I Sold My Life for 10,000 Yen per Year. - Vol. 3 Ch. 16.5 - I Say a Little Prayer

At first I was pretty mad at the ending. First, why does it matter that they're rich? The whole point of everything that they did and how they fell in love was that money wasn't a part of it. (Also is a theme of the manga, that life is priceless)
Second, the girl just throws her life away then? because she would have still only had three days with the MC. It was only her first love. She still had her whole life ahead of her. it makes the MC's sacrifice pointless.

However

Looking at this as a tragedy, like Romeo and Juliet, it makes more sense. This is a story about some young / naive individuals. It's sad because we know that there's more to life out there. We ourselves know even when the MC sells his life for barely any money (its like 3K USD) that he's making a dumb decision. Those of us that are older and have some life experience know that these sacrifices are dumb. Just like taking poison just because you think you're first love is the bomb.
It makes you want to scream *No it gets better, I swear!*

I hope that perspective helps some of you. I was a bit lost for a day or two until I had that realization.

Uhh just holy shit I'm gonna be messed up tomorrow
This isn't one of those hits hard to make you cry shows it's just depressing as hell and will make you think about it for the next week. Honestly tho I've really been needing something like this and it was just a beautiful story. I don't know what else to say but just 10/10 would erase my memories to read again.

Fed-Kun's army
@lokomoko90 ikr? I have those thoughts too. This guy is only her 1st love right? But If I were her, I would do that too. I still believe on a mere joyful minute can beat 30 years tho. It's hard to obtain real happiness so I'll definitely grab the opportunity. Ah, more like she's satisfied so there's no point I guess to continue life JK

I think some of you have misread the ending. If the girl did not sell her life to be with her lover for 3 days, then it would conflict with the decision to throw away the money. For what is the value of time unspent? nothing. An arbitrary amount of time in the future has no value compared to time right now for someone who is living their lives fully. Therefore, it is the right decision.

The whole point of the manga is that it is trying to teach you what the value of time is, and what is a meaningful way to spend that time. And that question has been answered. As seneca wrote in 'Shortness of time' - "But life is very short and anxious for those who forget the past, neglect the present, and fear the future. When they come to the end of it, the poor wretches realize too late that for all this time they have been preoccupied in doing nothing."

Compared to 99.99% of humans who have lived, those two actually managed to do it - they lived fully for a short period of time. That is more valuable than an eternity spent being preoccupied. It doesn't matter if its 1 day or 2 days or 10 years, any amount of time is the "right amount" of time for someone who knows how to use it.

The decision of the man to throw away his fortune and fame selling paintings is also the right decision.

They saw through things clearly.
That is all.

@Pramit
loved your comment.

I absolutely loved how the town came to see Miyagi as a "real" person and how they treated them as a couple. Perhaps if I saw someone who was truly happy I would do the same. That chapter where his neighbour accepts Miyagi's existence was poignant and really stuck with me.

I wonder what my version of 3 final days of happiness would look like. And what can I do to make it last a lifetime. This is hard. And needs more reflection. I think it would be interesting to write down what I would do if I had 3 months and see what pops into my mind as truly important

Thank you for this masterpiece Taguchi & Miaki

Tomorrow

by
Edgar Guest

"He was going to be all that a mortal should be
Tomorrow.
No one should be kinder or braver than he
Tomorrow.
A friend who was troubled and weary he knew,
Who'd be glad of a lift and who needed it, too;
On him, he would call and see what he could do
Tomorrow.

Each morning he stacked up the letters he'd write
Tomorrow.
And thought of the folks he would fill with delight
Tomorrow.
It was too bad, indeed, he was busy today,
And hadn't a minute to stop on his way;
More time he would have to give others, he'd say
Tomorrow.

The greatest of workers this man would have been
Tomorrow.
The world would have known him, had he ever seen
Tomorrow.
But the fact is he died, and he faded from view,
And all that he left here when living was through
Was a mountain of things he intended to do
Tomorrow."

Why am I reading this in the middle of a school week... I'm gonna start crying in the zoom calls randomly now damn

@malazanrookie
I wonder what my version of 3 final days of happiness would look like. And what can I do to make it last a lifetime. This is hard. And needs more reflection. I think it would be interesting to write down what I would do if I had 3 months and see what pops into my mind as truly important
I thought about this myself, and this is what I came up with:

Be irrational.
It's okay to be weird and do weird things. You'd rather be weird than lose out on a chance to express yourself.
Share happiness with others
Time is limited, every second counts. The finest day flees first.
Don't give in to fear. Do it anyway.
Look at the cost - the real cost. See things clearly.
Chase after something beautiful.
Be a friend to some people. If you cannot find someone who can be a friend to you, don't stress about it. You gotta open your heart.
Love a few people. Don't worry if they don't love you back. (Although may be you should try to find someone who does love you back.)

Reject some perspectives.

It was a bad idea to read this while listening to "Everywhere at the end of Time" by the care taker. Or maybe it was a good one? hmm

Double-page supporter
"Expecting anything to last forever is ridiculous, I think"

"I think that's ridiculous"

"You think that's ridiculous?"

"Yeah, of course everything lasts forever"

Users who are viewing this thread