Risou no Himo Seikatsu - Vol. 16 Ch. 65 - Heritage

Dex-chan lover
Also, on another note, hence the response to my own post...
If the Japanese Mangaka and original Authors are getting tired of the western "bullshitery", and that isn't much of a big if, then they might start looking into contacting the (often clearly better) fan translation groups. If they can offer something like official endorsement (and/or actual financing) I sincerely doubt that the "fan" translators would have any issues whatsoever with their translations being used officially...
The only problem then is finding a physical publisher to print the officially edited fan translations. This could easily be resolved by online publishing, but that has all the drawbacks of "online publishing" and lacks the benefits of physical copies (which is less of an issue for the original content creators and more of an issue for the consumers).
I think I've seen some web comics that get official nods from their creators for localized versions. No money involved, but no desire to stop a possible growing market.

Dex-chan lover
Truly... Sevenseas is the bane of TL.

That said J-Novel Club has quite a good translation of the Light Novel so give it a lookout if you wanna read more

Dex-chan lover
As opposed to fan translators, who take the utmost care by using Google Translate?
Careful with that broad wording. I'm sure it's not your intention, but you're pretty much lumping Ron and his group into that lot as well. And I'm sure that some mangaka would jump at having a group like Ron's do the translation on their work.

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if it could be interpreted as them asking to break off the engagement since she couldn't possible trade with the twin kingdoms directly once she joins the inner palace of Capua.

Dex-chan lover
I think I've seen some web comics that get official nods from their creators for localized versions. No money involved, but no desire to stop a possible growing market.
Absolutely, but the original creator also doesn't get anything (financially, I recognize that it opens a market, but the problem is the horrendous censorship "official" English publishers are doing). If they officially endorsed a "fan" translator in the sense of using their translations for the official English publisher, then they might have a better selection for "correct" translations.
That's what I meant.

Dex-chan lover
I'm dumb... can someone kindly explain why her accepting the gift while not in red be something bad?
The Twin Kingdoms have been trying to cut Zenjirou and the Capua Kingdom out of the negotiations so they can deal exclusively with Freya from the beginning so as to reforge the connection to their former homeland. Remember that Zenjirou and by extension the Capua Kingdom are acting as essentially a proxy for Freya and by extension Uppsala(except when she is wearing Red, which shows she is representing herself as Capua Kingdom's/Zenjirou's guest) in these negotiations, so any opportunity the Twin Kingdoms can take to remove the proxy from the board they will seize that opportunity and Freya needing magic tools was the opening they took.
yeah, that was also the reason why Luchino asked if she had considered doing an indirect trade through the southern countries. He knew from the start what Freya's answer would be and he only asked as an indirect way of telling her that they would also like to do the same, bypass the middlemen (in his case Capua).
Pretty much. Ultimately, I'm sure that Zenjirou and Aura know that Freya will be approached for direct dealings. Which was why Zenjirou gave her the go ahead... provided that the deals she makes will not hurt the Capua Kingdom.

Personally, I would see no real issue with it myself. The Twin Kingdoms would not want to court any real ire from Capua by proposing a deal that cuts them short, especially when they are this close to being able to produce the marbles that will make magical tool production so much easier.

In short, Capua still holds the biggest trump card, even if it's not quite ready to put into play yet. So long as Freya does nothing to endanger that, or does anything that involves Zenjirou's son, she can proceed with due caution.

Besides, it'd really be utterly tasteless to bar the Twin Kingdoms from reforming connections to their previous homeland. And this will probably neatly resolve Upsaria's desire to acquire magically proficient bloodlines for their general populace. Where Capua has no desire to let children, even war-orphans, be taken to a strange nation, The Twin Kingdoms may see it as coming home.

Dex-chan lover
First off, I'm in a bit of a manic mode, so I will ramble. Ignore this as "old man yells at cloud" and you'll likely be happier.

-------

I'm thinking of the days before Cartoon Network showing anime on Toonami in the afternoons (long before they started and ended up migrating to "Midnight Run"). I've got VHS tapes / DVDs of Akira, Elfin Lied, Serial Experiements: Lain, Evangelion, or even the stupid Ranma 1/2 (which has a lot of toplessness), and things like that. Those would never be on Toonami. I remember being age gated out of Heavy Metal at Blockbuster. Hmm. Shows like this are now shown on streaming services. I'm a fan of Dorohedoro or Berserk, for example.

So, I guess it is actually less of an issue in the anime sphere. Is there a comic / novel service that works on the edgier works? The services I've seen seem to be fragmented so I can never get what I'd want on a single service, so it isn't worth investing to me. Also, I'd rather just buy the digital versions instead of a subscription, like I own digital versions of GUNNM (humble bundle sale :) ).

I wonder what would be considered the most extreme of the "family friendly" impression that'd be shown mainstream. DanMachi? They spend far too much time talking about breasts at the start of the second season, I stopped watching. Added nothing to the show or story. .... Maybe Ghost in the Shell: SAC? I wouldn't touch Made in Abyss with an 11 foot pole if I were them. (no idea of the current line ups)

The Sci Fi channel (long before the name change) used to have hard sci-fi anime movies on the weekends. That was great. Saw Appleseed.

Now that I think about it, I'm still miffed that Cartoon Network didn't air an episode of Outlaw Star (can see it on the DVD bundle I got) that had hot spring fan service, while the main character was trying to climb a mountain and kept being tossed off said mountain into the springs with the female cast or others. In the first episode they censored a poster above the MC's (Gene Starwind) bed of a topless lady. Neither change really affected the story and characters though, so it was enjoyable still.

------

I suppose the issue is two fold. The production side is less experimental (no 52 episode seasons any more for example), but I'm not sure if the more extreme shows are being made less often or just at a lower ratio to the overall number of productions, and the other issue could be the localizing side which may pick and choose more strictly.

If anything, I really don't want to or have the time to research and write an anthropology paper about cultural trends, but my perspective as someone that spent far too much time watching anime growing up and is now closer to 40 than I realize on any given day, is likely different from most. Also, my opinion is just that. My opinion.... until I dig up production facts, which I stated I don't want to do.

..... man, I miss Tenchi Muyo. The story itself wasn't great, but I loved the universe. Each additional show in the said universe just got worse though.
I full heartedly agree with you on the streaming issue. Unfortunately most things are going that way, and, unless you are "allowed" to "download" the digital "asset" in an unrestricted and unmodifiable way, you absolutely don't own it. As a reminder/example, people purchased videos from Sony (on PlayStation if I recall correctly), which were later delisted because they "lost licensing rights." So, it doesn't matter where or how it's "hosted" if it isn't explicitly on your computer in a way that cannot be changed from the outside, you don't own it... Which sucks, but is the way things are going...

I also grew up watching anime, but, clearly, my experience/exposure was far more limited... money and access, really... And I am 36 going on 37... Similar, but not equal experiences.

Also, an episode of Avatar the Last Airbender was not available on Netflix for some inexplicable reason +I know it isn't Anime, but it's still relevant). The episode was where Katara meets her mother's killer. Absolutely nothing in the episode excuses it being removed as it was about as tame as the other extremes...

Dex-chan lover
I think a lot of Mangaka would like to do this, except that the issue is with the publishers in Japan. They often have a clause of exclusive publishing rights where only the publisher can decide on who gets the right to publish licensed translations.

The only way around this would be if the mangaka could self-publish their own work and maintain sole IP ownership so they can decide for themselves who to license distribution rights of translated versions of their work.
True, but I don't think the issue with the butchering of the content is solely one that the Mangaka (or Author in the case of adaptations) are affected by.
While I might have phrased it as the Mangaka doing the acceptance, I more meant the Japanese publisher who gives out said rights.
'sides, if they could cut out the "middle man" that is American (et al) publishers and their selected translators (who likely aren't the actual issue) they could get more money... I sincerely doubt that the US has laws preventing international business ownership (in fact I am fairly sure we don't), but I can't speak for the rest of the West.

I.e. if Japanese publishers bought printing facilities in (other countries) and used their own selected translators (perhaps proven "fan" translators?) then the only point they would have to contend with is the physical book sellers (i.e. retail shops) and whether they would be interested in selling the books.

Contributor
Careful with that broad wording. I'm sure it's not your intention, but you're pretty much lumping Ron and his group into that lot as well. And I'm sure that some mangaka would jump at having a group like Ron's do the translation on their work.
That’s exactly what I’m trying to say here.

Fan translations can have great teams like TOOR Scans or Project Vinland or Everyday Heroes or XuN. They can also have teams that cram swears into every dialogue bubble or snipe series using crappy MTL or outright use incorrect translations.

Same thing with official translations. You can get excellent translations from places like Kodansha, Denpa, JNC, or even Viz. You can also get groups like TO Books who use Google Translate and pride themselves on it. Hell, there are even times where a company can do an excellent localization for one title and then whiff the next.

What I’m trying to say is simple - if you dislike the accuracy of a translation, then give them feedback. Protest if need be. But do not assume that every localization group is some collection of cackling supervillains whose ultimate goal is to ruin your manga. Because half the time, the change isn’t even directly in their hands.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think taking on a production request like that is included in the responsibilities of an attendant.

Yeah, I don't think a single sword would do too much about spreading their technologies, unless there's a way to magically analyse it and its construction method.

Happy Freya is cute Freya.

Chibi Freya is also cute.

Lucrezia actually pulled something off. That's new.

The kingdom is spelled "Upsaala" and the princess's name is spelled "Uppsala" on page 23. I also think that's the first time her name has been spelled like the Swedish city.

Well, improving shipbuilding and navigation technologies would also help travel safety. But magic is probably a good option to look into.

I find it weird that that was the first ship to arrive, and that he seem somewhat uncertain that it wasn't the first. Considering how much they seem to know, there should've been at least a little more communication between the continents, although not much.

She sure has a way with words. Freya uncensored is awesome.

That sure is a tool created for Freya to use.

"We do not need payment."
Freya immediately notices something sus.

It's long overdue, but Agsilver finally confirmed Uppsala is the intended spelling for Freya's country. We'll switch to this name from now on.
As it should be. As a Swede, I approve.

It does the political maneuvering well without ever feeling frustrating or blowing it away with violence. Everyone is trying to pull one over everyone else, but no one is outright trying to be malicious.
It's probably the closest to slice of life something this heavily political can get.

Dex-chan lover
Seven Seas is usually pretty good about making corrections when they're pointed out, but they really need to learn to just do the job right the first time. I'm not sure if they do it intentionally or if all their staff are just inept; almost every release has errors that they then have to fix later. I've bought a few ebooks from them and every single one of them has has to update at least once with some of them receiving entire pages that had been skipped.

Fed-Kun's army
buy the raw, then learn Japanese
you can do it
go go go

*though I can't recommend using this manga to learn Japanese
I don't think there is a recommendable manga to learn japanese

Fed-Kun's army
It's been a while since we've been reminded of her time spent among sailors, lol @ pg 28.

(Presumably the full sentence would be "You know, as they say, if you're doing it, raw just feels better")
Makes sense

Dex-chan lover
I don't think there is a recommendable manga to learn japanese
haha

I would recommend any title with a "high school" setting
preferably a "slice of life" or a "very mild romance" genre
and then choose one where there is furigana in the raw

one good example is the girl forgetting her glasses
or anything close to that

the reason is that because with that specific setting, the conversation is something that you will actually see in actual conversation or in actual Japanese lesson,
so even the kanji you read will not be something wild that you've never seen while studying Japanese

if you're willing to read kids manga, then something like Kobo-chan and Kariage-kun is really good material to use

Dex-chan lover
It's like what I've said before - if you really want to support the manga-ka, this is the best way to do it.

Buying the raws yourself not only ensures more of your money goes to the mangaka, but also boosts the sales figures in Japan, which is the REAL determining factor in whether or not a manga gets to continue publication.
well,
I do still buy the English releases for some titles from time-to-time,
the main reason I bought them is because I want to re-read and re-read them again in the future
I hate to say, but I like the guarantee of owning stuffs and not just consuming them online
not that I'm saying mangadex will go away anytime soon, but... who knows...

and also, I don't have a lot of money to throw away to buy collectible shelf stuffs
I prefer to buy things that I will actually use
so for manga with heavy story like this one, I'd prefer to buy the English version
not that I've bought any volume for this manga yet, but I've bought some others

When they make these licensing deals, there's no accounting for the sales figures. They simply sell the publication rights at a fixed cost with no scaling or adjustment for the number of copies actually sold.
This is not true for printed copies.
Manga are licensed based on the numbers of copies being printed, with a minimum number of copies specified in the contract, the more copies they print, the more they pay in licenses.
Unless USA publishers are offered different types of contract that is the way manga are usually licensed in most countries (99% sure it works that way in all Europe).

Obviously if you want to support the authors buy the japanese volumes, since they directly get royalties on each copy sold (~10% of retail price).

Supporter
Thank you for the chapter!

This is still one of my favorite isekai. It does the political maneuvering well without ever feeling frustrating or blowing it away with violence. Everyone is trying to pull one over everyone else, but no one is outright trying to be malicious. It makes it interesting and just fun to read.
Agreed, I keep starting from chapter 1 over and over again

MD@Home
It's long overdue, but Agsilver finally confirmed Uppsala is the intended spelling for Freya's country. We'll switch to this name from now on.
It's spelled as 'Upsala' and 'Upsaala', though I forget what page it was on.

Did.....
Did Freya really gonna say "raw dog"?
Truly like a sailor this lass spoke...

Dex-chan lover
I think a lot of Mangaka would like to do this, except that the issue is with the publishers in Japan. They often have a clause of exclusive publishing rights where only the publisher can decide on who gets the right to publish licensed translations.

The only way around this would be if the mangaka could self-publish their own work and maintain sole IP ownership so they can decide for themselves who to license distribution rights of translated versions of their work.
Not "often" always. They always include the exclusive rights to publish. That includes rights to publish overseas too.

Users who are viewing this thread