Yuukoku no Moriarty - Vol. 10 Ch. 38 - The White Knight of London Act 4

Dex-chan lover
I still can't figure out if this manga is part of Shonen Jump's appeal to the female audience of shonen? Or has modern Jump bishonen syndrome reached such a level that their all-male titles are no longer distinguishable from shoujo? However, in this regard, Moriarty is still far from Hanako-kun and Horimiya, possibly due to the lack of a focus on romance.

Dex-chan lover
@SuperOniichan Maybe it's a mix of both. Something like how titles such as Kuroko's Basketball was aimed at male readers, but attracted a good amount of female fans too.

Bishounen syndrome allows for further expansion of the marketing circle to cover both male and female readership.

@SuperOniichan well moriarty was serialized in jumpSQ (who also in the same zone as Ao no Exorcist, D.Gray-Man, Kono Oto Tomare & Owari no Seraph) so I can say it's just labelled as shown but the appeal of the artstyle easily drawn female targeted audience considering the author who drawn them were also female.

Dex-chan lover
@nijimurasan Jump has a separate sub-brand for shoujo-ish titles like Moriarty and Tomare? Well, if we ignore the design of the characters and some specific demeanor (Sherlock obviously behaves like a male character from shoujo, not shonen), then I would say that this is just an all-male shonen from 00s.

@zz2000 While I’m not against such treatment in manga in general, it’s quite ironic that nowadays people in the West think that male-targeted brands should be gender-neutral, but at the same time emotionally protect female titles from male audiences.

Like another commenter said, I feel very conflicted by how quickly everything wrapped up in this chapter. On one hand, William's tragic stage play is finally set in motion, as he's now addressed the world publicly as the Lord of Crime. On the other though, I would have loved to have spent more time following Whiteley and his younger brother and seen them interact in a more personal way instead of how by-the-book their relationship was presented in this arc. It might have helped to actually form an emotional bond with these characters and it would have made their demise a lot more shocking and upsetting.

I also hope the 'howdunit' of Milverton's machinations are shown in more detail soon. Having a villain show intricacy in their plans makes them a more considered and threatening antagonist.

Thank you for the tl, as always!

@SuperOniichan It's probably a female artist, even in more shounen mangas (Reborn to give another example) drawings tend more to the bishounen style as they likely practiced drawing a lot in the shojo style while growing up. And it's not surpriding that Shueisha with many magazines has one with a more female oriented shounen, Jump SQ is not indicative of what they want for WSJ.

Well.. if i must say.. i like this YuMori because of it's storyline and how it emphasize Sherlock Holmes' story in a different view. I dont really care about who the targeted audience is.. b'cuz it's me~ >< can't wait for next chapter.. (+ thanks Lime-nim)

Apart from the blackmail schemes that his literary counterpart practiced, I find it interesting that the manga's version of Milverton is acting a lot more like the traditional interpretation of Moriarty than William.

While a bit rushed, the arc does get what it wants to preach and show out. Whitley was a serviceable plot character and he was done well with his backstofu and personality but as people said, a little bit more time on his relations would be better.

I agree with them but I still feel this arc was pretty good. Milverton is probably Moriarty hardest villain to date and it's show quite well here. Also shows there were others who also tried to change the nation as well so gave the world a little bit more detail. I give it a good 8/10

i laughed hard at that crack translation in the end, it took me a minute to realize you hinted at sherliam dying (or not) together in chapter 55 lol
thanks for the translation!

The moment where Will asked for Whiteley's life! I was like, "OMG HE IS SO GORGEOUS!"

Users who are viewing this thread