mangadex-downloader - A command-line tool to download manga, chapter and list

Hello, everyone !

I have a CLI (Command-Line Interface) downloader tool that you can try on. It can download manga, chapter, list. Just type the url, run the app and you're good to go !

The application is written in Python, so it should run in multi platform. Github link: https://github.com/mansuf/mangadex-downloader

Currently (v2.5.4 as i writing this), the tool offers:
  • Download manga, chapter, list directly from URL or unique ID (UUIDv4)
  • Download manga in different languages
  • Download manga or lists from user library (saved manga, saved lists, followed lists)
  • Download random and seasonal manga
  • Download manga or chapter as Comic Book (.cbz or .cb7), PDF, EPUB, or raw images
  • Download manga in each chapters, each volumes, or wrap all chapters into single file
  • Optional quality switching images (original or compressed)
  • Authentication (with cache) support
  • Batch download support (offline or online file)
  • Search (with filters) and download manga
  • Filter chapters with scalantion groups or users
  • Configuration support, you don't have to write so many command-line options with this
  • Groups or users blacklist support, chapters won't be downloaded if blacklisted groups or users has been found
  • Tags blacklist support, manga won't be downloaded if blacklisted tags has been found
  • Respect API rate limit, so you won't get banned while downloading
And many more, for more information you can see documentation here -> https://mangadex-downloader.rtfd.io

If you have any suggestions, ideas, or maybe a question, you can comment in this thread. Thank you !

Note: I don't have any interest make this as an GUI app, i suck at UI.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Yeah, i mean hakuneko has different sources while my app support MangaDex only. And hakuneko is a GUI app while my app is a CLI. But my app has specific features for MangaDex that hakuneko doesn't have (like i listed in the thread).

Each applications has it's own pros and cons.
I am all for doing your own thing. For my use HakuNeko is a 15 pound sledgehammer for a ball peen job. That's the Gallagher in me coming out.

Download manga or lists from user library (saved manga, saved lists, followed lists)

Count me in, this tool is amazing. I have used hakuneko before and i need to copy and paste the manga i want to download from my library, which is kinda annoying for me.

Dex-chan lover
Count me in, this tool is amazing. I have used hakuneko before and i need to copy and paste the manga i want to download from my library, which is kinda annoying for me.
Look up AutoHotKey. Automates all the key presses. I can give you the key press script too, If you can't figure it out.

Dex-chan lover
Looks useful. Do you have a recommendation for command(s) to download my entire library?

Rather than looking for the stuff online that I want to read offline, I think it would be more convenient to just let my computer dump everything to disk overnight and sort through it afterwards.

Looks useful. Do you have a recommendation for command(s) to download my entire library?

Rather than looking for the stuff online that I want to read offline, I think it would be more convenient to just let my computer dump everything to disk overnight and sort through it afterwards.
Sorry for late reply, you can use library, list or followed-list commands to download your entire library.

Bash:
# Download saved manga
mangadex-dl "library" --login

# Download saved lists
mangadex-dl "list" --login

# Download followed lists
mangadex-dl "followed-list" --login

You will be prompted to enter username and password during login process. If you don't want to get prompted, you can use --login-username and --login-password

Note: by default, it will prompt you to select which manga and list to download. You can use --input-pos "*" to select all choices without getting prompted.

Another Note: mangadex-downloader are using legacy authentication, this doesn't work for new accounts created after 17 December 2022. Also it doesn't work too if you changed your password after that date. This is because MangaDex new authentication system cannot be used for third-party applications yet.

You can see all available commands here -> https://mangadex-dl.mansuf.link/en/stable/cli_ref/commands.html

Dex-chan lover
Sorry for late reply, you can use library, list or followed-list commands to download your entire library.

Bash:
# Download saved manga
mangadex-dl "library" --login

# Download saved lists
mangadex-dl "list" --login

# Download followed lists
mangadex-dl "followed-list" --login

You will be prompted to enter username and password during login process. If you don't want to get prompted, you can use --login-username and --login-password

Note: by default, it will prompt you to select which manga and list to download. You can use --input-pos "*" to select all choices without getting prompted.

Another Note: mangadex-downloader are using legacy authentication, this doesn't work for new accounts created after 17 December 2022. Also it doesn't work too if you changed your password after that date. This is because MangaDex new authentication system cannot be used for third-party applications yet.

You can see all available commands here -> https://mangadex-dl.mansuf.link/en/stable/cli_ref/commands.html
Fantastic. Thanks. Good thing I have an old account. Can it sort downloads by status/list or by author, does it dump everything in one place?

Fantastic. Thanks. Good thing I have an old account. Can it sort downloads by status/list or by author, does it dump everything in one place?
You can sort downloads with reading status for saved manga. But, the app doesn't support sorting downloads for list / author yet.

Example usage:

Bash:
# Download all saved manga with "reading" status
mangadex-dl "library:reading" --login

# Download all saved manga with "Plan to read" status
mangadex-dl "library:plan_to_read" --login

You can find all available statuses in here -> https://mangadex-dl.mansuf.link/en/stable/cli_ref/manga_library.html#statuses

Does it dump everything in one place ?

The application create an folder with manga title name and then dumped in there for each manga. It does support user defined path, but you will found folder like that inside. This behaviour will be changed in v3.0.0, you can see the progress here -> https://github.com/mansuf/mangadex-downloader/pull/80

This appears to be quite useful. I was wondering if you could kindly provide me with a recommendation for command(s) that would enable me to download my complete library? Instead of searching for the desired content online that I wish to read offline, I believe it would be remarkably convenient if my computer could simply transfer everything to disk overnight, allowing me to sort through it at a later time.

Dex-chan lover
Sorry to burst your bubble but have you heard of Neko app? It has extremely similar functionality and is built specifically for MD.

Users who are viewing this thread