I still hope he can find a way to achieve his dream. Thank you for translating this masterpiece.

Dex-chan lover
I want Ryo to win. I'm sick of know-it-all, invincible teacher always being proven right. I can't believe none of you guys is rooting for the obvious underdog.
Don't get me wrong; it'll be great if Yumenashi is wrong at least once, since it will be an interesting twist for this genre. Ryo's an underdog alright, and in his defense, he's actually pretty determined to make this work (which I respect), but his personality kinda not making me want to root for him.

Group Leader
I don't get it. Is the gacha machine scene supposed to mean something? Why is teach looking at doge gacha anyway?
With this kinda career, you only really get one chance to really give it your full effort towards aiming where he wants to go. So basically the author is saying he only has enough energy to try and go all the way once/pull the gacha you want once.
And he’s using Yumenashi as an example for people who want to and may have what it takes(he has a 500 yen coin in his wallet), but due to circumstances (coin exchanger being out of order), they have to give up on it.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
With this kinda career, you only really get one chance to really give it your full effort towards aiming where he wants to go. So basically the author is saying he only has enough energy to try and go all the way once/pull the gacha you want once.
And he’s using Yumenashi as an example for people who want to and may have what it takes(he has a 500 yen coin in his wallet), but due to circumstances (coin exchanger being out of order), they have to give up on it.
Dang. I didn't notice the coin exchange thing. Thanks as always!

Power Uploader

I'd add that the machine being out of order also alludes to the fact that high-stakes career choices have an enormous component of sheer luck, implying that no matter how hard Ryo's trying, the necessary factors may not align for him to make a breakthrough. The pyramid nature of the idol profession makes that clear, too.

It's interesting because there've been a couple books, like The Tyranny of Merit (written by a philosopher) and Success and Luck: Good Fortune and the Myth of Meritocracy (written by an economist) exposing the idea that meritocracy is fair and that working hard takes you there as the cock-and-bull story it is. Just like Ryo, there are lots of young men and women working as hard as they can, only a tiny minority will make it, through no fault of their own.

Well, that's exactly what Takanashi has told him. He can't say he wasn't warned. But like Takanashi said in the showdown with Kirigaya, Natsuno's young: he will make mistakes. Takanashi is probably fully aware he's behind the thrashing of his plant pots, so if he's willing to forgive that, so am I, though I still want Natsuno knocked down a couple pegs.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I want Ryo to win. I'm sick of know-it-all, invincible teacher always being proven right. I can't believe none of you guys is rooting for the obvious underdog.
Honestly, it'll be a really nice change of pace if this dude indeed becomes a somewhat successful idol. But the experience somehow turn him into less of jerk. Maybe he'll understand why sensei warned him about it.

Dex-chan lover
I'd add that the machine being out of order also alludes to the fact that high-stakes career choices have an enormous component of sheer luck, implying that no matter how hard Ryo's trying, the necessary factors may not align for him to make a breakthrough. The pyramid nature of the idol profession makes that clear, too.

It's interesting because there've been a couple books, like The Tyranny of Merit (written by a philosopher) and Success and Luck: Good Fortune and the Myth of Meritocracy (written by an economist) exposing the idea that meritocracy is fair and that working hard takes you there as the cock-and-bull story it is. Just like Ryo, there are lots of young men and women working as hard as they can, only a tiny minority will make it, through no fault of their own.

Well, that's exactly what Takanashi has told him. He can't say he wasn't warned. But like Takanashi said in the showdown with the Kirigaya, Natsuno's young: he will make mistakes. Takanashi is probably fully aware he's behind the thrashing of his plant pots, so if he's willing to forgive that, so am I, though I still want Natsuno knocked down a couple pegs.
Agreed. We only see the successful one. Similar examples include sports. In England where being a professional footballer is a dream job, only 10% of kids make it. Lots and lots of them fail not because they're not good enough but other factors. Injuries, not being able to adapt to the coaches, not being scouted, terrible career choices etc. Even worse when they're trained since kids so most of them have no other career options

Dex-chan lover
We really do need at least a successful one to keep the dream alive.
Which spawns more students who believe that dreams do come true to those who work hard enough.

Dex-chan lover
His bad personality and arrogant attitudes make me want him to fuck off. He's not even a polite guy, like the guy who liked trains. The other trainees seem to be having fun, though~ :nyoron:
Thks for the tl~

Users who are viewing this thread