Yumenashi-sensei no Shinroshidou - Vol. 2 Ch. 9 - Aspiration: Male Idol Part 4

Dex-chan lover
Same reply fits.
Same reply is just as unfitting.
I find your idea of speedruning the whole story in fifteen pages even weirder.
That wouldn't be a speed-run. Delivering it in eight or fewer pages would be a speed-run.
It's not really hard to see how a story that's straigtforward+ can be worth telling with more detail than it really needs.
Nope. The key is in the word “really”. If a story is complex or if it is nuanced or if it is novel then it may really need more pages. But giving any story more pages than it really needs is just padding.
Chalking it up as a rut is just shallow and unimaginative.
Nope; quite the opposite. Your desire to have the familiar belabored reflects shallowness and a lack of imagination.

Dex-chan lover
Um, ok. You seem convinced that some stories should be told efficiently. I don't think that's how art or entertainment works.
You need to understand words better. You could start by getting your head around the word “efficiency”, which of courrse means understanding the concept of efficiency. Art that is inefficient is less effective, ex definitione.

Dex-chan lover
You need to understand words better. You could start by getting your head around the word “efficiency”, which of courrse means understanding the concept of efficiency. Art that is inefficient is less effective, ex definitione.
Wow I didn't know you were the authority on what constitutes "efficient art"...

Bro what the hell does that even mean? This is art not the code for some program. Sure perhaps the author COULD spend less time (or pages) on certain things, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's being padded. And it certainly doesn't make this any less complex or nuanced.

If you think so that's fine; I can maybe understand why you may think so. But quit acting like you're some authority on this. Your opinion (which I also agree is quite strange) isn't more valuable than everyone else's here.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Wow I didn't know you were the authority on what constitutes "efficient art"...

Bro what the hell does that even mean? This is art not the code for some program. Sure perhaps the author COULD spend less time (or pages) on certain things, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's being padded. And it certainly doesn't make this any less complex or nuanced.

If you think so that's fine; I can maybe understand why you may think so. But quit acting like you're some authority on this. Your opinion (which I also agree is quite strange) isn't more valuable than everyone else's here.
Use a goddamn'd dictionary. Don't think that you know what “efficiency” means simply from hearing or reading the term used in various contexts. Whether I'm an expert at efficiency in art was not the issue; what was at issue was somebody incoherently claiming that art is not to be judged by its efficiency.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Use a goddamn'd dictionary. Don't think that you know what “efficiency” means simply from hearing or reading the term used in various contexts. Whether I'm an expert at efficiency in art was not the issue; what was at issue was somebody incoherently claiming that art is not to be judged by its efficiency.
But the use of "efficiency" when discussing art makes little sense. Again this is manga, not programming code. What do you say when, for example, you go to an art museum and look at the art exhibits?

"Hmmm...it's ok but I think the artist used too much blue for the sky. Their use of blue was inefficient"

"Hmm...it's alright but I can tell the sculptor spent way too much time chiseling the legs. That wasn't an efficient use of their time."

I realize a manga and an art exhibit are different, but they're still both fundamentally pieces of art at their core. You don't think the above sounds a little ridiculous? You can criticize the art absolutely, but why frame such criticism from an efficiency perspective? You're saying people need to "understand words better," but if people are honestly not getting what you're saying, then you're doing a poor job of explaining yourself. Telling someone to "use a goddamn'd dictionary" isn't helping people understand where you're coming from either.

Not to mention how do you even rate a piece of art's efficiency? And in the case of manga, there's no objective metric to do so. it's all guided by personal opinion on what one considers "padding."

If we're seriously going to have art be "judged by its efficiency," that means there's an objective and consensual metric to facilitate doing so. As far as I know, there is none (unlike say with my programming example, where efficiency is measured by time complexity).

So again where are you getting this notion from?

Dex-chan lover
But the use of "efficiency" when discussing art makes little sense. Again this is manga, not programming code. What do you say when, for example, you go to an art museum and look at the art exhibits?

"Hmmm...it's ok but I think the artist used too much blue for the sky. Their use of blue was inefficient"

"Hmm...it's alright but I can tell the sculptor spent way too much time chiseling the legs. That wasn't an efficient use of their time."

I realize a manga and an art exhibit are different, but they're still both fundamentally pieces of art at their core. You don't think the above sounds a little ridiculous? You can criticize the art absolutely, but why frame such criticism from an efficiency perspective? You're saying people need to "understand words better," but if people are honestly not getting what you're saying, then you're doing a poor job of explaining yourself. Telling someone to "use a goddamn'd dictionary" isn't helping people understand where you're coming from either.

Not to mention how do you even rate a piece of art's efficiency? And in the case of manga, there's no objective metric to do so. it's all guided by personal opinion on what one considers "padding."

If we're seriously going to have art be "judged by its efficiency," that means there's an objective and consensual metric to facilitate doing so. As far as I know, there is none (unlike say with my programming example, where efficiency is measured by time complexity).

So again where are you getting this notion from?
You're still relying upon an under-educated and thoughtless conception of “efficiency”. Again: Use a goddamn'd dictionary, so that you are not writing incoherently from the outset.

(And nobody should pull the bullshit move of quoting only a definition of least relevance to art.)

Dex-chan lover
You're still relying upon an under-educated and thoughtless conception of “efficiency”. Again: Use a goddamn'd dictionary, so that you are not writing incoherently from the outset.

(And nobody should pull the bullshit move of quoting only a definition of least relevance to art.)
You know what I give up. If you're not willing to be civil and actually engage in the discussion then I'll just chalk it up to you being a complete idiot and moving on.

If you're as smart as you seem to think you are then why don't you enlighten us and tell us the definition? Or are you once again going to tell us to "use a goddamn'd dictionary"?

Methinks you're the one who doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. You can't even be bothered to explain yourself, which is why you're clearly deflecting by telling us to grab a dictionary. I can (and have) Google the definition of efficiency you fool, it still doesn't explain your nonsensical notion of "efficient art."

Dex-chan lover
You know what I give up. If you're not willing to be civil and actually engage in the discussion then I'll just chalk it up to you being a complete idiot and moving on.

If you're as smart as you claim then why don't you enlighten us and tell us the definition? Or are you once again going to tell us to "use a goddamn'd dictionary"?

Methinks you're the one who doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. You can't even be bothered to explain yourself, which is why you're clearly deflecting by telling us to grab a dictionary. I can Google the definition of efficiency you fool, it still doesn't explain your nonsensical notion of "efficient art."
So, you open the dictionary, read the definition of “efficiency”, and thought “Uh oh!” So you go out with yet another blah blah blah comment. * shrug *

Dex-chan lover
So, you open the dictionary, read the definition of “efficiency”, and thought “Uh oh!” So you go out with yet another blah blah blah comment. * shrug *
Yeah I did. The definition does not help explain your notion. So I ask again smartass: explain what you mean.

I already know you can't though. It really is quite sad how you make such a big deal about "efficent art" and the moment someone asks you to explain what you mean you have nothing meaningful to say

Dex-chan lover
Yeah I did. The definition does not help explain your notion. So I ask again smartass: explain what you mean.

I already know you can't though. It really is quite sad how you make such a big deal about "efficent art" and the moment someone asks you to explain what you mean you have nothing meaningful to say
No, dumbass, you introduced the word into discussion, misusing so that your objection was incoherent from the outset. So, what we need here is an apology from you for claiming that effectiveness has nothing to do with the quality of art, and for your subsequent arrogant, ignorant pontification, and then a thoughtful comment, if possible, arguing that this protracted delivery of a seemingly stale story is actually accomplishing something of aesthetic value.

Dex-chan lover
No, dumbass, you introduced the word into discussion, misusing so that your objection was- incoherent from the outset. So, what we need here is an apology from you for claiming that effectiveness has nothing to do with the quality of art, and for your subsequent arrogant, ignorant pontification, and then a thoughtful comment, if possible, arguing that this protracted delivery of a seemingly stale story is actually accomplishing something of aesthetic value.
Was it not you who said someone was "incoherently claiming that art is not to be judged by its efficiency." I take that to mean that you do believe art should be judged by its efficiency. Hence the term "efficient art," which granted isn't what you explicitly said but what's the difference in this case?

And you think you deserve some kind of apology after the way you have been acting? Huh, I didn't know you were entitled as well. I don't owe you an apology or any kind of "thoughtful comment," especially when you haven't answered any of my questions regarding your aforementioned notions.

You are absolutely delusional.

Dex-chan lover
-
Was it not you who said someone was "incoherently claiming that art is not to be judged by its efficiency." I take that to mean that you do believe art should be judged by its efficiency. Hence the term "efficient art," which granted isn't what you explicitly said but what's the difference in this case?

And you think you deserve some kind of apology after the way you have been acting? Huh, I didn't know you were entitled as well. I don't owe you an apology or any kind of "thoughtful comment," especially when you haven't answered any of my questions regarding your aforementioned notions.

You are absolutely delusional.
Nope, the rudeness started with you, and as you have discovered yourself to be in error, you've just cranked that higher. You don't owe an apology just to me, but to the audience more generally.

You wrote incoherently; when you found that you were wrong, you tried to cover that over with a combination of escalating hostility and verbosity; you pseudo-quit discussion; and, when challenged to show
that this protracted delivery of a seemingly stale story is actually accomplishing something of aesthetic value.
you've just side-stepped the matter. Each bit of that warrants an apology to the audience.

Dex-chan lover
-

Nope, the rudeness started with you, and as you have discovered yourself to be in error, you've just cranked that higher. You don't owe an apology just to me, but to the audience more generally.

You wrote incoherently; when you found that you were wrong, you tried to cover that over with a combination of escalating hostility and verbosity; you pseudo-quit discussion; and, when challenged to show

We're not here to point fingers about who was rude first (which, by the way, I'm surprised you don't think telling someone to "use a goddamn'd dictionary" isn't the least bit rude. But I digress). We're here (or at least I'm here) to discuss your idea, which I disagree with, that art ought to be "judged by its efficiency" (remember that these are YOUR words. YOU said this).

I'm perfectly willing to engage in a civil discussion, but the question is are you? Again, when you tell me to "use a goddamn'd dictionary" you more or less shut down any further civil discussion on the matter.

you've just side-stepped the matter. Each bit of that warrants an apology to the audience.

Dude, we're not discussing the "aesthetic value" of the manga. That's another matter separate from the one me and jesuscristo are discussing with you. Why would you even bring that up? I don't care if you believe this manga's story is "stale" or that it isn't "accomplishing something of aesthetic value." It's not relevant to this discussion.

Can you at least stay on topic?

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
We're not here to point fingers about who was rude first
With you bitching about rudeness, yes we are.
I'm surprised you don't think telling someone to "use a goddamn'd dictionary" isn't the least bit rude.
Oh, it would have been rude, if not in reply to your rudeness.
We're here (or at least I'm here) to discuss your idea, which I disagree with, that art ought to be "judged by its efficiency" (remember that these are YOUR words. YOU said this).
In response to
You seem convinced that some stories should be told efficiently or something.
You two should stick with words that you know.
I'm perfectly willing to engage in a civil discussion,
Then your first comment should have been civil; or, failing that, you should have apologized.
the question is are you?
You need also to know what “civil” actually means. It does not refer to being pleasant to those whose behavior is corrosive to a social order, as yours has been.
when you tell me to "use a goddamn'd dictionary" you more or less shut down any further civil discussion on the matter.
Wrong. Had you begun civilly, my response would have been uncivil; but you didn't and it wasn't.
Dude, we're not discussing the "aesthetic value" of the manga.
Yes, we are. Effectiveness in art is exactly correspondent to aesthetic value and vice versa.
Why would you even bring that up? I don't care if you believe this manga's story is "stale" or that it isn't "accomplishing something of aesthetic value." It's not relevant to this discussion.
The discussion began over exactly these issues.
Can you at least stay on topic?
Evidently, you cannot recognize the topic.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Whatever man just keep being a fucking idiot for all I care. It's abundantly clear that:

1) You don't know what you're talking about.

2) You're entitled and just as rude (seriously asking for an apology without offering one of your own. Get off your high horse dude).

3) And, to use your own words, you're "incoherent" and refuse to elaborate on your own thinking.

I have explained clearly and coherently why your notion of judging art by its efficiency is ludicrous. Yet here you are not offering any kind of counterclaim or response. You constantly tell us we're "using words wrong" or you bring up matters that completely derail the larger discussion.

You two should stick with words that you know.

You need also to know what “civil” actually means. It does not refer to being pleasant to those whose behavior is corrosive to a social order, as yours has been.

Hey hypocrite maybe you should take your own advice. I'm not gonna be pleasant to a smartass who insults others' intelligence. Treat others how you'd want to be treated.

If you're gonna act like an entitled smartass I'm gonna treat and talk to you like one. Plain and simple.

Wrong. Had you begun civilly, my response would have been uncivil; but you didn't and it wasn't
You mean your response would have been "civil" right? Maybe you need a "goddamn'd dictionary" yourself! Of course, knowing you you'd probably behave uncivilly as you say even if I came into the discussion as civil as I could be.

Yes, we are. Effectiveness in art is exactly correspondent to aesthetic value and vice versa.

The discussion began over exactly these issues.

No, it did not. I was piggybacking off of your discussion with jesuscristo, where you both started all this by talking about the complexity and nuance of the manga (where, if you go back to your first reply from him (or her) you said this manga was "not complex and not nuanced"). Not to mention whether the manga was resorting to padding or not...

I guess you didn't have that "goddamn'd dictionary" on hand because if you did you'd know that NONE OF THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH AESTHETICS.

Aesthetic (adj): concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty; pleasing in appearance.

That is the dictionary definition of aesthetic. Are you saying the manga's art itself doesn't look good? That it's not pleasing in appearance?

Again follow your own advice and "stick with words you know," then maybe you won't sound totally "incoherent" 😃. I suggest "using a goddamn'd dictionary" for those harder words like "effectiveness" and "aesthetic".

Evidently, you cannot recognize the topic.
🤣
Sure man. Sure.

I'm not going to entertain this "he said, she said" business regarding who was rude or uncivil first. I'm willing to be the bigger adult here and put that notion to bed. From the very start, all I asked was for you to explain your line of reasoning. Can you do that? I know I still won't agree, but at least it would let someone else here who happens to read all of this understand where you're coming from.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
judging art by its efficiency is ludicrous
Ah, apparently you didn't look-up the definition of “efficiency”, because you're still using it incoherently. Well, you don't deserve to have your work done for you, but here's the definition from the SOED:
1. The fact of being an efficient cause. Now rare or obsolete. l16.
b The action of an efficient cause; production.
2. The quality of being efficient; the ability to accomplish or fulfil what is intended; effectiveness, competence.
You two have been incoherently saying that art should not be judged by its effectiveness.

You mean your response would have been "civil" right?
No, dumbass; you and then I were referring to my actual response, not to what other response I might have instead made.
I guess you didn't have that "goddamn'd dictionary" on hand because if you did you'd know that NONE OF THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH AESTHETICS.
Here is the definition in the SOED:
The philosophy of the beautiful or of art; a system of principles for the appreciation of the beautiful etc.
Now, before we get to your truly pitiful failure to understand a word, note that the definition reads “or of art”. We don't need to fret over the full and proper meaning of “beauty” (which would be too challenging for you). Let's just note that you don't know what “art” means.
Are you saying the manga's art itself doesn't look good? That it's not pleasing in appearance?
No, the art under discussion has always been the art of story-telling. Writing is an art. The other fellow at least seems to have understood the word “art” just fine; he introduced it in discussion, in reference to the story-telling as such. The argument has been about the effectiveness of that art in this case. But because you two didn't know the meaning of “efficiency”, the discussion went of the rails and you felt licensed to be rude. And, because you [singular] didn't know the definition of “art”, of “aesthetics”, or of “civil”, things have only got worse.
I'm not going to entertain this "he said, she said" business regarding who was rude or uncivil first. I'm willing to be the bigger adult here and put that notion to bed. From the very start, all I asked was for you to explain your line of reasoning.
You performatively contradict yourself in two ways with those three sentences. j
Can you do that?
I've done that repeatedly; you just don't have the language skills that you should have developed as a child.

Dex-chan lover
Ah, apparently you didn't look-up the definition of “efficiency”, because you're still using it incoherently. Well, you don't deserve to have your work done for you, but here's the definition from the SOED:

You two have been incoherently saying that art should not be judged by its effectiveness.

I'm willing to listen. Like I said can we please stop talking past and insulting each other. I'm through with it and it's not accomplishing anything. If you say art should be judged by it's efficiency, then how does one go about doing so in an objective and consensual way? Tell me I'm curious as to what you think. I'm not you or a mind reader—I can't understand what you mean unless you explain yourself. Instead of insulting my intelligence just explain how one can judge art by it's efficiency in the way I describe. If you believe it can you must have a means in mind for how it can be done in, again, an objective and consensual way.

No, dumbass; you and then I were referring to my actual response, not to what other response I might have instead made.

Here is the definition in the SOED:

Now, before we get to your truly pitiful failure to understand a word, note that the definition reads “or of art”. We don't need to fret over the full and proper meaning of “beauty” (which would be too challenging for you). Let's just note that you don't know what “art” means.

No, the art under discussion has always been the art of story-telling. Writing is an art. The other fellow at least seems to have understood the word “art” just fine; he introduced it in discussion, in reference to the story-telling as such. The argument has been about the effectiveness of that art in this case. But because you two didn't know the meaning of “efficiency”, the discussion went of the rails and you felt licensed to be rude. And, because you [singular] didn't know the definition of “art”, of “aesthetics”, or of “civil”, things have only got worse.

It was never explicitly stated that the term "art" in the discussion was referring to the manga's writing. Then just say writing then. I'm aware writing is an art form, but I'm sure you understand that when someone talks about art when discussing a manga they most likely mean the actual art of the manga, drawn by the artist. Art is a broad term after all.

You performatively contradict yourself in two ways with those three sentences. j

I've done that repeatedly; you just don't have the language skills that you should have developed as a child.

No you haven't. Again you say art should be judged by its efficiency. Great. But you haven't explained how one would even go about doing that in a objective and consensual manner. I think I get why you think so, but the leaves the question of how? I disagree with your reason why; your reason how is what I really want to know.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I'm willing to listen. Like I said can we please stop talking past and insulting each other.
You began the rudeness, and you've never apologized.
It was never explicitly stated that the term "art" in the discussion was referring to the manga's writing.
He didn't need to be explicit, as all the antecedent remarks to which he was responding referred to the story-telling as such.
No you haven't.
Yes, I have. But, because of your poor language skills, that discussion has gone right past you, and you've said things such as
When I've made remarks exactly about the story-telling as such instead of about the visual quality of the illustration, which you mistook for the other fellow and thence I meant by “art”.

You shouldn't need and don't deserve spoon-feeding.

Users who are viewing this thread