Zom 100 ~100 Things I Want to do Before I Become a Zombie~ - Vol. 5 Ch. 17 - Hometown of the Dead 3

Fed-Kun's army
@Darklight99
You completely misunderstand what makes a villain cartoony. It's not what they're doing (at the surface level they're all doing the same things, more or less) and how it compares to what real people do; it's their motivation and background and how they are portrayed. The chain of events that leads a regular, perhaps even upstanding person to discard their morality adds gravitas to their actions. Their transformation and their eventual downfall is what makes their character an actual character worth caring about. The fine details in their behavior—the occasional self-doubt, or a moment of vulnerability—lets us see the human being beneath the surface of a villain.

It's important that readers have strong feelings about antagonists and connect with their humanity (and before you confuse this as well, commenters here aren't feeling strongly about the antagonists themselves—they hate the fact that they're so bland, which is a different layer of perception). It's great to have a hateable antagonist like Cersei Lannister or Griffith, but it's even better to have a likable one. Consider the examples of Tyler Durden who follows a cause we fundamentally believe to be righteous but chooses terrorism as his method, or Hannibal Lecter who embodies many admirable qualities but is also a ruthless killer, or even the Joker who encapsulates the freedom from the social shackles and contrivances that we so often abhor and fall victim to but brings only chaos and decay in its wake.

This contrast between what we like and dislike about them is what makes them concentrated, better-than-real versions of relatable people for the purpose of a narrative—just like the fact that no written work wants to show you every moment of a protagonist's life: it's always just the outtakes, the highs and lows that that make them interesting to follow.

Dex-chan lover
Man that guy awesome I hope this villain live long and appear more often. You don't so need much bullshit to be evil, just look at twitter you can find a lot of them there.

Dex-chan lover
Tbh I think this whole idea would have been saved if the villain was a solitary actor lashing out at a reformed idyllic society that he still can't find a place within. It would have raised the questions of why he was not helped to integrate, why his acts of sabotage were not detected, or why his self-isolation was simply accepted instead of investigated and so on.
By having accomplices he's just a cartoonishly evil villain with generic minion characters, being evil simply because he envies others' happiness.

Dex-chan lover
In case you ever have to rescue someone stuck with electricity, rubber boots dropkicks work just fine. Even just running into them and tackling them away works if you're short on rubber boots and other non-conductive implements.

But if you try to just grab hold of them with your bare hands (especially both hands at once) then you're at serious risk of getting stuck with them, roasting.

Dex-chan lover
this whole arc is retarded, dumb and unnecesary, these "villain" characters are unnecesary and reeeeeeeeeeeeally dumb.

this has lowered the quality of the manga considerably, it's tanking

Dex-chan lover
@Eliminateur
I mean, it is not the first weak arc - I personally absolutely hated the zombie shark.

Why were there a dozen divers in the Great White shark tank? Why would torn-up and swallowed zombie parts suddenly be able to move (that has never happened anywhere else in the manga), much less moving in a coordinated fashion? And why would they be able to run around carrying a shark that should weigh easily over 2 tons? Not to mention that they would have never been able to keep a purely aquatic animal balanced - that shark would have faceplanted instantly when out of the water and only held up by feet sticking out of it's stomach. If animals can also zombify, why haven't we seen zombie cats, dogs, birds, rats or even insects?
Just to mention a few points of why I hated that shark arc.

But yeah, I absolutely agree that this arc is so far the worst of them. I wouldn't go so far and call it tanking from a single bad arc, but it certainly does not look great if that is the best idea the author could come up with regarding the MC's hometown and if this is the quality of a human antagonist he produces.

Dex-chan lover
@Eliminateur
I mean, it is not the first weak arc - I personally absolutely hated the zombie shark.

Why were there a dozen divers in the Great White shark tank? Why would torn-up and swallowed zombie parts suddenly be able to move (that has never happened anywhere else in the manga), much less moving in a coordinated fashion? And why would they be able to run around carrying a shark that should weigh easily over 2 tons? Not to mention that they would have never been able to keep a purely aquatic animal balanced - that shark would have faceplanted instantly when out of the water and only held up by feet sticking out of it's stomach. If animals can also zombify, why has haven't we seen zombie cats, dogs, birds, rats or even insects?
Just to mention a few points of why I hated that shark arc.

But yeah, I absolutely agree that this arc is so far the worst of them. I wouldn't go so far and call it tanking from a single bad arc, but it certainly does not look great if that is the best idea the author could come up with regarding the MC's hometown.

My personal feeling is that the author is simply out of his depth - it feels like he's trying to tell a rather mature seinen story with the toolkit of a shounen manga. Onedimensional, simple, rather childlike characters, story arcs that don't feel properly though through and even artwise they look way more like high- or middleschool kids rather than adults in their mid-20s. The moments where this actually feels like seinen are far fewer than those where I think "this is targeted at middleschoolers", at least as far as I am concerned.

Dex-chan lover
I liked this better when there was some commentary and symbolism going on in how the characters were set up.

I feel like we've gone one dimensional and made some straw nihilists the bad guys that just lack depth or sophistication.

I would rewrite this antagonist not to be so shallow but instead to have it where he thinks that the zombie apocalypse is actually good for society, as he thinks that the exploitation of the workers in the black companies (tying him to the conflict the main character was facing) and the and the corruption within civilization as opposed to the freedom he can get from lawlessness driving him forward.

Hell, that would give him an actual reason to destroy the town and have supporters. He thinks that the freedom he'll get in his short time alive is ruined if people try to create organized societies which, in his mind, will inevitably fall into the same traps and moral decay that he thinks Japan did BEFORE the zombies showed up.

@Tamerlane If society is anything to go by, this types of actions fit to a T with how stupid people are when crisis happens. If you look at what is happening right now with the Covid-19, you can see that some people seriously just want to watch the world burn because they lack tact/brains. And with how this guy is a NEET I don't see how would he ever give any kind of commentary other than the one where people suck so I fuck them over for kicks and giggles.

This feels even more real now that there are lots of people infected with coronavirus who caught redhanded in camera deliberately trying to infect others. Sad, sad world.

Before covid 19 i was like "Wth is wrong with this villain? There's no way there'd be people taking the efforts to kill others when there's a worldwide calamity going on"

And now I found the author to be a true genius....

These type of retarded villains deserve extreme torment before they die

Fed-Kun's army
Wow big brain time, where you turn your only stable safe haven into shambles when you don’t know how to even look after yourself

Wooooow, a classic villian. Havent seen one of those in a loooong while. Anyway,
BADASS VILLAGE
BADASS VILLAGE

Users who are viewing this thread