Call of the Night - Ch. 199 - A Fascinating Tale. You Should Become a Writer.

Aggregator gang
Kou and Nazuna’s relationship is super adorable, but I think that made y’all assume that this was a “love story” when it’s actually about the healing that can come from temporarily escaping your normal reality.
There is something to be said (I read this in the comments of the last chapter somewhere) that this story is basically telling you to hurry up and go back to being a normal person already, but at least that’s a critique of the themes based on the actual information presented and not complaining about how the sexy vampire lady didn’t end up with the lost middle schooler…
The entire manga: a teenage human and a teenage-ish vampire slowly falling for each other with other (and the boy wanting to become a vampire which will happen when he fully falls for her) and about the trials of other vampire/human couples around them.
You: Nooooooo it's actually about Healing. You're ignoring the themes to complain about the romance!"

Dex-chan lover
That was like… years ago atp
There’s significantly more of the story post-detective vs pre-detective
You might just not like this story
Right. It tanked. The post-detective story is worse than pre-detective. That's the point. I don't know why you're re-stating what I said like you've made some new contribution here. Post-detective is melodramatic, and filled to the brim with pointless plot threads, characters, etc. Now we're stuck with some annoying wabi-sabi ending.

Dex-chan lover
Kou and Nazuna’s relationship is super adorable, but I think that made y’all assume that this was a “love story” when it’s actually about the healing that can come from temporarily escaping your normal reality.
There is something to be said (I read this in the comments of the last chapter somewhere) that this story is basically telling you to hurry up and go back to being a normal person already, but at least that’s a critique of the themes based on the actual information presented and not complaining about how the sexy vampire lady didn’t end up with the lost middle schooler…
I hope you didn't miss the 'Romance'-Tag.. since that usually does imply there IS love involved supposedly 😐

Dex-chan lover
555eb0dcea80339369d83c66.w800.jpg

Listening to this classic portuguese banger by chance while reading this chapter. Quite fitting!

Dex-chan lover
Why does this feel like its setting up a sequel series?
You know, that's actually a really interesting thought, given the number of implications that have not yet been addressed.

It really depends on Kotoyama's approach to worldbuilding and Chekhov's gun. Kotoyama has shown a predilection for being a very detail oriented writer who did a lot of planning in advance. The repetition of various motifs, the appearance of characters in the background well before they showed up in the story, the significance of framing and other details - those have generally always been plot relevant, especially during the sleuthing portions of this story.

Were the questions she's left unanswered supposed to add depth to the world by leaving the answers up to our imagination? Or are they intended to be explored in a sequel? Only time will tell, I guess.

@Eighty-six What do you think?

Double-page supporter
f0b.jpg

There goes my hope for a happy end...
I'm still holding out hope.

Especially the vague lines towards the end where he's being asked a question in a quotations in a random though box, unless I'm mistaking it.

Dex-chan lover
The entire manga: a teenage human and a teenage-ish vampire slowly falling for each other with other (and the boy wanting to become a vampire which will happen when he fully falls for her) and about the trials of other vampire/human couples around them.
You: Nooooooo it's actually about Healing. You're ignoring the themes to complain about the romance!"

Nobody said romance always worked out.

Ahhh, I avoided the comments for this manga for many arcs after it became clear to me that a lot of readers felt 'cheated' because the characters are flawed, make mistakes, things don't work out, and it wasn't the lovey-dovey romcom some thought it was. Then blamed the manga and keep going on about how the series is 'objectively bad'. Quite a hoot.

Nice to see that hasn't changed a bit.

Reminds me of Kaminomi or Medakabox. It's predictable which series you Philistines end up yapping about....anything that doesn't neatly fit the mold. Good thing this series doesn't depend on you bootleg website parasites. It depends on millions of captivated Japanese readers (who most assuredly largely have the maturity to not read something they don't like, especially when hundreds of manga are at their fingertips) and a manga industry that heaps accolade after accolade on the series. I'm sure you edgy bois have far more elevated tastes, eh?

100% the ending is going to involve the gimmick of his beeping watch which he is still wearing. Anyway, this author seems terrible at wrapping up his work and this feels like it got axed
Yeah yeah it won awards, so did arrested development

So the manga just happens to be axed at chapter 200 exactly and arrangements made months before, and a western show receiving Emmy's is equated to the Japanese manga industry's awards structure. And we should take the word of someone who thinks they're cool for having a contrarian opinion to millions of viewers of said show, and readers of said manga?

The level of delusion is astounding.

Little for me to say about the series itself at this point. By right it should speak for itself, it's great. By rights at least...

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
They split up, then some time later (a year or years) the other one shows up again and they finally get together.

Roll credits
Hoping it's more of a "together forever" situation where Kou is immortal as well somehow (e.g. his half vampirization turns to full).

Also, I REALLY hope the next chapter is LOOOOOOONNNNGGG.

Double-page supporter
damn, I feel like this author just absolutely loves writing love stories but hates writing endings to them. Like, for fucks sake just let your protags get together for once.
I won't ever read any manga he writes next if this doesn't end up with a purely sweet, happy ending where they get to stay together as lovers forever.

Users who are viewing this thread